Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Regular gasoline at $3.20 per gallon (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/356578-regular-gasoline-at-3-20-per-gallon.html)

t_j82 04-02-2005 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by captchas
how about a diesel tank that holds 780 gals and feeds 2- 485 hp 6-71 detroits at 2.89 per gal. marine gas here will be 3.50 per as of today for our local lake. no reg any where on it only h.t.

I wonder if you can use red dye on a boat? It is off road after all }>

oldscout 04-02-2005 09:15 AM

I am going to add my 2 cents in here. I was reading a article the other day on fuel prices. One of the reason, that no one here has talked about,are the people that buy futures. Just like orange juice when a big freeze has hit the orange producing states, or the vegitable states, and you would think that there would be more orange juice just less eating oranges, the price of juice goes up. Gas futures is something rich people speculate on. They are expecting high oil prices and are buying large quanities of oil futures. Here are the rich getting richer because they all know that we have no choice but to buy gas. This article was blaming this as most of the rise in the gas prices right now.

howardlj 04-02-2005 10:01 AM

This increase in oil is the result of a high demand and limited supply. Most OPEC countries cannot increase output, and furthermore most refineries are running longer between turnarounds and running at near full capacity. The extra demand is not coming from the Western world but from countries like China, China, and China. Oh I forgot India, India, and India. These countries are so far behind the rest of us that any signs of modernization there will keep pushing up oil prices and gasoline prices at home. The pundits out there basically agree that the Iraq and speculating factors are no longer a component of the price of oil. At its peak these factors contributed about $10-12/barrel. Now it's much, much less and the price of oil is DEMAND driven. I guess I'll be driving my new F350 V10 (coming at mid-month from Jeff) a lot less if oil gets to $105/barrel.

I feel badly for those who need their trucks for business and can't pass on the fuel increase as a surcharge. What, by the way, would that do to our Ford forum small businessmen? Would your customers accept a fuel surcharge? For those businesses that do competitive bidding, the winning bids will come predominately from those business owners who do not have to travel and do business to far from home. The cost of business will go up; this will translate into inflation and higher interest rates by the Fed. and we'll end up in another business bubble. Maybe we are headed towards another recession.

All of these problems, in my opinion, are coming from the accetance of having a global economy. Unfortunately, this hurts our employment since jobs are exported out of the USA to countries that have cheap, cheap labor. My company no longer hires new engineering graduates from American universites but hires foreign engineers and open foreign offices where labor and business is done for a lot less. Then their profit goes up. Good for US businesses but BAD for US workers. Their defense is that they want to be globally responsible. I say be responsible for your own people first and then help the less fortunate. Soon the shoe will be on the other foot and we'll be, if not now, the unfortunates. I just spent big $$$ paying for tuition, board and room for my son who has a degree in chemical engineering with a 3.60 GPA and can't get a job. The global economy means less for Americans and more for others. It's time to call a spade a spade and get this country back into prosperity. Jobs are being created here but for those unemployed returning to the work force generally are accepting less pay just to bring home the bacon. On the other hand and in spite of these economic conditions, I would not want to live outside of this grand land. We just need to get back to business.

Weevil 04-02-2005 10:14 AM

$105 dollar a barrel oil will cause a great recession, consumption will drop, then oil prices will drop for a few years then we do it all over again.

The up side to $100 plus oil will be less traffic and congested roadways for those who can afford the fuel.

The rest of us will cut our driving in half or cut back on groceries.

JFWalker 04-02-2005 02:43 PM

To support commodity prices, the government is paying for millions of acres of farmland to be put in the CRP and not farmed. If the oil companies stranglehold on petrolium/diesel distribution could be broken and we could get soil diesel in the pipeline, a lot of things would change. For one thing, the government and taxpayers would save billions of tax dollars in commodity subsidies. Farmers would get a decent price for their effort. And billions of dollars of our money currently spent on arab oil would stay in this country. Soy diesel doesn't contain sulphur and pollute like dino diesel. You can drink soybean oil. Dino oil, we all know is toxic to the environment. Soybeans (unlike corn) is not a hybrid seed, meaning it is cheap to plant and being a legume, needs no Nitrogen fertilizer meaning it is cheap to grow. I don't see a downside. (If this sounds like a rant, sorry, but I am a farmer)

vansoutriding 04-02-2005 04:40 PM

I bought a 2005 6.0 for the purpose of using a "greener" fuel and be able to enjoy my horses with my 30ft GN trailer at the same time. And I will not complain a bit if I have to pay more for bean oil. I just wish bean oil would make its way to NYS. Go Farmers!!

