Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   2012 Great Smokey Mtn F100 Run - Pigeon Forge, TN (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1129455-2012-great-smokey-mtn-f100-run-pigeon-forge-tn.html)

EffieFord 06-21-2012 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 11980111)
The Tally ho is at least 15 or 20 miles away.

Its a long way to Townsend from Pigeon Forge... I wouldn't do it back and forth every day. That's a helluva ride through Wears Valley with the hills and curves...especially in an old truck.

That is really, really jacked up about the rooms. Wow.

Be interesting to see who's responsible.

carnut122 06-21-2012 09:49 PM

Wow, that's just messed up.

Lance Hogan 06-21-2012 10:03 PM

I gave Homade (Gary) a call earlier this afternoon to check on everyone at the show. He seemed to be in good spirits about the move to Townsend. I also spoke to Brian (9teen56) via Homade's phone and he alluded that the former manager of the Smokey Shadows Hotel was to blame for this debacle. Regardless, it is a shame that good people have taken a week off of work to enjoy friends, trucks, and Pigeon Forge and are now stuck in Townsend, Tn.

EffieFord 06-21-2012 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lance Hogan (Post 11980397)
Regardless, it is a shame that good people have taken a week off of work to enjoy friends, trucks, and Pigeon Forge and are now stuck in Townsend, Tn.

Yeah, no kidding... I'd be mad as an ol wet hen. I texted a friend of mine and he said he knew and was already at the Tally Ho. He said he heard that Stanley didn't get the permit needed...but that Stanley is at the Tally Ho. Friend said he had heard a lot of people went home mad.

I don't think the hotel would be the responsible party for getting a permit...especially with all the shows and other events hotels "sponsor."

My friend replied and was like, we miss you, wish you were here. Man, I'm glad I didn't go now... I'm unemployed and waiting on disability, I couldn't really afford to go, but if I had begged and pleaded for my mom to let me go.. then something like this happened and I was stuck with a hotel room away from the show?

I wonder what impact this will have for the show next year?

Since the True Blue Trucks magazine does their show in September at the same place?

harleymsn 06-22-2012 12:20 PM

I talked to Homade this morning. There are about 40 trucks at the Tally Ho and they are expecting more. He said they had 22 rooms available at the Tally Ho, so a lot of folks won't have a choice but to drive back and forth. He said that the hotel in PF refunded him on the other nights after he paid for the first night.

In my opinion, this show is in trouble and may not return next year. On the otherhand, I think the Tally ho in Townsend is a much better place for the show.

Truxx1956 06-22-2012 12:26 PM

I sure hate it for the show, cause it seemed like a bummer year was already in the making from some of us not making the trip anyway. I was hating not being able to make the show this year and after this mix up I'd have been really upset if I'd have made the trip with limited funds. Like many of you guys we use this show for our family vacation and this kind of stuff makes for unhappy campers. It might be a better scenario to move the show out to Talley Ho and keep it out there since they dont want us in PF? Maybe we could combine the True Blue show and the Smokey MTN show? It's always so HOT in June. Just a thought??

Doraville 06-22-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Truxx1956 (Post 11982371)
... Maybe we could combine the True Blue show and the Smokey MTN show? It's always so HOT in June. Just a thought??

I think that everyone who has been following this must be thinking the same thing. Personally, I would rather go to a show in September than in June, and personally, I would rather be in Townsend than Pigeon Forge.

-DV

harleymsn 06-22-2012 03:14 PM

When I found out the show was moving after the 2010 show I contacted Stanley and he had no place to go. I suggested he consider the Tally Ho, but he said no, everybody wants to go to PF. Wonder if he's rethinking that now?

raerjim 06-22-2012 05:48 PM

This is the type of SNAFU which kills events like this... especially when word spreads.

Nighthawk756 06-22-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by EffieFord (Post 11941645)
You ever been to the first Friday cruise-in in Gadsden or the swap meet in Lineville? I'm about 20 miles from the state line over here in Georgia off I-20.

Gadsden? Sure have....love that one. Haven't been this year yet.

Haven't been to the Lineville swap meet, although I've heard good things. Is it as good as people say?

Schuyles 06-23-2012 05:10 PM

I swung by the show. I have never been before, and there were some nice trucks...but looks like there was room for a few more...

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/08b7326b.jpg

A hot but NICE day today!

Lance Hogan 06-23-2012 06:46 PM

How many trucks?

Schuyles 06-23-2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lance Hogan (Post 11986497)
How many trucks?

I didn't count, but I'd say 50 or less...and one c10!

harleymsn 06-23-2012 07:12 PM

From that picture, I see about 35-40. Wonder why they went all the way to that end of the field. When we have the TBT show we always start lining up behind the restaurant.

Schuyles 06-23-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by harleymsn (Post 11986552)
From that picture, I see about 35-40. Wonder why they went all the way to that end of the field. When we have the TBT show we always start lining up behind the restaurant.

I am looking from the far end to the end nearest the hotel/road. There were good vibes there, just not too many people.