Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   SPX, Riffraff, Barder and others turbo wheel review thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1408051-spx-riffraff-barder-and-others-turbo-wheel-review-thread.html)

white Buffalo 02-14-2016 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Kay (Post 16044551)
.................I have now had the WW1, WW2, SD and now the SPX. The two billet wheels are very similar in performance.

Exactly what I was looking for........the opinion from someone who has ran multiple wheels on the same setup.

Thanks and reps to you!:-jammin:-drink

z31freakify 03-16-2016 09:21 PM

Anybody else with opinions on any other wheels.
This has the potential of being a sticky ;-)

sledhead999 03-16-2016 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by CarterKraft (Post 15824248)
Does anyone know the real scoop on these billet wheels? I am having a hard time believing that riffraff, sp, bd, dieselsite, etc. Are investing the money in 5 axis machining centers indivually then the r&d costs associated with 4/4, 5/5, 7/7 etc.

It seems allot more likely to me there is one manufacturer making these, with different options.

I guess my question will be who all will spring for the wheel from the lowest priced vendor or the newest on the block.

I highly doubt most of these places are investing in $500,000+ machines to make these $200 billet wheels. RR might be the exception to that, since they invested in a machine shop. Otherwise, I'll bet most others are outsourcing the machining side to a job shop. Nothing wrong with that either.

I'm sure these guys could CAD up their own solid models to fit what they consider the best profiles (goals). It's very possible these billet wheels act very different from each other based on their fin profiles and # of fins.

I myself bought the RR billet wheel for my 38R turbo. It was in hopes of reducing some of the whine with the open element filter. I also bought a S&B intake, and that seem to cure the problem, so I haven't made time to install the wheel yet. I'm planning on doing the Dorman Up Pipes sitting ready to go, at the same time.

CarterKraft 06-29-2016 08:57 AM

SPX wheel rebuild kit ordered.

The last camping trip I noticed a squeal at higher boost levels I figured I'd pull it down and have a look.

lpzd 10-04-2016 04:02 PM

this is the second truck I've run with the spx wheel, first stock one though. i like it . still running the stock air filter and no chip , it pulls 21 psi on my drive up to work.
with thin air up here I don't think i could ask much more of a simple upgrade.

z31freakify 08-23-2018 12:50 PM

Update time.
1. 00 f350 truck with 100k on the rebuild with zero play, 5x5 SPX wheel stock turbo.

2. 02 f350 truck with 70k on rebuild with zero play. Cast 5x5 wheel stock turbo.

3. 00 f250 truck with 50k on rebuild with zero play. Cast 5x5 wheel stock turbo.

4. 01 f250 truck with 35k on rebiild with zero play. Cast 5x5 wheel stock turbo

5. 95 f350 truck (sig truck) 120k on rebuild before replacing with a rebuild gtp38 turbo with zero play and heavy footed animal behind the wheel running on hot tunes and with a bad motor at the time lol..... Stock TP38 turbo

6. 95 f350 66mm billet SPX wheel ported housing and1.0 housing, didnt get to test this turbo much, i was towing a big 5'er at the time and with out proper tuning it ran hot on EGT' s 1k miles on this turbo. And replaced it with a spare GTP38 I had.

7. 95 f350 truck 5k rebuild GTP38 SPX billet wheel (new 5x5 billet wheel design) all mods on minus the 66mm turbo.

8. 05 f350 stock truck the last of the 6.doh in the fleet 80k on rebuild zero play SPX billet wheel (fast spooler by the way) and unison ring from SPT. Thank god this trucks is leaving the fleet 350k on it many, many, many problems in those miles, specially the dam injector top orings, those things blew out constantly even with new oil rail nipples and oil rail torqued to spec...

And a couple other trucks that left the fleet to a buyer in Mexico that took all the 6.0 of our hands and a couple of worn down 7.3 some with SPT rebuilds.

Jo7.3 08-24-2018 08:27 PM

So for a guy like me who's never touched the turbo other than spinning the wheel and checking for shaft play when I did glow plugs, would an "upgraded" wheel be a good investment? My bone stock 203k mile turbo has no issues whatsoever. However, if there's a fairly cheap and easy upgrade that will increase the efficiency and power of my truck, then I'm all for it. Now after reading through a good bit of this thread, I'm leaning towards either the SPX 5+5 or 7+7. To the people who have used these wheels vs. others, is there anything that really sets the SPX wheel ahead of others? Or should I save my money since my stock turbo has performed flawlessly in the 45k miles I've put on my truck. Thanks guys :-drink

Pitcrw6 08-24-2018 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jo7.3 (Post 18158144)
So for a guy like me who's never touched the turbo other than spinning the wheel and checking for shaft play when I did glow plugs, would an "upgraded" wheel be a good investment? My bone stock 203k mile turbo has no issues whatsoever. However, if there's a fairly cheap and easy upgrade that will increase the efficiency and power of my truck, then I'm all for it. Now after reading through a good bit of this thread, I'm leaning towards either the SPX 5+5 or 7+7. To the people who have used these wheels vs. others, is there anything that really sets the SPX wheel ahead of others? Or should I save my money since my stock turbo has performed flawlessly in the 45k miles I've put on my truck. Thanks guys :-drink

Unless you plan on adding more goodies to the truck, like exhaust, intake and tuner, I wouldn't bother.

Jo7.3 08-25-2018 10:09 AM

I have all of those mods which is why I'm considering an upgraded wheel.

z31freakify 08-25-2018 10:16 AM

They are all about the same IMO, its just a matter of which one you like best.
The more blades the quieter, the less blades the louder the whistle is going to be. As long as they are billet you will notice an improvement in spool up.

ExPACamper 08-25-2018 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by z31freakify (Post 18155771)
Update time.
1. 00 f350 truck with 100k on the rebuild with zero play, 5x5 SPX wheel stock turbo.

2. 02 f350 truck with 70k on rebuild with zero play. Cast 5x5 wheel stock turbo.

3. 00 f250 truck with 50k on rebuild with zero play. Cast 5x5 wheel stock turbo.

4. 01 f250 truck with 35k on rebiild with zero play. Cast 5x5 wheel stock turbo

5. 95 f350 truck (sig truck) 120k on rebuild before replacing with a rebuild gtp38 turbo with zero play and heavy footed animal behind the wheel running on hot tunes and with a bad motor at the time lol..... Stock TP38 turbo

6. 95 f350 66mm billet SPX wheel ported housing and1.0 housing, didnt get to test this turbo much, i was towing a big 5'er at the time and with out proper tuning it ran hot on EGT' s 1k miles on this turbo. And replaced it with a spare GTP38 I had.

7. 95 f350 truck 5k rebuild GTP38 SPX billet wheel (new 5x5 billet wheel design) all mods on minus the 66mm turbo.

8. 05 f350 stock truck the last of the 6.doh in the fleet 80k on rebuild zero play SPX billet wheel (fast spooler by the way) and unison ring from SPT. Thank god this trucks is leaving the fleet 350k on it many, many, many problems in those miles, specially the dam injector top orings, those things blew out constantly even with new oil rail nipples and oil rail torqued to spec...

And a couple other trucks that left the fleet to a buyer in Mexico that took all the 6.0 of our hands and a couple of worn down 7.3 some with SPT rebuilds.

Did I miss the update part for results? Or just that you've put them on and nothing significant to report? ;)