Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum232/)
-   -   Looking for other C series owners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/917409-looking-for-other-c-series-owners.html)

workshoprat 05-29-2011 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by gstrostle (Post 9284143)
I'm new to the forum, just registered today. Glad to see there are other C truck enthusiasts out there. Mine is a 83 C-700 tractor with a 8.2 Detroit Diesel, 4 speed Allison AT, and air brakes. It started life with the Pennsylvania State Forestry Dept who used it to move trailers around various parks. Bought it in Binghamton NY this March. Just turned 40,000 miles on the trip back (original miles) to Pennsylvania. No body rust and good shine left in that old paint. Planning to restore it with occasional use pulling my 33 ft 5th wheel RV. Have Ford factory service manuals (D) Medium/Heavy duty body,
chassis, electrical and (E) Engines, as well as various wiring diagrams for the C series, H series, and some F series medium/Heavy trucks. So if anyone out there needs some info, let me know and I will gladly share what ever I have. Will post a picture later after I get the new stainless steel mirrors and quarter fenders installed.

is the 8.2 in your truck a factory install?? I just got a 1975 c 600 with what i have been told is a 390 engine. I have 5- 8.2s with the allison just as you describe. I have already thought about a engine swap and would be very interested to see how yours fits in as the 8.2 is a much much larger engine.

Crete 05-30-2011 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-fire32 (Post 10397882)
Getting your CDL with an air brake endorsement would be a walk in the park compared to changing out the brakes.

I don't know. Getting a CDL with an air brake endorsement could prove to be very difficult considering there is no such thing.;)

Mike-fire32 05-30-2011 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crete (Post 10404818)
I don't know. Getting a CDL with an air brake endorsement could prove to be very difficult considering there is no such thing.;)

In Oregon and Washington, both an air brake endorsement and a tank endorsement are required to drive any vehicle equipped with air brakes and a cargo tank carrying more than 119 gallons. I am going through the process right now for work in order to legally drive fire apparatus (firefighters are exempt at work but are required to have a cdl to drive commercially) and had to take those tests along with the basic cdl test just to get the permit. I believe CDL requirements are consistant across the country, so I'm not sure where you got your information.

Crete 05-30-2011 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-fire32 (Post 10404869)
In Oregon and Washington, both an air brake endorsement and a tank endorsement are required to drive any vehicle equipped with air brakes and a cargo tank carrying more than 119 gallons. I am going through the process right now for work in order to legally drive fire apparatus (firefighters are exempt at work but are required to have a cdl to drive commercially) and had to take those tests along with the basic cdl test just to get the permit. I believe CDL requirements are consistant across the country, so I'm not sure where you got your information.

Again, no such thing as an air brake endorsement, therefore can't be required.

A tanker endorsement is only required if you are operating a CMV with a cargo tank over 119 gallons.

You are right this is consistent across the country, you should double check your information

Mike-fire32 05-30-2011 11:30 PM

Ok, if you want to split hairs, it's not an endorsement, but a restriction. If you do not take and pass the test for air brakes, you are restricted from driving equipped with such. Regardless of what you want to call it, there are specific requirements in order to drive a vehicle with air brakes.

Crete 05-30-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-fire32 (Post 10404913)
there are specific requirements in order to drive a vehicle with air brakes.

Only if it requires a CDL.

BTW it is not splitting hairs.;)

Mike-fire32 05-30-2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crete (Post 10404916)
Only if it requires a CDL.

BTW it is not splitting hairs.;)

Whatever....I will let you have the last word. I know what I need to do in order to get my CDL, which includes an air brake test, so that's all I care about. Good day.

Crete 05-31-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-fire32 (Post 10404947)
Whatever....I will let you have the last word. I know what I need to do in order to get my CDL, which includes an air brake test, so that's all I care about. Good day.

LOL. I hope you study harder than you have so far.

workshoprat 05-31-2011 01:16 PM

brakes

ANY and all vehicle that has air brakes require a CDL.

