Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Rear window struts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1010528-rear-window-struts.html)

XbigXredX 11-14-2010 11:30 PM

Rear window struts

Hi all,

Anyone know how to get the struts off the rear window of a 2002 excursion?

Thanks!

ford_model'a' 11-15-2010 12:53 AM

Yes. You can use a small screwdriver to pry the spring like clip at each end of the gas spring. As you lift or pry the clip out and away from the ball joint connection you will be able to pull the strut off the ball end on the hatch or door frame. Both ends are similar.
Just a note about these struts if you have a 4X4 and you would like the hatch to open a little higher, say 4 or 5 inches you can order the struts meant for the two wheel drive Excursion from Ford.

jh818 11-15-2010 07:48 AM

Be careful when you remove them. Hold the window up with one hand while you remove the strut one at a time. When you pull one strut out, the window will fall down on your head if you don't support it. One strut is not strong enough to support it.

It's best to have some other person hold it for you. Good luck.

jdadamsjr 11-15-2010 08:24 AM

Amen on it's heavy !!!!

I used a 2x4 for support when I replaced mine....

TXSailor 11-15-2010 11:24 AM

Replaced mine on the 4X4 wiht the longer ones (for the 2WD version) last Fridayl. Much better. That glas is HEAVY to be careful.

Also I've bee having "door open" indicator issues with the liftgate switch whic his in the latch on the Driver side. I solved the probme wiht a bit of WD-40 sprayed on the latch from inside and then adjusting the latch bar on the truck. Makes for a solid fit now and no more "Door Open" light!!!

If your gets flackey, ajdust the latch first as the rubber gaskets taek a set "crushed" in the colder weather.

D

XbigXredX 11-16-2010 03:37 PM

As always everyone thanks for all the help!

I have to ask, because people are calling me "ridiculous" when I offer my opinion as to why there would be different struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel version.

So why on G-d's green earth did they make different rear window struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel versions?

Oh in case anyone here would like to call me ridiculous, I said "They likely made two versions as the 2 wheel drive sits lower than the 4 wheel drive which necessitates having the rear hatch go up higher or it would hit the average person in the head even open." Seemed 100% reasonable to me.... but others say "RIDICULOUS!"

Dan Reinbold 11-16-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by XbigXredX (Post 9566662)
As always everyone thanks for all the help!

I have to ask, because people are calling me "ridiculous" when I offer my opinion as to why there would be different struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel version.

So why on G-d's green earth did they make different rear window struts for the 2 wheel and 4 wheel versions?

Oh in case anyone here would like to call me ridiculous, I said "They likely made two versions as the 2 wheel drive sits lower than the 4 wheel drive which necessitates having the rear hatch go up higher or it would hit the average person in the head even open." Seemed 100% reasonable to me.... but others say "RIDICULOUS!"

As for the two different sizes, the height of the vehicle 2wd vs. 4wd is the reason I was told and the only reason I can think of.

Misky6.0 11-16-2010 03:56 PM

4wd struts might be shorter so the open liftgate doesn't
hit the celing in a typical 7' garage - or be too tall for the standard
soccer mom to reach.

Just speculating..

TXSailor 11-17-2010 09:06 AM

The 4WD Strong Arms are shorter to keep the "open height" (when measured from the ground) close to the same as when the 2WD liftgate is opened.

My wife is only 5' 2" and since i changed the Strong Arms out for the lonre ones on myu 4WD, she has to tippy-toe or jump to reach the handle when the lift-gate is open now.

But at leat it does not hit me in the head now!!!!!

D

XbigXredX 11-17-2010 09:57 AM

So I am correct that the 2wd drive Excursion sits lower to the ground, or that the 4 wheel drive sits higher, whichever way you want to look at it.

I can't find any specifications that indicate this, but I kind of presumed it would make sense.

And making them open higher sounds good to me as I constantly hit my head on them now.

To the guys that did the change, any idea how much higher it is now? 3-4 inches or is it more?

1Aauto 11-17-2010 11:02 AM

Here's a video Mike did over here on an Excursion tailgate. It'll give you an idea on how the glass ones pop off too.

