Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   5.4 randomly misfiring (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1104362-5-4-randomly-misfiring.html)

jwiegele 11-03-2017 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by F150Torqued (Post 17563927)
Glad to know I'm not _alone_ in the 'ole fart' corner, and there is someone still alive out there who can relate to toggling hex data into a 24k byte computer with toggle switches on a front panel. ugh. Yes, we've come a long way.

With those MFF_RPM numbers of yours, you sure we got the "/10" at the end of that formula? That would make things look better - 624.9.
Remember, all those items on the bottom two rows (except your new gauges) are 'Freeze Frame' numbers (supposedly grabbed at the time of the last misfire). I 'DO' see that MF_Tot incremented by one on screenshoot 2 with a misfire on #8 - but all other MFF freeze frame items seem to remain the SAME. With an additional misfire, I can't explain no apparent update of freeze frame data. ??? And the "FUNKY" mode 06 misfire count for Cyl No 5 makes NO SENSE. That one _blows me away_.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW 'TORQUE' DID THAT. Cannot be communications - that's 'serial'. The formula G*256+H does not even permit treating EITHER G or H as a "signed" byte!!!!!! All the ECU can do is send the contents of those two bytes serially to Torque. Torque programming grabs byte "G" (the seventh) byte in the Data String, multiplies it (as an unsigned byte) by 256 and adds that to the value of "H" (the eighth byte in the data string). Then displays that in a digital gauge per decimals specified for in the setup for that gauge. ///How can that be minus? Is there a 'minus sign' in the Min/Max fields?/// I don't even see that can be related to my prior observation about memory cells.

But All is not bad. There is more than just a little bit of "+" information in those screens. You have clocked four (4) drive cycles with ZERO post 1000 revolution misfires (MFF_0_Cnt). They have ALL occurred within 1000 revs of startup. In fact, within 15 sec of startup (MFF_RNTM), 20% engine load (MFF_LOAD), NOT in drive (MFF_PNP). To top that off, it had been shut off hot and sat for only 38 minutes (MFF_SOAK) and started up with the intake air plenum air at 120º (MFF_IAT). That's not perfect running conditions when fuel and air flow and rpms and everything is settling down. We used to call that "rode hard, and left out to dry".

Those (pre-1000 rev) misfires are treated very differently (less significant) by the ECU. They are not even accumulated toward a DTC limit.

An interesting related matter on My truck. I have noticed (through THIS Misfire Monitor Screen) that I can 'create' a misfire by turning the ignition on, but not crank for 20-30 seconds, then fire it up. ALMOST every time, I will have 2-3 misfires on Cyl 4, and frequently 1 on Cyl 5. I believe pressurizing the fuel rail - static, I must have an injector on those two cylinders that weeps or makes the mixture overly rich on the delayed startup.

I also notice you have an OBDII "Trip Count" of 1. That means ALL 'seven' of the OBDII Monitor routines have successfully completed once (MFMLRN, MISSTAT, FUELSTAT, EVAPSTAT, CMMSTAT,CATSTAT, and I/M_READY).

THAT actually says 'LOTS OF STUFF' is working right. The first four are self explanatory - the last three, Comprehensive Components Test, Catalyst Tests, and Inferred Mass Air Flow (Cams are accomplishing proper EGR mixed with intake air mass) are even more significant.
I've been working on a Torque Monitor screen to follow / track all those OBDII monitors (especially EVAP) through their progress and soon as I get a few formulas polished up and working right, I plan to post it for everybody.

So, set your CPAP on HIGH, and sleep better. It's better for our grey matter. :)

Great info! Thanks for the well researched response. You're right, somehow, even after checking it multiple times, I missed the "/10" at the end of the formula! Kicking myself on that one... geez!

Onward and upward I guess! The more info, the more knowledge... but it can also bring in new issues to think about - issues that may not be meaningful overall. Reminds me of another quote often used "ignorance is bliss".

Thanks again!
joe :oval

jwiegele 11-03-2017 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by pdqford (Post 17565424)
I started out in '64 on a word machine - Autocoder and eventually Cobol.
Just trying to follow along here and learn something from you young'ns.
I'm coming up on the big EIGHT OH!

Maybe I can help. Freeze Frame is snaped when the FIRST DTC is set. Not when the last DTC is set.

Returning to CPAP mode.:-drink

You're doing better than all of us! I'm impressed!

Regarding FF data - since I'm not getting a CEL - no fault codes - would I even have accurate FF data reporting using Torque?

pdqford 11-03-2017 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jwiegele (Post 17566924)
Regarding FF data - since I'm not getting a CEL - no fault codes - would I even have accurate FF data reporting using Torque?