And yes air brakes is an endorsement. It will clearly be labled on your CDL under the heading of ENDORSEMENTS . I carry the endorsements of B for airbrakes P for Passenger and N for tanker.

CDL is a standard that is set at the federal level so all states will have the same endorsements.

http://www.cdldigest.com/cdl_endorsements/

http://www.cdlinfo.com/cdl_endorsements.htm

Mike-fire32 05-31-2011 04:30 PM

Thanks workshoprat.

When I made the comment to Steve about getting a CDL with an air brake endorsement, it was to make a point that getting a CDL would be easier than changing from air brakes to hydraulic brakes. It is a shame when people feel the need show how much they know (or don't know) about a particular subject in order to direct the attention upon themselves. The purpose of this thread is to share our interest, knowledge and experience with Ford C series trucks, so let's stay focused on that instead of having public debates.

workshoprat 05-31-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-fire32 (Post 10407221)
Thanks workshoprat.

When I made the comment to Steve about getting a CDL with an air brake endorsement, it was to make a point that getting a CDL would be easier than changing from air brakes to hydraulic brakes. It is a shame when people feel the need show how much they know (or don't know) about a particular subject in order to direct the attention upon themselves. The purpose of this thread is to share our interest, knowledge and experience with Ford C series trucks, so let's stay focused on that instead of having public debates.

I dont know why you want to get rid of the air brakes. they are far esier to keep working and maintain. parts are way esier to get.

Crete 05-31-2011 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by workshoprat (Post 10406665)

Nope not true at all. Air brakes do NOT require a CDL.

And yes air brakes is an endorsement.

Nope. Wrong again. You should double check that.

It will clearly be labled on your CDL under the heading of ENDORSEMENTS.

Nope. No mention of air brakes on my CDL.

I carry the endorsements of B for airbrakes.

Why don't you tell us what state you are from and I will show you on your states website how wrong you are on that part.

CDL is a standard that is set at the federal level so all states will have the same endorsements.

At least you got part of that right but some states have more endorsements than others.

Crete 05-31-2011 10:07 PM

The purpose of this thread is to share our knowledge.

That is funny right there.

Crete 05-31-2011 10:18 PM

And yes air brakes is an endorsement. It will clearly be labled on your CDL under the heading of ENDORSEMENTS . I carry the endorsements of B for airbrakes P for Passenger and N for tanker.

CDL Endorsements

CDL Endorsements

This is hilarious. Did you even bother to read the links you posted? They completely contradict each other. The first one is correct.

If a driver either fails the air brake component of the general knowledge test or performs the skills
test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, the driver is issued an air brake restriction,
restricting the driver from operating a CMV equipped with air brakes.
Notice it doesn't say "a vehicle equipped with air brakes". It's says "a CMV equipped with air brakes". Do you understand the difference?

Maybe you could tell us letter represents the "cargo endorsement". LOL

Southgate 06-01-2011 05:17 AM

Thanks workshoprat.

... The purpose of this thread is to share our interest, knowledge and experience with Ford C series trucks, so let's stay focused on that instead of having public debates.

Here's a little C truck story for ya. About 32 years ago, I was building an AMT model of a C-something stake truck. I wanted to build a copy of a specific truck in town (Coos Bay, Oregon), a Weyerhaeuser truck used for running local mill maintenance parts delivery. I caught up with the truck at a supply house. It was plain but always clean and in good shape. I asked the driver if I could get a few measurements, and told him why.
"You want to build a model of THIS?" (he looked like he'd be more at home in a Corvette) He continued, "Well, if you want to build a model of it, go ahead, but don't ever buy one!"

I figured the odds of me ever actually buying one would be slim to none, but I'm glad I didn't listen!

Here's the model. I still have it. In fact these pictures are recent.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/P3230290.jpg

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/P3230291.jpg

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/P3230292.jpg

It's a pretty faithful replica, except it should have had black 5 hole Budds rather than white spyders. And a Weyco decal on the cab. The bed and stakes, tarp cover were scratchbuilt. I still build models, and plan to build one of my crane truck. In the meantime, I'm sure having a blast playing with the real one! Dan