We carry the Ford Excursion tailgate struts
Hope this helps,
Tony;)

YouTube - 1AAuto.com Install Replace Tailgate Lift Support Strut Ford Expedition 1997-02

XbigXredX 11-17-2010 12:04 PM

AWESOME!

That's all I can say, that video couldn't show it any simpler!

Just AWESOME!

:-X25

Skip1970 11-29-2010 04:46 AM

wow great video! that guy in it looks crazy! i need to get the 2wd ones!

anyone know the partnumber for the 2wd versions?

fordboy67 11-29-2010 05:44 AM

As stated earlier, once I replaced mine with the two wheel drive versions, my wife couldn't reach the hatch anymore, she has to stand on the hitch to reach it.

jdadamsjr 11-29-2010 09:10 AM

You can fix that by adding a simple leather strap that hangs down from the liftgate, or buy one from another vehicle ...

Your wife will love you again !

XbigXredX 11-29-2010 01:49 PM

Just buy the wife a pair of Prada 6" heels and everyone can benefit..........:-bigparty

Skip1970 11-29-2010 01:53 PM

im gonna see if our local oriely has anything that will work.

Elmo154 12-10-2010 07:46 PM

Looks Simple

I am going to replace the rear struts this week. Looks about the same as replacing the front hood struts. I am getting tired of bumping my head with the slowly dropping rear hatch.

Skip1970 12-10-2010 07:57 PM

well i foudn some new on ebay for the bestr price so i ordered them, waiting on them to arrive still. sick of hitting heat too and it droppign slowly

walock 12-11-2010 08:51 PM

Being 6'8" I was intrigued by lifting the rear hatch higher. I bought the Monroe Max Lift (part # 901466) from Amazon with a bunch of Christmas gifts. The initial height was 78" from ground to the door skin metal. After installation it was 83". This was on a 2000 stock height 4WD XLT with Michellin 265/75 R16. I still have to duck, but it is a definite improvement.

Skip1970 12-12-2010 12:08 AM

i got these ones
Strong Arm - Gas-Charged Lift Support

Part Number: E4139

off ebay brand new, for 29$ and 4$ shipping!

gotta install them tomarrow see i get more height.

wallz 12-12-2010 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by b-uno (Post 9674590)
i got these ones

Let us know how that goes. I needsome new ones and never thought about looking from eBay.

Skip1970 12-13-2010 12:31 AM

wow! allot taller up there after the install! easily clears and im 6'1" with my snowboots on a little more..

it holds the hatch up nice!

im pretty happy with the install! easy with a ladder to support the hatch.

i wish they would raise the hatch bythemselves though instead of just a small assist and holding.

i seens some suv's that they push a button and it opens on their own and then closes auto by it self also. i think it was a chevy im not sure tho.

Beachbumcook 12-23-2010 01:22 AM

Replaced mine today....

Went to O'rielly automotive and they cost $26.95/ea for the "lifetime warrenty brand" that they sell.

They only had the 4x4 size in stock (which is what I have)... so I just got the same one's instead of waiting for them to order in the 2-wheel drive sized struts.

The guy at O'Rielly's even installed them for me (I held the window open for him and he "popped" the clips and replaced each strut. 15 minutes later I was drving away a satisfied customer (you just have to ask nicely)!!!!

Tools needed:

1) 1 pocket knife to pop off old retainer clips.

2) 1 pocket knife (same as above) to slightly loosen/pop off but not all the way the new clips, install strut and push clip back into place to lock struct into place.

Skip1970 12-23-2010 01:24 AM

funny mine started not staying up all the way again! i think these single digits and -f temps are just to hard on the hatch struts!

Beachbumcook 12-23-2010 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by b-uno (Post 9723377)
funny mine started not staying up all the way again! i think these single digits and -f temps are just to hard on the hatch struts!

Hey, my truck is 7 years old... so I guess it's time for stuff to wear out... heck, I even fail to work properly when the temps start getting into the single digits!!!!

Cold weather will always make a bad strut(s) show their ugly heads!!!!

I was surprised how heavy the liftgate was with no struts attached... and even with one new one, it would not stay open... replace both... and it is perfect!!!!

