Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

fox3698 04-16-2011 03:24 PM

busy week at work(thank god) and on the truck.

after the second metering rod change she looks good , and i have bumped my mpg from 7 or 8 to about 13 -15.
i thought i had the brake line leak fixed.......nope still had a leak.
after changing the lines from the mc to the porportioning valve.
and cleaning the area up , i noticed that the brake warning switch was wet.
i tried to see if it was just loose, and it was broken. i wiggled on it and it fell apart. got the threaded end out and ended up puting in a brass plug.
it seem better not see any fluid loss in the mc.
i went to the junk yard to see if i could find a intact egr vacuum set-up.
no such luck...but i did get a assortment of delay and check valves.
i came up with a comination that doesnt come on till about 1500 rpm.
used the vacuum gauge and it has about 20hg max
i hooked it up through the timed port, and it drops emediatlywhen you hit the throttle.
the plugs look good and i may be able to go a little leaner.
i will drive her a while and see where its at.
i fueled up at the empty mark put 5 gallons and put the rest in the front tank. it put it at a hair above the 1/4 mark.
after 17 miles it hasnt moved but a hair ,still on the high side 1/4 mark.
i about gooed my shoe .. before it would have been hitting the empty mark . there is no surging bogs and even runs better .

WoodHeat 04-17-2011 12:59 AM

I put her up on 4 jack stands to prep her for fixing the dual tank selector valve/pump/electrical problem. Also going to look closely under there and find out what kind of tranny I have. :-X06

6fifty_f1fifty 04-17-2011 01:12 AM

Couldn't handle waiting for the spindle, so I found one on car-part.com, went and picked up a used one locally (if you can call a 2hr trip local...).

Got the driver side done, passenger side in the morning.

TheKirbyMan 04-17-2011 01:35 PM

Eatin lunch then I gotta pull apart my drum brakes....last night something back there decided it'd had enough and now it feels like I'm driving around with my foot on the brake...

okiepc1 04-17-2011 03:00 PM

I know one thing, ball joints that have been in place for over 25 years really don't like to press out easily. Glad that job is done, on to finishing painting, the old camper topper came out very well for its age, shines and everything, nice new blue paint.

okiepc1

dohc_chump 04-17-2011 08:11 PM

Replaced the u-joints in the front driveshaft and finally re-installed it on the '84.

TheKirbyMan 04-17-2011 09:38 PM

Ordered two new wheel cylinders today, gonna pick em up and put em in tomorrow. The current ones leak, and leak a bunch if I touch the rubber caps on each end. I guess 30 years was enough for 'em...

glovemeister 04-18-2011 12:06 AM

Last two days threw primer, and paint on my pickup. Doors and fenders are now going back on, as well as the hood (the hood will be on tomorrow. I will then final check the alignment of everything, wet sand it all real good and then paint it and put the windows and new weather strip back in, and interior in it and then my flatbed and be driving!

lamar804 04-18-2011 01:23 PM

Got tired of the way my truck was lookig with the peeling house paint and brush marks the PO did. So I sanded the sides & hood, and sprayed it! I used Black Rust-Oleum sandable primer, and IMO came out pretty good. (I need to do the jams!)
Now I'm about to work on the roof, the hopefully next weekend or sometime next week I can get the bed off and have the rust repaired, then sand & prime. I know it's not perfect, but it works with my budget. Here's some pics:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=67761
(the spots are from my camera)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=67760
(dusty!)

fiftyfordfloored 04-18-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by lamar804 (Post 10234565)
Got tired of the way my truck was lookig with the peeling house paint and brush marks the PO did. So I sanded the sides & hood, and sprayed it! I used Black Rust-Oleum sandable primer, and IMO came out pretty good. (I need to do the jams!)
Now I'm about to work on the roof, the hopefully next weekend or sometime next week I can get the bed off and have the rust repaired, then sand & prime. I know it's not perfect, but it works with my budget. Here's some pics:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=67761
(the spots are from my camera)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=67760
(dusty!)

Wow, nice dually. You going to redo it that same red and white tu-tone? That's gotta be my all time favorite color scheme on these trucks.

As far as what I did today on my truck (to not get get kicked off the thread :cool:)... I called up my machinist and he said the 429 has to go oversize to clean it up. Piston choices were really limited as the next size up is .030 over. So I ordered new pistons/rings for it and told him to go .030 on it. I guess it won't be a true 429 any more, but I can live with the extra cubes.

lamar804 04-18-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by fiftyfordfloored (Post 10234745)
Wow, nice dually. You going to redo it that same red and white tu-tone? That's gotta be my all time favorite color scheme on these trucks.

Thanks! A couple of months ago I bought 2 gallons of Satin Black Flat paint, but now I'm not sure if I want to use that or go back to the tu-tone red and white. After I get it all primed up, I'm gonna put the new pieces (mirrors, lights, grille, and bumper) on and see how it looks black.

Anafiel 04-18-2011 05:24 PM

I put new striker bushings on the tire carrier, tailgate, and both doors on my Bronco today. Trying to chase down all the rattles!

TheKirbyMan 04-18-2011 09:03 PM

I was chasing down squeaks today...lol

I got my brakes fixed finally. Turns out that not only were my wheel cylinders done for, but one of the return springs on the passenger side brake shoes had broken and was letting the rear shoe rest against the drum. Let's just say I coulda cooked an egg on that drum...after a short drive of not even half a mile!

So two new wheel cylinders, two new return springs and a bottle and a half worth of brake fluid later, I have proper braking abilities again. I'll need to put new shoes on it Friday since there's about a 2" block of braking material gone from the top of one shoe.

But then as I was finishing up the test drive, I went to turn my brights on and my dimmer switch quits on me!! As long as I get that fixed by Friday though, I'm not worried. (I have work at 4:30 that morning)

Whew!!

phurst 04-18-2011 09:31 PM

Finally got around to doing a compression test (still don't have all of the necessaries to do a leakdown yet) 150-155 across all 6 cylinders. That's surprisingly good news I guess, but I still have a random, intermittent misfire. Judging from the plugs, it looks like extra air is getting in somewhere. I'll start a separate thread at some point.

fox3698 04-19-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by phurst (Post 10236478)
Finally got around to doing a compression test (still don't have all of the necessaries to do a leakdown yet) 150-155 across all 6 cylinders. That's surprisingly good news I guess, but I still have a random, intermittent misfire. Judging from the plugs, it looks like extra air is getting in somewhere. I'll start a separate thread at some point.

inline six ....check carb to manifold gasket.
and check for cracks on the intake.
tough motor but weak intake manifolds.
if your motor still hahas the springs on the intake/exhaust bolts they could be weak and you get a seal leak on the intake