If there are no stored fault (DTC) codes there will be no FF data stored.

I was just explaining why @150Torgued didn’t see a change in FF data after the misfire on #8. The FF data only gets stored on the first DTC stored. A second DTC doesn’t update FF data. Often subsequent DTCs are a ripple effect from the original DTC, so the original FF data is more critical.

F150Torqued 11-04-2017 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by pdqford (Post 17567325)
If there are no stored fault (DTC) codes there will be no FF data stored.

Thanks @pdqford. According to my understanding, that is a true FACT. (Probably - even with a grey code before it becomes a Demand code --- ??? :-huh) I have no idea if there a 'time window' involved where another / different code would 'refresh' FF data, but I would actually presume so. Which means I used the term "Freeze Frame" a little TOO casually/loosely.

I would give anything if we could have the source code or programmer's comments. It's a B*@#t*H trying to figure out what the programmer was thinking just by exercising a (complicated) piece of software. It is even double dog difficult with two involved - The ECU + TORQUE.

But there is an exception. I know that many misfires (both pre-1000 rev AND post-1000 rev) do not set a DTC, even grey code. But they are accounted for in an "Exponentially Weighted Moving Average". (EWMA) ->toward an appropriate DTC. I have witnessed through my testing of the Misfire Monitor screen, and reliable documentation, that a number of parameters (like RPM, IAT, VS, etc) are stored at the instant of a misfire. Even a misfire occurring during the 1st 1000 engine revolutions, which are treated very differently (less significant) by the ECU. What I don't know, but suspect, is there any 'time window' involved BETWEEN MISFIRES when those would be 'refreshed', OR are these the same memory locations copied to FF data when a DTC is triggered. So it is improper to refer to these fields as freeze frame data. They are just what their documentation designates them as: "at the time of the last misfire".

Further bringing into focus the stark difference between what I know vs what I don't (Thimble vs Battleship).

jwiegele 11-06-2017 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by F150Torqued (Post 17568621)
Thanks @pdqford. According to my understanding, that is a true FACT. (Probably - even with a grey code before it becomes a Demand code --- ??? :-huh) I have no idea if there a 'time window' involved where another / different code would 'refresh' FF data, but I would actually presume so. Which means I used the term "Freeze Frame" a little TOO casually/loosely.

I would give anything if we could have the source code or programmer's comments. It's a B*@#t*H trying to figure out what the programmer was thinking just by exercising a (complicated) piece of software. It is even double dog difficult with two involved - The ECU + TORQUE.

But there is an exception. I know that many misfires (both pre-1000 rev AND post-1000 rev) do not set a DTC, even grey code. But they are accounted for in an "Exponentially Weighted Moving Average". (EWMA) ->toward an appropriate DTC. I have witnessed through my testing of the Misfire Monitor screen, and reliable documentation, that a number of parameters (like RPM, IAT, VS, etc) are stored at the instant of a misfire. Even a misfire occurring during the 1st 1000 engine revolutions, which are treated very differently (less significant) by the ECU. What I don't know, but suspect, is there any 'time window' involved BETWEEN MISFIRES when those would be 'refreshed', OR are these the same memory locations copied to FF data when a DTC is triggered. So it is improper to refer to these fields as freeze frame data. They are just what their documentation designates them as: "at the time of the last misfire".

Further bringing into focus the stark difference between what I know vs what I don't (Thimble vs Battleship).

:-X22 good stuff!

Harleyguy72 12-17-2017 09:19 AM

I have an 06 fx4 supercrew. Multiple misfire readings at idle but idle is smooth. No misfire readings after 2000rpms. Runs good from start but bogs when it up shifts. And shutters. Runs great at higher rpms. I've installed new motorcraft plugs and cops. New vcts. New cats and o2 sensors cleaned throttle body new mass air flow sensor and fuel filter

F150Torqued 12-17-2017 09:38 AM

A couple more details will improve the quality of the responses.
Engine?
Miles?
Any (other) phaser issues or noises?
scanner / reader capability you have - (how did you get multiple misfire readings)?
Codes?
Mode 06 data available?
Freeze Frame data available?

Harleyguy72 12-17-2017 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by F150Torqued (Post 17662696)
A couple more details will improve the quality of the responses.
Engine?
Miles?
Any (other) phaser issues or noises?
scanner / reader capability you have - (how did you get multiple misfire readings)?
Codes?
Mode 06 data available?
Freeze Frame data available?

