Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   Welcome To The January 2017 BS Thread! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1468926-welcome-to-the-january-2017-bs-thread.html)

Nighteyez 01-21-2017 04:29 PM

Not to change the subject, but another famous person who was very nice in person was Tennessee Ernie Ford. My dad told this story several times during my childhood:

While working at a restaurant as a "chief cook and bottle washer" they were swamped with customers one Saturday night, and consequently the patrons were getting a little annoyed at the delays in service. Mr Ford, who happened to be there that night, got up and went into the back of the restaurant and helped them wash dishes so they could get caught up. I don't remember when this was, or even what restaurant, but I will always remember his actions. I would imagine it was in the 60's, but I don't remember dad working in a restaurant, so it must have been early 60's when I was like 4 or 5.

Jim

NumberDummy 01-21-2017 06:00 PM

Tennessee Ernie Ford's TV show was sponsored by Chevrolet.

He'd say during the commercials (which were live), 'this Ford is telling you to buy a Chevrolet.'

Back then, this didn't bother me all the much, because my dad was an Olds dealer.

wpnaes 01-22-2017 08:46 PM

Looks like Long Beach won the rain contest today. No shortage of geniuses driving thru deep water today needing rescue.:-X21:-X21:-X21

turbohunter 01-22-2017 08:51 PM

Kinda nice to be rollin' a 4 wheeler on these days.

Yama4fitty 01-22-2017 11:27 PM

And all the idiots taking the "opportunity" to raft on the waterways. I say it is natural selection. :-drink

SpringerPop 01-23-2017 12:40 AM

Darwin was right, in so many ways!

Pop

djed 01-23-2017 02:13 AM

drove my daughter to a friend's house today at 3:30. Flood waters overran the sidewalk and were 6 inch deep through the right hand lane along Ventura Blvd. I wish I was in the truck but my daughter doesn't like being seen in it. Did just fine in the family sedan but was careful to avoid the puddles. I'm told there will be thunderstorms tomorrow at 7am when I take her to school.

Nighteyez 01-23-2017 06:41 AM

I would take the truck, regardless of her opinions. However, that is just me. :)

Jim

SpringerPop 01-23-2017 08:43 AM

Oh, can I remember those days of "I don't want to be seen in your car".

My step-son rode his bike home from junior high school, but always wanted a ride in the morning TO school. Luckily I had a station wagon back then. We had a dedicated place (away from the other kids' view), about two blocks from school, where he wished to be dropped off. He would then ride the remaining distance.

Those sure were different times!

Pop

wpnaes 01-23-2017 09:00 AM

Gotta pic of that old station wagon?

I remember ours was the first car I got to drive at 16. We'd add a qt of oil nearly every other fill up and Dad and I would change plugs every 6 months or so due to oil fouling. 396ci that consistently got 13mpg.

SpringerPop 01-23-2017 10:48 AM

No, I don't have a photo. However, it was a 1984 LTD, and looked something like this:

https://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-.../1984-ford.jpg

It was my company car, and was the best of the available choices I had at the time.

The rental provided before this one was ordered and delivered was a bright red Firebird, albeit with a V-6. Far more fun. I never did find out how fast it would go, as I wasn't going to get a speeding ticket in a company car.

The LTD got replaced with a Dodge Caravan. I guess they felt I needed to carry around a lot of tools and equipment for the job.

I didn't. :)

Pop

Nighteyez 01-23-2017 10:50 AM

I never got a ride to school because mom did not drive back then, and dad worked as a letter carrier for Whittier, so he was out the door on his way to work long before I got up to get ready for school. When I was old enough to drive, he bought me a 1963 Chevy II four door for $100 from someone on his route. Try and find a running 13 year old car today for $100. LOL I did not care what it looked like. To me, it was freedom. About 6 months later, I was stupid enough to sell it for $75. To this day I wish I had kept that car. It was originally a blue/blue car, but a previous owner had painted the outside urine yellow. I know this because when you opened the trunk, or hood, you could see the original light blue paint underneath. 194 six cylinder connected to a Powerglide transmission.

Jim

bpounds 01-23-2017 12:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yNibj8LW-Q

...except when it does.

turbohunter 01-23-2017 02:08 PM

Do you guys remember a movie from back in the late sixties (IIRC) that featured a house rolling down a hill at a party because of rain here in SoCal?

Nighteyez 01-23-2017 02:12 PM

No, doesn't sound familiar to me.

Jim