Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   This is the planning & info thread for the September 2019 PA Truckstock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558418-this-is-the-planning-and-info-thread-for-the-september-2019-pa-truckstock.html)

bhalemail 07-09-2019 07:43 AM

Jim, you've got a panel truck so just bring an extra working carburetor, distributor, points, a couple rolls of duct tape and some zip strips! oh and a toolbox of course. You can hid it all int he back :)

Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel (Post 18743981)
Hey Bob. I'm planning on coming. Like you, I'm trying to get all the bugs worked out of my truck before the epic September adventure. My truck has been running great, and I've been doing a lot of running around with it, but Just today a problem surfaced.

I was pulling into a gas station, and the engine died--and it wouldn't re-start. I tried all the usual tricks, but nothing worked. Finally, I tried starter fluid, and the engine came back to life. It wouldn't stay running, however, and stalled out three times in traffic getting to my mechanic friend's shop. Each time I had to get out, pop the hood, and give the carb a shot of starter fluid. (and all the while blocking one lane of traffic on the main highway that goes through town).

Fortunately, it didn't take long for my friend to diagnose the problem. The spring for the carb adjustment screw was weak allowing the screw to vibrate out of adjustment. It should be an easy fix, but it would have been a royal pain to have something like this happen on a deserted highway in the middle nowhere far away from my resourceful friend.

Tom, it's good to see you are continuing to make progress. You should be ready to go for September.

Jim

bhalemail 07-09-2019 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 18744020)
Jim either become resourceful or bring your mechanic along. I one had to use a rubber band for a throttle linkage return.

Seriously I pack a lot of spare parts like carburetor, generator, water pump, lights, gallons of anti-freeze and oil spare tires, tape and wire. Along with my floor jack and car stands. Hopefully I have everything I need. If not I have towing insurance and will have the truck towed to the nearest storage place, rent a car and come back with a truck and trailer. If I have to come back I'll just consider it part of the adventure and have another good story to tell in my old age.😁

Yep, what he said !

bhalemail 07-09-2019 07:48 AM

Abe, what is the deal with visiting and parking our trucks. I'm close enough and busy enough that i won't be staying overnight(probably) but is there some kind of limit on parking?
If so i'll see if i can get a spot just for parking for us locals and anyone that needs room.

petemcl 07-09-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 18744459)
Here are guys that showed interest last year. I will have to see if they are interested for this year:

DR Smith (GA/NY), pweng (MD), Jolly Roger Joe (VA), Petemcl (MI), Dave Drptop (NY), Gary 89gtstang (PA), Jim 26 Tudor (York PA), Mark 49FordV8F4 (AR), Bob Hangar 53, and maybe if we convince him, Indy Beer will bring his beautiful 54 back to the state it came from!

Hi Abe,
i would have really liked to have visited that great part of Pennsylvania again. Lots to see and do and great to meet all the people who have shared such great info over the years. But my truck is not yet in condition for that long a trip. I guess I could trailer it but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it. Maybe next year.

Meanwhile those of you coming from the west (Jim, Bob, ...) if you need a place to stay on your way down or back just let me know. We have lots of room. We are easy to find just off I-275 @ the 8 Mile Road exit.

abe 07-09-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by petemcl (Post 18744826)
Hi Abe,
i would have really liked to have visited that great part of Pennsylvania again. Lots to see and do and great to meet all the people who have shared such great info over the years. But my truck is not yet in condition for that long a trip. I guess I could trailer it but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it. Maybe next year.

Meanwhile those of you coming from the west (Jim, Bob, ...) if you need a place to stay on your way down or back just let me know. We have lots of room. We are easy to find just off I-275 @ the 8 Mile Road exit.

Dennis and I trailered his blue 54 two years ago when we went to KY Truckstock.

Or come in your daily driver. I'll need someone to drive one of my trucks.

abe 07-09-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bhalemail (Post 18744823)
Abe, what is the deal with visiting and parking our trucks. I'm close enough and busy enough that i won't be staying overnight(probably) but is there some kind of limit on parking?
If so i'll see if i can get a spot just for parking for us locals and anyone that needs room.