mlb4966 04-02-2005 08:30 PM

Been a few stories in the news up here about the $105 barrel oil. This 3.20 per gallon might be more like $5-6 per gallon. They also said it would more than likely be a spike then drop. Drop to what I havent a clue. Heck we are paying 2.70 for premium and some place the same for diesel. $1.97 in Anchorage. Need to get a 300 or 500 gallon tank and trailer it over to fill up. Bet the service station would love that. Fill her up please, here is a $1000. What gets me is that we have a refierny right across the street. Our local pump diesel come from there and they ship it out to those places were it is $1.97 or close to that price. HUMMM.

MadMedic20 04-03-2005 08:40 PM

I dont understand why petrol companies are showing so little interest in bio diesel and alternative fuels. They should be leading the way and corning the market instead of fighting it. Everybody wins if they get on the band wagon and help this along.

JFWalker 04-03-2005 08:55 PM

The big petro companies have billions invested in reserves (that are worth more every year with shortages) and refineries. Soy diesel requires no refining, and soy/bio diesel reduces the value of their reserves. Lead the way.... no. They need to be shown the door.

Thomascoupling 04-04-2005 07:07 AM

WHERE TO BUY YOUR GAS,

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.READ ON--

Why didn't George W. think of this?

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.

It might even be good for us!

The Saudis are boycotting American goods.

We should return the favor.

An interesting thought it to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the
coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their
oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up
the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies
are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Arab oil:

Shell..................205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon/Mobil............130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco..................62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at$30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Other oil:

Citgo.......................0 barrels

Sunoco...................0 barrels

Conoco...................0 barrels

Sinclair....................0 barrels

BP/Phillips..............0 barrels

Hess........................0 barrels

ARC0...........................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and
each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.

It's really simple to do.

Now, don't wimp out at this point. Keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people.

If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300
send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it.... THREE HUNDRED MILLION

PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.

How long would all that take?

If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day, all300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next eight days!

mwpierson 04-04-2005 01:38 PM

Sorry, but that info is a spoof... Read this Link

Mike

Weevil 04-04-2005 07:33 PM

Ya, it's one of those email chains that turn out to be untrue. I did some checking and the only companies who don't import from the Gulf region are, Sinclair, Sunoco, and Hess.
Might be a Sinclair around here somewhere but never see Suinoco or Hess.

t_j82 04-05-2005 06:07 AM

Sunoco and Hess are really prevelant in the south. Used them both before I moved back out west and was happy not to send $$$ to the Arab nations. Supposedly Conoco out here does not import either but I cannot absolutely confirm that.

IB Tim 04-05-2005 06:27 AM

You’ve got to love those sites that blow some of these legends out of the water.

02PSD4ME 04-05-2005 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bryyce62
I've read literally all of the 100+ posts here and so far there has been little or no mention of "manipulation" (for lack of a better word) of the market. As a SD owner in CA, I get to pay as much as anyone for gas right now. I also remember the electricity "crisis" of '01 here too. With evidence of energy companies artifically manipulating the price of power in order to bilk CA residents for no other reason than greed, I can't help but think that it is happening all over again, this time with oil. The only difference is that now it's on a national level. I think that it's funny how the news media convieniently reports that "oil prices will rise sharply in the next few weeks" then the next morning you're paying a dime a gallon more for fuel. (My 1 way commute to work is 50 miles.)

I'm sure y'all are right that developing countries have impacted the supply/demand equation. But pay attention to oil companies' earnings. You watch, you'll see record profits by all the big CO's. I'm talking multi-billion dollar profits...for 1 year!! PROFIT, money in the bank!! That begs the question, at what point does it become just plain robbery?

Am I the only one that feels this way??

I feel the above is true also...