5.4. With 167k. It does have a slight tick in the phases when I changed the vcts all screens were in tact. I had a friend way his garage hook it up to his his shop diagnostic machine. No codes. It hasn't thrown a code since the this issue has began. I got individual cylinder specifics misfire codes in the past. But this time I got nothing. I was told that the dealer could " flash" or reset the system. But it's the weekend and the service dept isn't open.

F150Torqued 12-18-2017 07:48 AM

Generally speaking (though not always), light or random misfires can be cured by doing a thorough, meticulous, clean plug job with new boots/springs. These engines demand everything in the ignition system to be near perfect to reliably fire every time. They even use very high voltage and 'multi-strike' ignition coil operation below around 2000 rpm. THUS boots must not be brittle or cracked and 'impedance' of the coils is a VERY BIG factor so the coil can 'recharge' three times in about 1500 micro-seconds. (.001500 sec's, that's not very long). This is the most likely reason the engines are picky about using OEM coils. (You mentioned using 'Motorcraft plugs and cops. If not, rethink that.)

Also - there are more than a FEW cases around here where Motorcraft plugs have been 'bad out of the box' - OR DAMAGED (internally fractured) PUTTING THEM IN if the carbon deposits were not cleaned out of the extended spark plug hole in the head. It is 'MY' belief that this is a MAJOR factor in misfires on these engines. My theory and reasoning on this is detailed in this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15819897

It sounds as though you have done about everything else needed to make it run / perform good. I would just add that at 167k, you are nearing the reasonable upper end of life for steel timing chains. Eliminate the misfires or the slack in worn chains will slap the hell out of (and smash) the plastic chain guides hastening the necessity of a timing job.

I'm not much of a believer in having to "re-flash" the computer. That is generally a 'cop out' by a dealer that doesn't know what's wrong and looking for a way out short of suggesting a new engine (which they do WAY too often).

Harleyguy72 12-18-2017 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by F150Torqued (Post 17664508)
Generally speaking (though not always), light or random misfires can be cured by doing a thorough, meticulous, clean plug job with new boots/springs. These engines demand everything in the ignition system to be near perfect to reliably fire every time. They even use very high voltage and 'multi-strike' ignition coil operation below around 2000 rpm. THUS boots must not be brittle or cracked and 'impedance' of the coils is a VERY BIG factor so the coil can 'recharge' three times in about 1500 micro-seconds. (.001500 sec's, that's not very long). This is the most likely reason the engines are picky about using OEM coils. (You mentioned using 'Motorcraft plugs and cops. If not, rethink that.)

Also - there are more than a FEW cases around here where Motorcraft plugs have been 'bad out of the box' - OR DAMAGED (internally fractured) PUTTING THEM IN if the carbon deposits were not cleaned out of the extended spark plug hole in the head. It is 'MY' belief that this is a MAJOR factor in misfires on these engines. My theory and reasoning on this is detailed in this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15819897

It sounds as though you have done about everything else needed to make it run / perform good. I would just add that at 167k, you are nearing the reasonable upper end of life for steel timing chains. Eliminate the misfires or the slack in worn chains will slap the hell out of (and smash) the plastic chain guides hastening the necessity of a timing job.

I'm not much of a believer in having to "re-flash" the computer. That is generally a 'cop out' by a dealer that doesn't know what's wrong and looking for a way out short of suggesting a new engine (which they do WAY too often).

thank you for the reply. I've tried to educate myself on the 5.4 3valves as much as possible. I've always kept up with maintenance on all of my vehicles. This 06 has definitely been challenge. I agree with the idea of cleaning the carbon out. Having read that it seems very obvious. Which in my experience seems to be the most overlooked. I did finally get a po107 code with a po107 (mod)$00 freeze code. So now I'm going to check for vacuum leaks and bad gaskets at this point. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable members. I appreciate your advice.

F150Torqued 12-19-2017 07:35 AM

I'm not suggesting not do it. EVERYTHING needs to be perfect on these 5.4's to run right. But, if you had a vacuum leak, I would think you would get lean codes - p0171 &/or P0174 - and flashing CEL long before it would cause random misfires. The PCM is amazingly efficient at compensating for things and will increase fuel trims right away if there's unmetered air getting in.

From the code / mode information given, I'm assuming you have live data monitoring capability. If so, graphing or monitoring short term fuel trims is certainly the best way to check for (or find) vacuum leaks very quickly. If you have a vacuum leak or bad IM gasket it will drive short term fuel trims positive.

Harleyguy72 12-19-2017 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by F150Torqued (Post 17666923)
I'm not suggesting not do it. EVERYTHING needs to be perfect on these 5.4's to run right. But, if you had a vacuum leak, I would think you would get lean codes - p0171 &/or P0174 - and flashing CEL long before it would cause random misfires. The PCM is amazingly efficient at compensating for things and will increase fuel trims right away if there's unmetered air getting in.

