Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

ebodell 05-08-2011 06:48 PM

Lubed the front end, checked the brake pads, and changed the plugs. I was very surprised that none of the plugs were fouled at all, they actually looked pretty good and most likely did not really need to be changed but I already had a new set. I wanted to run the truck for a while after the DSII swap to validate that I had everything sorted out before I changed plugs. I was shocked though that after 146K miles the truck does not seem to burn any oil (leaking it is another story though). Says alot for the durability of the old 300 six.
Now that I have almost all of the maintenance items cleared up I can try and rub out the paint and perhaps do a bit of bodywork.

Galendor 05-08-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ebodell (Post 10316880)
Lubed the front end, checked the brake pads, and changed the plugs. I was very surprised that none of the plugs were fouled at all, they actually looked pretty good and most likely did not really need to be changed but I already had a new set. I wanted to run the truck for a while after the DSII swap to validate that I had everything sorted out before I changed plugs. I was shocked though that after 146K miles the truck does not seem to burn any oil (leaking it is another story though). Says alot for the durability of the old 300 six.
Now that I have almost all of the maintenance items cleared up I can try and rub out the paint and perhaps do a bit of bodywork.

Have you changed the transmission and differential oil yet? When you do, you'll find that our 4 speed OD tranny does not have a drain plug. Kind of irritating, you have to suck the oil out through the filler plug.

ebodell 05-08-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Galendor (Post 10316934)
Have you changed the transmission and differential oil yet? When you do, you'll find that our 4 speed OD tranny does not have a drain plug. Kind of irritating, you have to suck the oil out through the filler plug.

Hey Galendor,
I did change the trans fluid. Kind of a pain and the fluid I pulled out looked almost new (of course). I have not done the rear differential yet as I have not located the filler plug (kind of embarrasing). I think it is under a bunch of grease and mud.
Not having a drain plug in the trans was not one of the better ideas.

Galendor 05-08-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 10316769)
Interesting. Didn't know there was supposed to be something in the end of the hose, but it sure begged for something so I put an old fuel filter there. Looks dorky, but how many people are going to see it?!

Fuel filter on there is a good idea. I think the plastic cap on mine should hopefully keep water from entering, but a fuel filter should do the same thing. I fretted for a while trying to decide if the open end of the tube should point down, up, or be horizontal. Seem like down would be best, that way gravity should keep water out. But in the end I pointed it up because it seemed like that's how the plastic cap was designed to work.

Galendor 05-08-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ebodell (Post 10316944)
Hey Galendor,
I did change the trans fluid. Kind of a pain and the fluid I pulled out looked almost new (of course). I have not done the rear differential yet as I have not located the filler plug (kind of embarrasing). I think it is under a bunch of grease and mud.
Not having a drain plug in the trans was not one of the better ideas.

Hey Erik,

I know, how irresponsible to not design a drain plug. Why?
If your differential is the same as mine (Axle code 18 on the door), it is a 3.08 ratio non limited slip. If so, the filler plug is on the front drivers side of the differential. Hopefully you won't find chocolate milk in yours like I did.

ebodell 05-08-2011 07:28 PM

Thanks Galendor,
I think we have the same rear axle, although mine is a 2.75 ratio (I know that seems crazy high to me). I did not look on the driver's side only the passenger side. Mine seeps a bit of fluid so I am kind of concerned at what I am going to find. I have kind of hesitated driving it a long distance until I could check the rear differential out.
Thanks for the tip, going out to check it now before it gets too dark.

ebodell 05-08-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Galendor (Post 10316971)
Hey Erik,

I know, how irresponsible to not design a drain plug. Why?
If your differential is the same as mine (Axle code 18 on the door), it is a 3.08 ratio non limited slip. If so, the filler plug is on the front drivers side of the differential. Hopefully you won't find chocolate milk in yours like I did.

Found it! Encased in a sarcophagus of mud/grease. Hopefully I can get it changed out this week.
Thanks again Galendor for the tip!

phurst 05-09-2011 07:51 AM

I replaced both U joints this weekend. It was squealing like a stuck pig. Two of the caps on the front joint had grease and dirt instead of bearings. The project went pretty well for my first time, requiring only one return trip tot he parts store, because they sold me the wrong front joint. I should have double checked after the kid at the aprts counter said "u-joint, that's part of the suspension, right?" :-roll

dohc_chump 05-09-2011 10:57 AM

Over the weekend got my front end back together (finally). So after 7 months, the '84 is back to being a 4x4 now... :-X04 Next weekend, if the weather plays nice, I'll be dropping the '72 Windsor in it. Also aligned it in the driveway to get it close. After it's able to chug-a-lug down the road, a buddy is bringing it to his shop to get it dead nuts on. Sooooo close now....

TheKirbyMan 05-09-2011 06:03 PM

Took 780 pounds of junk to the scrap yard, made $70 :D

I had a fridge, a washer, a deep freeze, several computer cases, a bike, the original front bumper from my truck (it was bent and had melted areas where I had the bolts torched off), and some small stuff.

My truck pulled it like it was nothing. :D

Dorsai 05-14-2011 04:01 PM

Replaced the factory original shocks on my '80 F-150 with new ones. Now I can go over speed bumps without wishing for Dramamine!

ebodell 05-14-2011 04:42 PM

Changed the oil in the differential this morning. The axle was almost dry as I got less than a pint out of it. The cover was leaking quite a bit so I assume that is where most of it was lost. Hopefully I did a better job than the PO of getting the cover sealed this time.
My receiver hitch came this week as well so hopefully I can get the it installed and the truck wired so I can pull my boat.

TheKirbyMan 05-14-2011 09:23 PM

Ebodell, LMC sells an in-line trailer wiring harness ("T-connect" type) for our trucks. From what I understand, you just disconnect a connector under the bed, and connect the two halves to each side of the T-connect.

I found out about it less than a week after I had cut wires and (properly and cleanly) spliced in a trailer wiring harness on my own truck. I was rather annoyed to say the least. lol

LMC Truck Parts - Page 83

Item #49-4192.

I didn't do anything to my truck today....though I think I figured out the trick to getting my left turn signal to work right (it only works sometimes, the switch in the column is messed up).

ebodell 05-14-2011 09:58 PM

Thanks for the tip Kirby. I doubt I could wire one in for less than the $20.00 it is listed at (not counting my frustration as wiring is not one of my favorite things to do).

ctubutis 05-14-2011 10:36 PM

Amazon:

Amazon.com: Hopkins Plug-In Simple 40115 T Connector Wiring Kit For Ford Pickups (All Sizes & Bronco) '80-86: Automotive