For $26.95/ea and having O'Rielly Automotive install them for me was a no-brainer. I think O'Rielly's C/S was great... but since they install batteries and wipers... why not liftgate struts... so that is why I politely asked if they would install due to being so easy.

Skip1970 12-23-2010 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbumcook (Post 9723386)
Hey, my truck is 7 years old... so I guess it's time for stuff to wear out... heck, I even fail to work properly when the temps start getting into the single digits!!!!

Cold weather will always make a bad strut(s) show their ugly heads!!!!

I was surprised how heavy the liftgate was with no struts attached... and even with one new one, it would not stay open... replace both... and it is perfect!!!!

For $26.95/ea and having O'Rielly Automotive install them for me was a no-brainer. I think O'Rielly's C/S was great... but since they install batteries and wipers... why not liftgate struts... so that is why I politely asked if they would install due to being so easy.

but i just replaced mine with new a week or 2 ago.. dont get that brand i got

Beachbumcook 12-23-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by b-uno (Post 9723405)
but i just replaced mine with new a week or 2 ago.. dont get that brand i got

What brand and where did you buy them at?

Obviously, take them back, get a refund and get new ones or go somewhere else and get a different brand.

jh818 12-23-2010 11:08 AM

I bought mine off ebay last year. Good deal and it holds up well.

Skip1970 12-23-2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by b-uno (Post 9674590)
i got these ones

here is my post :confused:

19Flareside95 12-23-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by XbigXredX (Post 9615799)
Just buy the wife a pair of Prada 6" heels and everyone can benefit..........:-bigparty

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or better yet, the acrylic ones!!!

Ummms 01-02-2011 11:46 PM

ebay was the best deal i could find for getting the replacement rear window supports

$26.98 with free shipping and Lifetime Warranty

Kragen is overprice . . . . you can pretty much always beat their price

its either time or money!

Beachbumcook 01-03-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ummms (Post 9768547)
ebay was the best deal i could find for getting the replacement rear window supports

$26.98 with free shipping and Lifetime Warranty

Kragen is overprice . . . . you can pretty much always beat their price

its either time or money!

Great... glad to hear.

FYI - Got mine at O'Rielly's Auto Parts for the same price... and they to come with a lifetime warrenty. If I have any issues, I just go back to the store and there is not shipping involved. The counter was so nice, he even installed them for me and it took 5 minutes. Since they install wiper blades and batteries, they did the struts for me.

If you find one parts company more than another national brand company, go on-line and print off what you want and then price shop... they will probably price match or beat it... and if you ask nice, they may install for you like they did for me. I am sure here in Kansas City, that Advance, O'rielly's and others will meet each others price for the same "lifetime warrenty window strut"???

I use the internet to find my best price, then go to the local parts store and negotiate... if I get what I want great... if not, then I just order on-line. Obviously sales tax and shipping have to be factored into the equation when necessary... and if you can afford to wait for the part to be shipped.

Glad it worked out for you... that's what is important.

Skip1970 01-11-2011 10:54 PM

well they sent me some new ones, i think one of the others leaked out out.. anyhow i put them in backwards of the way i put the other ones in this time,.

what way are your guys installed? what end on gate and what end on body?

last time i replaced them how they were already, maybe the previous owner had them in wrong.

Jimbabwe52 08-20-2016 01:18 AM

Mike's video

Originally Posted by 1ATony (Post 9570228)
Here's a video Mike did over here on an Excursion tailgate. It'll give you an idea on how the glass ones pop off too.

We carry the Ford Excursion tailgate struts
Hope this helps,
Tony;)

YouTube - 1AAuto.com Install Replace Tailgate Lift Support Strut Ford Expedition 1997-02

The video Mike made covers the back gate, but does not offer the guidance on the glass supports. Those on my Expedition are different than the ones for the back gate and the hood. Well, I've replaced the hood supports, but not had to replace the back gate, and have no reason to believe those are different than the video shows. The back glass supports are definitely different in the way they are secured and I'm unable to find any guidance anywhere... okay... I DO have a Chilton guide, but have not consulted it yet for the supports I have ordered from 1A.