From the code / mode information given, I'm assuming you have live data monitoring capability. If so, graphing or monitoring short term fuel trims is certainly the best way to check for (or find) vacuum leaks very quickly. If you have a vacuum leak or bad IM gasket it will drive short term fuel trims positive.

thank you. I will definitely go through the live data. I've also downloaded the Torque app. I just have to get it up and running. I don't drive this truck daily so fortunately I do have the time to go through and check everything without being in a rush. I've always replaced parts with oem motorcraft parts. My way of thinking is if they made it this far why take a chance on an off brand. I did however use autolite plugs and excel coils at 80k with no issues until around 120k. This was of course before hear the majority agree on motorcraft plugs and coils. Thanks again for tips.

JKaboom 02-24-2018 04:52 PM

Thank you all !!

So I have done all eight plugs and coils about 5 months ago. I did the whole process of thoroughly cleaning everything out with the drill and rag etc. What a huge difference and runs super smooth!!

Thank you all for this great thread :)

Exp2008 04-14-2018 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear F150Torqued,

This is my very first post on this forum and I am not at all sure it is appropriate to impose on you without proper introductions and following other forum guidelines. This particular thread does not seem to be very active at the moment, but I have a somewhat similar misfiring problem on my 5.4 Triton 2008 and I would be extremely grateful for your time and expertise. Besides, I could not resist the temptation to post my noob questions in the thread where Ford fans discuss Cobol and computers with 24K of RAM. My first one was 8080 with 64K, but it did not come with OS, so the programming had to be done in machine code.

If I may: here is my Expedition 2008 XLT, 127K miles, frequently used for towing an Alumaweld fishing boat (~2500lb), often for trips between Western and Eastern Washington over mountain passes on I-2 and I-90
It boasts Motocraft SP515 plugs installed in Aug 2017 with the replaced at the same time. Job was done at home with the help of the (two original old plugs did break in the process).

Since February of 2018, if my boat is behind the truck going uphill, I get either a pending or stored P0304 code.
Most of the time if the boat stays home, there is no CEL flashing, although it did happen once on a steep road (over 10% incline).

The following steps did NOT help:

1. Swapped the plugs and coils between cylinders 1 and 4.
2. Took the plugs 1,2,3 and 4 for the compression test: all ~180
3. Installed a newer SP546 (replacement for SP515) with yet another new (expensive) coil from the dealer.
4. Replaced the injector No.4

5. Gave up on "standard" misfire troubleshooting, put my older ODB2 scanner in the garage and purchased Torque Pro. This app looks amazing, but even with my background as a software developer, the learning curve is steeper than the Snoqualmie pass. I did try to build the dashboard per your specs in this thread and intermittent shaking with no codes thread with limited success. I suspect some compatibility issues, codes not accepted etc. I would very much appreciate your insight on the Test Results and FF below:

F150Torqued 04-15-2018 12:18 PM

Hello @Exp2008, and WELCOME.

Thanks for the shout out and a very articulate post with a refreshing sprinkle of humor. Fun to 'occasionally' recall the days of the 8080. Don't think mine had but 32k, and yes no OS. Only toggle switches and LEDs on the front panel with which we toggled in absolute memory addresses and machine language instructions with a 'LOAD' button! Boy - were we forced to be super logical and write 'efficient' code back then. I think my tape (bootstrap) loader routine was about 20 bytes long if I recall correctly. EVEN THAT took several minutes to toggle in - and one wrong byte toggled in ---- the whole thing would BLOW UP and trash memory!

Congratulations on getting Torque Pro (the best scanner there is - and for only $4.95!) I understand the learning curve, but I am confident an old programmer will shortly be finding lots of appreciation for the Torque developer's intuitave software and methods. Hard to fathom the difference in power / capability our phones have today over those 8080s. Literally factor of millions x speed & billions x storage!. I'm interested in the problems you had in getting dashboards up and running. Should not be a compatability issue. Did you download the CSV file and IMPROT PIDs or manually input the custom PIDs?

I want to respond to your post without delay - but give me a little time to try to absorb the data you provided appropriately to see if I can spot anything that may guide direction of further diagnosis.

Meanwhile, if you haven't stumbled across it, you might find some benefit from my personal experience with misfires in this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15819897 It may not be the ONLY thing that cured mine - but I think it is definitely ONE factor. At least, I'm running an old 2004 5.4L 3v that is north of 235,000 miles on it that routinely runs 50, 60 or even 70 drive cycles without logging one single misfire.

After studying your data, I'll get back to you with my thoughts (if I can spot anything).