Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Truckstock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1180091-truckstock.html)

Doc 08-19-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mechmagcn (Post 12181405)
Hmmm..... not sure about that, date has yet to be set, but we have an idea of where and when the honeymoon will happen ;)

Congratulations. Heck man, just bring her and we'll find an old country preacher here to perform the ceremony.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XXE9CYNU65...-handlers.jpeg

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

mechmagcn 08-19-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 12182262)
Congratulations. Heck man, just bring her and we'll find an old country preacher here to perform the ceremony.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XXE9CYNU65...-handlers.jpeg

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

Shane, I'm afraid if I tried to bring her into that kind of ceremony I probably would never see her again :( Not the spiders and snakes kind of girl :-roll

DR Smith 08-19-2012 11:17 AM

play the lottery

Trip of a lifetime and a new love! Play the lottery all thingsrun in threes.

jmadsen 08-20-2012 09:43 AM

Only 4 plus days left to RSVP! Hey Doc, I'm just curious how many rsvp's have you got total so far?

I still gotta hand it to all of you guys driving hundreds of miles or in some of you guys cases thousands of miles in your old trucks to be there :-jammin

I cringe just thinking about a possibility of driving 1800 miles one way in a modern vehicle with cruise, power steering, AC, adjustable seats, lumbar supports etc etc, You guys are awesome!!!
:-drink

Josh

bobj49f2 08-20-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jmadsen (Post 12185467)
Only 4 plus days left to RSVP! Hey Doc, I'm just curious how many rsvp's have you got total so far?

I still gotta hand it to all of you guys driving hundreds of miles or in some of you guys cases thousands of miles in your old trucks to be there :-jammin

I cringe just thinking about a possibility of driving 1800 miles one way in a modern vehicle with cruise, power steering, AC, adjustable seats, lumbar supports etc etc, You guys are awesome!!!
:-drink

Josh

Josh, I've driven my daily drivers long distances many times, yeah, you get worn out doing with AC, cruise and cushy suspension but what an adventure to do it in an old truck the way it was done way back. I remember my mom telling me about a family vacation her family did out west in the '50s using a late '40s Chevy sedan delivery. It was a truck like a panel truck but on a car chassis and smaller. My grandpa made a shelf with a piece of plywood. My grandparents slept on top, my mom, sister and brother slept underneath. My mom said there was barely enough room to turn over. They did this for at least a week if not more. My wife's relatives also told us about trips they made in the '40s and '50s in their then relatively new vehicles. Back then traveling had to be more challenging because you not only didn't you have cell phones and GPS but you also didn't have a convenience store every 10 miles and towns were a lot smaller with less to offer if you broke down.

I look at this way. I could trailer my truck down but what kind of adventure would that be.

Doc 08-20-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by jmadsen (Post 12185467)

Josh

Right now, it's hovering right around 20 members. In the last 72 hours alone, I've had 3 cancellations. We've been focusing on running the local lurkers out of the weeds and getting them to come. We'll see. There's a handful of "maybes" in addition to that, but I'm not counting on them showing. Some of you guys from the Western U.S. ought to consider it.

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 12185606)

I look at this way. I could trailer my truck down but what kind of adventure would that be.

Here's the way I look at that--Other than the shear inconvenience of having to sit and wait on the side of the road, that's why they make tow trucks and cellphones nowadays. I agree with you, Bob. I'd go for the adventure. My dad used to own a 50 Custom Ford as a teenager (like the one he owns now). It was a rough car even back then. He routinely drove it to Indiana at least once a month. That's a 5 hour trip now. Was probably an 8 or 9 hour trip then. The only thing I ever heard him say was that he broke a hard brake line one time.

raytasch 08-20-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 12185687)
Some of you guys from the Western U.S. ought to consider it.

Is it time we mention the Long Distance Award for: "Period Correct Ford Powered" Vehicles again?:-X21

Doc 08-20-2012 11:56 AM

It wouldn't hurt. Have you found any more quiet lurkers down there in East Tennessee?

Harrier 08-20-2012 04:32 PM

That reminds me. My dad enlisted to avoid getting drafted and in 1961 they got married and drove their Ford Falcon Station Wagon from Central Missouri up the Alcan to the base in Anchorage. Mom said they would stay in a hotel every 3rd day to shower. I have no idea how long it took them to get there. I don't think my wife would survive a trip like that.
They stayed through '64 earthquake and came back to Missouri after dad was discharged. My brother and sister were born up there. I came along a few years later.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'm envious, you guys are going to have a great time.

52 Ford F1 08-20-2012 05:52 PM

I for one am excited for the event. Did you send out an email with images of the shirt already? I am RSVP'd for Saturday, but I do not know if I will be staying the night yet.

Doc 08-20-2012 09:50 PM

Email sent on the T-shirt.

I'm getting excited too. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear this is probably the best chance we're all going to have to get together and talk and enjoy our hobby and common interests. This is truly a great forum and a great group of people. So if you can attend, please let me know.

ALBUQ F-1 08-20-2012 10:52 PM

Why aren't we seeing more participation from the East Coast?! Can't be that far from the Carolinas, VA, NY, MD, etc. Hell, Baltimore is only 500 miles, that only gets me to the the feedlots in Dodge City, Kansas.

jmadsen 08-20-2012 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 12188211)
Why aren't we seeing more participation from the East Coast?! Can't be that far from the Carolinas, VA, NY, MD, etc. Hell, Baltimore is only 500 miles, that only gets me to the the feedlots in Dodge City, Kansas.

because your an animal Ross! :) lol how many miles is it for you? im guessing your at least 1900 miles one way. hell you might decide to stay there permanently once your there....

ALBUQ F-1 08-20-2012 11:46 PM

It's 1500 each way, more or less. It's not clear whether I'll be driving the '52, because I need to go to Chicago either before or after Doc's. I'd like to take it, but the total trip will be around 4,000 miles.

South of BC 08-21-2012 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 12185687)
Some of you guys from the Western U.S. ought to consider it.

I'd love to attend. Wayne (52 Merc) and I had our own little "Truckstock" a couple of weeks ago as I was in his hometown and we met up for dinner and I got a tour of his toy box. Unfortunately that is the best I can do. Even if I could make your event, I'm afraid I would have to head south to California to do whatever I could do to help Paul (I'm So Quazy) get his truck roadworthy, as well, let's face it, you can have your event again next year. Paul, he might not be able to enjoy his truck next year.

So maybe next year. Or maybe I can host a West Coast version. (Can you hear the dueling banjos?) You guys have a great time and let the rest of us know what we missed.