Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   Welcome To The January 2017 BS Thread! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1468926-welcome-to-the-january-2017-bs-thread.html)

bpounds 01-19-2017 09:19 AM

The Angels are NOT Los Angeles!

Not sure how old that graphic is, but only recently has LA claimed the Angels, or the Angels dumped Orange County, depending on your perspective.

If we're going to extend geographic boundaries, by calling Anaheim close enough to Los Angeles, then in theory the Chargers could still be the San Diego Chargers, who happen to play in Los Angeles. I mean, hell, why not!

wpnaes 01-19-2017 12:30 PM

Might as well continue the controversy....

Why do the Rams get a transformer brick/plug?

Nighteyez 01-19-2017 03:01 PM

Maybe that is it.

Jim

Yama4fitty 01-19-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 16881699)

Exactly! They're NOT LA or even IN LA!

CharlyG 01-19-2017 03:40 PM

B-b-b-but they're the Angels, and this is the City of Angels...

wpnaes 01-19-2017 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SpringerPop (Post 16872779)
So, Sean...... Is that a recommendation to go see La La Land?

Pop

13 Los Angeles Locations Every 'La La Land' Fan Should Visit | Travel + Leisure

...and a few more sites to visit on the idea hopper thread. I'd love to think our very own Marc had a hand in this movie...

Nighteyez 01-19-2017 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 16881699)

Not sure how old that graphic is, but only recently has LA claimed the Angels, or the Angels dumped Orange County, depending on your perspective.

If we're going to extend geographic boundaries, by calling Anaheim close enough to Los Angeles, then in theory the Chargers could still be the San Diego Chargers, who happen to play in Los Angeles. I mean, hell, why not!

Don't forget the NY Giants don't play in New York either. They play in New Jersey. The owners of the Angels want them called the LA Angels, I don't care one way or the other honestly. But it is interesting that the graphic shows all pro teams except USC, and not the Angels. If they were going to add USC, why not UCLA?

Jim

turbohunter 01-20-2017 05:36 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Hi guys and gals.
I apologize for my absence.
I'm here, just have had my brain in my cars mostly.
Had a very nice trip out to Death Valley again a few weeks back. Went to the south end of the valley and took a right turn up into the mountains to Mengle Pass. Really some great things to see back in there. There's an old camp that I believe IIRC is called warm springs. It's an old talc mine. Mengle pass has some nice boulder climbing to get to the top. I'll include some pix and vids. On the way down out the other side of the mountains is the south end of the Panamint valley, very close to Barker ranch where a few infamous characters hung out for a bit. The canyon on the way down is beautiful and deep.
This video is not mine but it shows the area well.

https://youtu.be/yyi_PYg8tpI

bpounds 01-20-2017 05:47 PM

Good to see you Marc. It has been too long. Looks like some good exploring going on there.

SpringerPop 01-20-2017 05:51 PM

Welcome back, Marc, to those of us among the living!

Looks like your '74 in that last photo.

Very-nice pics, BTW!

Pop
(stayin' dry)

turbohunter 01-20-2017 05:52 PM

Thanks Bill and Pop. To long indeed.
My fault for having a narrowly focused brain.
Yes that is the mighty F100

turbohunter 01-20-2017 05:58 PM

Here's a short vid of the mighty F100 heading up Mengle.
You can hear in the vid the reason I'm about to change to a serpentine style belt system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-v1WmxyiQ

NumberDummy 01-20-2017 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by CharlyG (Post 16882584)
B-b-b-but they're the Angels, and this is the City of Angels...

Triple A Pacific Coast League Los Angeles Angels played at Wrigley Field (on Avalon Blvd. & [I think] 38th Street). It was known as a 'band box.'

1961 AL Los Angeles Angels played there too (an all time AL stadium home run record was set that season), then moved to Dodger Stadium (Angels called it Chavez Ravine).

Pal and I attended an Angel/Yankee game at Wrigley, going into the bottom of the 9th, Yankees 6, Angels 4. Decided to leave early to beat the traffic.

No sooner did we get outside, we heard a tremendous roar. Angels had loaded the bases, then "Daddy Wags" (Leon Wagner) came up and hit a grand slam home run.

This was the first and last baseball game that I left early.

CharlyG 01-20-2017 09:12 PM

Great Story, and Chuck Connors played for em..

SpringerPop 01-20-2017 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 16885614)
This was the first and last baseball game that I left early.

"It ain't over 'till it's over......"
Yogi Berra - 1973

I watched a-many Los Angeles Angeles and Hollywood Stars games in my youth (if I recall correctly) on KTLA.

Pop