Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   2018 edition TorquePro 7.3L PSD Tablet / Phone PID Monitoring (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523900-2018-edition-torquepro-7-3l-psd-tablet-phone-pid-monitoring.html)

Sous 09-26-2018 03:56 PM

EBP, MAP and BARO should all be within .5 of each other on a cold engine with the engine off and the key on. Normally that is around 14.x if memory serves me right.

Albryant71 09-26-2018 08:26 PM

Torque pro question

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 18216639)
EBP, MAP and BARO should all be within .5 of each other on a cold engine with the engine off and the key on. Normally that is around 14.x if memory serves me right.

thanks alot--ebp had been 2psi below map and intake--i just cleaned the ebps line and rechecked with torque pro, all 3 lined up on 14.4...I never would have believed it!

brian42 09-27-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 18216639)

That's about right. 14.7 psia is sea level. As you get up in elevation your psia goes down so Sous' first statement of the sensors being within .5 of each other is the most prudent.

axmrdr 11-02-2018 08:28 AM

I'm in need of some sage advise from the diesel gurus. Over the last week I've been scowering over the threads regarding Torque Pro and FAQs, tablets and PIDs. I've been looking at the screenshots and wondering if I have my gauges set up to watch the things I need to be watching.

My truck is stock except for 6637? air filter and a DPTuner that runs 80hp tunes most of the time. I rarely pull anything 'heavy'. No other extra gauges that didn't come on a Lariat truck.

Please have a look at the photo and advise me to any changes that I need to make or PIDs to look at. I'm not quite finished with it yet but it is close. Screenshot of 75mph on the freeway.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...7a2dcda10f.jpg

brian42 11-02-2018 09:19 AM

That's pretty much what I watch.

Since you are running tunes I highly recommend an EGT gage. Stock tuning is not an issue but once you venture outside that realm things can get hot quicker than you think. I had a tuner for awhile before I installed an EGT gage. After I did I realized that everyone else was right when they were telling me to install one before the tuner.

Just my 2¢

L-ight 11-02-2018 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by brian42 (Post 18282956)
That's pretty much what I watch.

Since you are running tunes I highly recommend an EGT gage. Stock tuning is not an issue but once you venture outside that realm things can get hot quicker than you think. I had a tuner for awhile before I installed an EGT gage. After I did I realized that everyone else was right when they were telling me to install one before the tuner.

Just my 2¢

Do you need an EGT or can the Torque Pro 2 app measure it?

axmrdr 11-02-2018 12:10 PM

I'm almost certain that it takes a separate sensor - I don't think the PCM has an output for it. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.
Adding one is on the to-do list.

When I was talking to Jody at DPTuners he said that as long as I didn't change anything else (engine wise) to the truck that he felt safe for me to run without the gauge with the 80hp tune, so I haven't installed a gauge yet. He did say having one is a great idea though. That was 8? years ago. That's what got me interested in this thread, .....adding gauges on the cheap.

brian42 11-02-2018 12:16 PM

The two paramters that Torque cannot monitor are EGT and fuel pressure (okay, so you can't see coolant temp either, but that's not as important).

Ford did not install sensors for those two functions so must be added by you to monitor. The transmission temperature sensor is accurate but the gage on the dash is not (it is but only shows in the normal range for a wide temperature range).

There are many options out there depending on your budget and your personal taste/desires but any EGT gage will come with a probe. If you were to go with a monitor (e.g. Edge Insight) then you will have an option to buy a probe for it.

It will not work with Torque Pro because there is nowhere to hook the probe to your phone. There has to be a physical connection between the probe wires and the gage/readout unit.

axmrdr 11-02-2018 12:39 PM

I forgot to thank you Brian42, that makes me feel better about the set up. I looked at some of the other photos and didn't understand why they were monitoring some of the things they were, then it hit me that they probably already have gauges that are showing the other information.

brian42 11-02-2018 01:11 PM

Yes. Gages have been around a lot longer than Torque and FORScan.

The common setup "back in the day" was EGT, boost, and transmission temp. As time and technology has progressed we now have boost and trans temp via electronic OBD2 means. I won't say my trans temp is useless but it is not as critical as it used to be (at least that's what I tell myself). My gage has a dedicated sensor giving me something to cross-check against the truck's sensor.

Honestly the only critical parameter that you need to monitor outside of your setup is EGT. Fuel pressure is nice and can be helpful when you run into problems but I wouldn't consider it critical with just tuning IMO. An external boost gage can be beneficial depending on your setup, tuning, and preference, but not required. I've got 5 gages and I use them (boost, driver side EGT, passenger side EGT, fuel pressure, trans temp). If I were doing things over right now (hindsight is a wonderful thing, right?) I would re-do everything except trans temp. It's nice to have it there on the dash any time I want to look at it but I can easily flip a page on my Torque Pro to get to it also.

axmrdr 11-02-2018 01:37 PM

I don't trust my temp gauge in the dash, it either is zero or about 60%. Nice to have an idea of what is going on under the hood with the Torque and tablet.
After reading here that the trans temp is so critical, (suspect it only gets high when pulling heavy), I thought I'd add it to the mix.
I'm considering building an angled slip in tablet holder to fit in the pocket in the dash. That should make it easily removable if needed.
I'll post pics if I can get it to work.

caedo 11-05-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by brian42 (Post 18283427)
I've got 5 gages and I use them (boost, driver side EGT, passenger side EGT, fuel pressure, trans temp).

I have the exact same physical gauge setup in addition to torque pro. I like having these because in my mind they are the most critical and they will always be there, no matter if I don't have my torque running for whatever reason (messing with PIDs, forgot it at home, etc.). It's okay to have redundancy in a monitoring system, and having the physical gauges is a good backup that I turn to frequently.

portsample 11-05-2018 12:08 PM

Speed and MPG on Torque Pro gone to zero, but I'm moving and running: where is the error?

Driving into work today, I noticed that TorquePro was showing speed and mpg as zero, however tachometer, volts and temp all were as expected. Fuel flow was also working correctly. I was moving (45mph) at the time with the motor running. I wonder if this is a software (TorquePro) problem, or an adapter, or possibly ECU problem. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Happy Monday.

Sous 11-05-2018 12:30 PM

TP is very, very finicky and will do what it wants, when it wants.

If your MPH gauge was working OK in the truck, maybe try removing the TP gauge and re-adding it. I have a hate/hate relationship with TP, so I am jaded on the subject.

Wes444 11-05-2018 02:53 PM

When i recently brought the tablet in the house it updated a bunch of stuff for the first time in about a year, TP and ForScan had some update in there too, now a lot of the gauges show zero and i don't have as many sensors showing up. Guess i have to wait 2 hours for it to automatically search for pids and get them working again. Basically I'm not motivated to mess with TP until i plan another long trip in case it does it again b4 then. I have better ways to spend 4 hours of my time, ForScan will give me info way easier if i need to diagnose until then, just not as pretty to look at while driving tho