Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Looking for a "overhead console" to put in 89 f150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110115-looking-for-a-overhead-console-to-put-in-89-f150.html)

SCRebel 10-24-2011 04:17 PM

Looking for a "overhead console" to put in 89 f150

I am looking for a decent looking "overhead console", something that maybe I can paint to match the interior. Looking for one to mount next the windshield b/t the sun visors. I am really just looking for something to mount 3-5 aux switches to.

Pics too please, if they are mounted in your rig.

Edgethis 10-24-2011 04:24 PM

If you're wanting switches, go for the center console or something. Just think about all those wires running around the windshield. The EB Explorer and even the EB Bronco I think had a overhead console that fits into our truck and matches interiors.

SCRebel 10-24-2011 07:12 PM

Well I have the factory console, but if I mounted the switched it would have to be inside. On the front of my center console I plan to mount my cb (Its a big cb).

I plan to mount one switch in the dash, for some KC off road lights on grill guard and one more for a powered rear window, but I wanted a overhead console for more switches. I plan to put some KC lights on the toolbox, rear bumper w/ lights in it, and kinda wanted some strobes. lol.

I'll check out the EB bronco overhead console. Thanks

SCRebel 10-24-2011 07:18 PM

Not having any luck finding the eb bronco console, know where I can find them.

Edgethis 10-24-2011 07:26 PM

Ford Bronco F150 F-250 F-350 Overhead Console 1992-96 - 102111OC28 | eBay

Not as much room for switches as I thought.

hammerhead90 10-24-2011 11:38 PM

Also check out conversion vans. I got a small wood overhead console from one at pull-a-part. I did find another much nicer one in a centurion truck, So I have no need for it anymore.

86F150302 10-24-2011 11:48 PM

over head console? - PowerStrokeNation

SCRebel 10-25-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Edgethis (Post 10958125)

Yeah you're right.

SCRebel 10-25-2011 08:37 AM

Thanks guys, Looks like I might have to build my own. I am not wanting something huge, just something with enough room for 3-4 aux switches, and to tell what each one does.

892504x4 10-26-2011 11:56 PM

Are you set on having the switches mounted in an overhead console?
My pickup has a cassette holder in the dash right of the steering column and I covered it with a piece of aluminum.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_PA260009.jpg
End Result
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_PA260008.jpg

SCRebel 10-27-2011 10:23 AM

Thats kinda neat, never thought about putting it there. I have thought about doing something like that in the ash trey.

No I am not set on the overhead console, I just didn't want the switches in my center console.

rikard 10-27-2011 10:37 AM

Check out some of the conversion vans in the JY or some of the sites that cater to the vanners.
rikard

SCRebel 10-27-2011 01:28 PM

Ok, I'll check them out

starkid7345 01-13-2012 01:06 AM

in my crew i have the overhead trip computer console from a ford areostar mini van. my dad first had 4 switches and a clock in it but im re-doing it to fit my 8 switches that i need to run all of my lights.

frederic 01-13-2012 07:07 AM

I have a crewcab and that gave me a little more space to play with, so I used a chrysler minivan overhead console.

http://frederic.woodbridgedata.com/p...console-12.JPG

UNTAMND 01-13-2012 07:57 AM

Ooh. That minivan console looks good. I'll have to look for one.
I have red interior also, and that matches nicely.
Do we have a double thick roof panel. How did you secure it to roof.

TheWhiteBeast 01-13-2012 08:56 AM

If he has a CB he needs the little cubby hole for his can of copenhagen/skoal/grizzly whatever he chews.

frederic 01-13-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by UNTAMND (Post 11277708)
Ooh. That minivan console looks good. I'll have to look for one.
I have red interior also, and that matches nicely.
Do we have a double thick roof panel. How did you secure it to roof.

The console was covered with really beat up grey fabric originally.... what I did was peel that off and wire-wheel the plastic trying to give it a wood-grain kind of texture, then I painted the frame of it red to reasonably match my interior so the overhead console would look "intentional".

I attached it by drilling two small holes in the interior steel moulding that surrounds the windshield, then installing standoffs inside at the back to the original factory interior light mount - which also passes electricity BTW, so below each standoff is an eyering with a wire coming off, thus powering the overhead console much the way the factory light would.

It's not supported in the middle, but it's a very light plastic console even though it's long, so it doesn't vibrate or wobble with daily driving.

It originally had a digital compass/clock/ambient temperature gauge on the front, and when I pulled the console out of the junkyard I also pulled the temp sensor off the van as well as the compass sensor and the compass sensor controller module, and this made for a really nice setup I thought. I eventually added a second temperature sensor and a spdt switch so I could switch between "outside" temperature and "in cabin" temperature. Eventually, the display module burned out, and now it's just a dark spot on the console. I've been meaning to find a replacement as I miss the compass but I'll get to it eventually.

A lot of modern-day SUV's and minivans have very nice overhead consoles, domestic and import - some of them are small which might be more suited for a regular cab and some of them are longer with four map lights and such that would be nice for rear passengers if you have an extended cab or a crewcab like I do.

That was why I installed this in the first place - I had rear passengers in my crewcab who wanted to read, and the factory interior light made it impossible to drive at night with that light on. The angled map lights of the chrysler overhead I put in allowed them to read and I as the driver can still see out the window.

deljac 01-13-2012 06:46 PM

i dont have a pic but ive seen a 95 suburban overhead console put in an 87 and it looked great