I'm not sure Bill. That is a good question. I'll call the office and find out about guests parking.

bhalemail 07-09-2019 11:51 AM

WOW, ok i just called my wife about seeing if she wanted to "Tent Camp" that weekend as i was going to reserve a tent spot in sycamore loop for Fri and Sat
However...she so kindly informed me that our niece is getting married that weekend and my truck has been requested at the wedding barn Friday Night and Saturday (wedding day) for pictures. (yes, i'll post them!)

So it looks as though i'm going to likely take off work Friday and just drive up, meet some people, and hang out for a while...with the truck of course.
Depending on how many show up Thursday, i could drive up after work that day as well.

I'm NOT cancelling but that was as close as it gets! The reasoning for a wedding that weekend, according to my wife, was that the groom is a PSU football fanatic and there is NO game that weekend so they chose that weekend as to not conflict with the game. Last year my other niece got married on PSU vs Ohio State weekend and that kind of did not go over with some very well. Looking back at it, that logic would never have flown with my wife when we got marring 30 yrs ago!

bhalemail 07-09-2019 11:54 AM

Another thought would be for ALL OF US to bring our trucks to the wedding for pictures. Hmm, that would be very very unique to say the least. It's only about 5 miles north of rte 220 along rte 44(Pine Creek).
No sure the bride would appreciate all the attention on the trucks though :)

Doc 07-09-2019 01:01 PM

511 miles, 8 1/2 hours driving on the freeways OR 525 miles, 11 hours if I avoid the freeways. Hmmmmm...... I'm gonna be the guy I used to hate when I had the big running Truckstock threads back in the day and ask where the MAJORITY of the attendees are staying around who's central campfire/picnic area, and are there still cabins, rooms, or camper sites in that immediate area? (not a half mile down the road). I've learned one thing about the various Truckstock events over the years--I want to stay right where everybody is. If the moon and stars align, I may do this if my daughters' crazy school/athletic schedules agree.......

bhalemail 07-09-2019 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 18745366)
511 miles, 8 1/2 hours driving on the freeways OR 525 miles, 11 hours if I avoid the freeways. Hmmmmm...... I'm gonna be the guy I used to hate when I had the big running Truckstock threads back in the day and ask where the MAJORITY of the attendees are staying around who's central campfire/picnic area, and are there still cabins, rooms, or camper sites in that immediate area? (not a half mile down the road). I've learned one thing about the various Truckstock events over the years--I want to stay right where everybody is. If the moon and stars align, I may do this if my daughters' crazy school/athletic schedules agree.......

Here is a link to an interactive camp site picking page.
The truck group is staying in the Sycamore loop and from my recollection pretty much everyone would be within a few minute walk of each other but i'll let Abe elaborate since this is his deal and he knows the situation way better than I

https://pennsylvaniastateparks.reser...&parkId=880133

bhalemail 07-09-2019 02:49 PM

Here is a zoomed in aerial view of the sycamore loop and camp sites along it
scale is on the bottom to the right. My guess is that it would take 10-15 minutes or so to walk around the entire loop.
The larger building in the upper middle of the loop is the bath house and i think there are foot paths from the farthest camp sites that go directly towards it so you wouldn't have to walk all around the outside.
There is a larger field/grassy area around the bath house which would be cool if we are able to park trucks there assuming the grass is dry of course. Maybe DCNR will be in a good mood that weekend otherwise i wouldn't expect them to allow that.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...88d01e0891.png

Doc 07-09-2019 02:57 PM

Awesome. Thanks!!! That looks like a perfect type area. So everybody in that area is gonna stay in a camper or yurt?

bhalemail 07-09-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 18745526)
Awesome. Thanks!!! That looks like a perfect type area. So everybody in that area is gonna stay in a camper or yurt?

Or a tent. Some don't have electric either

Doc 07-09-2019 03:29 PM

I just reserved an electric spot on that loop.

bhalemail 07-09-2019 03:42 PM

:-X22 (electric is a good idea even if you have a tent and it's not much more).
September can be mid 80's or in the 50's and 60's
I was going to get an electric site if nothing else than for a small heater for my tent, of course if we need to weld on anything we could always plug that in. I think they are 50 and 30 AMP outlets. I made an adapter for my 30 AMP hobart :)