Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Ford vs chebby discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1086307-ford-vs-chebby-discussion.html)

Jaime74656 08-06-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by billg302 (Post 10664916)
My company has a fleet of Dodge trucks, some with Hemi's and a few with the Cummins. The Hemi's are overrated...we drive in the Colorado mountains regularly, the Hemi has to stay with the pedal to the floor (@ 5000+ rpm) to climb most passes. The Cummins can do 90 mph up the Eisenhower Tunnel (8% grade). The diesel Dodges have few problems but the Hemi's at 90k start to fall apart. I had an '06 F150 rental (while my Dodge was being repaired again) and the 5.4 sure feels like it has more seat of the pants power (same axle ratios). I could never get the Hemi to break it's rear tires loose, the 5.4 would do it all day long. We also had an '08 Chevy 1500 rental (again Dodge in the shop) and it was a gutless wonder. It struggled to tow a small diesel portable compressor (about 4500 lbs). My opinion the ultimate truck is a Ford F series with a Cummins motor. My latest company truck is an '07 Ram 3500 Cummins. Good truck, but my '96 F350 rides a lot smoother, even with a lift under it.

gee I know what you mean, maybe you should use your truck as a company truck LOL let it out shine the newer dodges and junk ;)

lew52 08-06-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 6CylBill (Post 10662858)
Well Wes, I reckon FTE just likes you more ;)

...But Bill your much more popular , with 7,678 profile visitors compared to 1,730.....Lew

Jigger2020 08-06-2011 05:17 PM

Congrats on 3000 posts Wesley.......keep up the good comments......Gig

Jaime74656 08-06-2011 05:21 PM

anyone want a used cubby lol i dont care for them (to get topic back on topic)

Bankrupter 08-06-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 (Post 10666482)
anyone want a used cubby lol i dont care for them (to get topic back on topic)

Ill take it ... Need a tow rig for my ford }>

SideWinder4.9l 08-07-2011 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by lew52 (Post 10666194)
...But Bill your much more popular , with 7,678 profile visitors compared to 1,730.....Lew

well GEE WIZ there Lew....Not everyone has a sexy-as-hell, black flairside....JEEZ.....:p

Alec94F150XL 08-07-2011 03:37 AM

I got a 2001 Dodge Cummins 3500, it's the Dually. I absolutey love that truck, but wayyyyy more soo the engine. When the body starts to fall apart on the Dodge, I wanna throw the Cummins in my truck! Ha.

Oh and absolutely on what billg302 said, the absolute workhouse truck, would be a Ford F series with a Cummins.

Slwwhttrk_96 08-29-2011 10:50 PM

i think all trucks prior to 200 were great!
they were all simple, real work trucks, and they looked the best IMO, not all fat and wide.
all the engines were simple, and you could swap parts with any other engine from their familes.
i personally like ford better, since ive been raised in them. but all trucks were beautiful then, id love to have one of each, but im fine with my 96 supercab.
the engines werent all that powerful but they get the job done. 4doors werent over rated back then.
i wish they still made trucks that way...

Jaime74656 08-30-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bankrupter (Post 10666565)
Ill take it ... Need a tow rig for my ford }>

LOL I think it would be more for your Ford to tow ;) its got no engine!!

PEIslandson 08-30-2011 10:54 AM

I've owned 89 Chev, Dodge and Ford 1/2 tons and the best IMO was the Chev, nothing wrong with the Ford but the 318 2wd Dodge was good for nothing. The Chev is still on the road today(on its last leg though)and neither the Ford or Dodge are. All 3 were work trucks.

'89F2urd 08-30-2011 11:19 AM

the 350 chevy is what it is. . .cheap and reliable. the SBF's are what they are. more expensive and reliable. the SBF's design is better than the chevys in more ways than one, especially if you wanna make a big cube high hp small block motor. but, your pockets are gonna have to be deeper. the new LS family chevy motors are phenomenal, in design, longevity, power production (and ease of), simplicity, and reliability. they get good mileage (for gassers) and make a great truck for someone who wants to be more modern, and wants a problem-free truck. they arent nearly as robust as the OBS fords in the drivetrain department, but most people who buy them dont have any intention of testing their lil 1500's drivetrain limits. im no fan of modulars (SBF>MODULAR), but theyre generally pretty reliable also for their owners. just costly to repair and maintain, and have a few "common problems" that the LS family or the SBF just doesnt have. in fact, the LS family has no such thing (i.e. manifold cracks, spark plugs shooting out).

the OBS fords are some of the best trucks ever made, arguably the best if you take all things into account - initial cost, maintenance cost, repair cost, simplicity, toughness, and reliability. i think thats evident in sooooo many ways (just look at how many are still on the road. . .i go to the store and am shocked sometimes at how cheap replacement parts are!). underpowered, definately (in stock trim). underbuilt, definately not (besides rubber frame, that RARELY is an issue). ford critics (and those not in a position to appreciate it) bash the TTB, but its actually an awesome piece of equipment.

at any rate, there really are good things about all of them. and different ones suit different needs better than the other. but, i dont care which one it is, im just glad its not some guy with a dam titan thinkin its the best thing ever built. or the tundra guy who watches one of those commercials and runs out to get one thinkin he bought "the truckers truck". . .i know, i know, our trucks arent even made in the u.s. anymore, but i'd rather give my money to corporate america vs corporate japan, as bad as that even is. im gonna end that rant sooner than later. . . .

Bankrupter 08-30-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 (Post 10755313)
LOL I think it would be more for your Ford to tow ;) its got no engine!!

That just makes it lighter to push around the yard ... lol