Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Difference between F1 and F6 (1952) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/845434-difference-between-f1-and-f6-1952-a.html)

VistaGT 05-01-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 (Post 7448609)
Back pressure? Are you kidding? The only thing that feels any back pressure with this set up is the Chebby I'm blowin off the road in the lane next to me.

Yep at 3 1/2 inch diameter the pipes are plenty big. They have a built in muffler but do have a very low throaty rumble! When I'm in a mood I love driving through the market parking lot and setting off all the car alarms :-missingt

And yes they were expensive (I think). I had to have them custom made - the headers and the transition tube (the side pipes are Patriots) all together with powder coating and choming they were $1700 - two years ago.

Yea that's alot--I think the standard 3 tubes with some cheap side pipes work better for me haha!

bobj49f2 05-01-2009 09:50 AM

I say put some straight stacks on the big boy!

VistaGT 05-01-2009 11:21 AM

^^^^Interestin concept never thought of it, possibility. I called reds headers and they only make headers for F1-F5. Are the F5 and F6 the same, engine bay wise. The steering box is very close to one of the tubes on the F5. Is it the same on the F6 or is the steering box larger?

bobj49f2 05-01-2009 01:18 PM

All of the engine compartment are the same, F-1 through F-6. The F-4s and up have a larger steering box but that's the only difference other than maybe the vacuum lines that run to the brake booster. Also, on my F-4 I have absolutely no clearance between the steering box and exhaust manifold, I think my engine mount in the front is probably compressed a little. Just take a look at that are in your truck and see if you have any room in there.

Also, when are you going to post pictures of this beast? We all like pictures!

Originalchick 03-07-2013 08:09 PM

Ok, silly question time... Is the F1 the same as an F100? I'm in Australia, and we didn't get the F1,2 etc. There are plenty of F100s, F250s, F350s etc. front the 50s.

I have just bought a 48 F6 COE, shell/cabin only. I'm trying to figure out what type of chassis I can put under it.

Im thinking F100 because I want it to be super stubby, and low and chunky. (Like 48fordcoe green one). And drive more like a car than a truck. I don't want big skinny truck wheels. I want 10 and 15 inch wheels front and back, to fill those massive guards.

A friend suggested putting it on a Mustang chassis, for the independant front suspension.

Any help /suggestions would be much appreciated. There is not much info out there on them.

Thanks
Sally

havi 03-07-2013 08:23 PM

Some of those super low COE's are set upon an Old's Toronado. Not sure of the details.

Originalchick 03-07-2013 08:27 PM

Thanks Havi, but I don't know what a Toronado is! Lol. We didn't get them in Australia. I'm trying to avoid importing another thing, by using something that is here.

ALBUQ F-1 03-07-2013 10:13 PM

I know a couple of Aussies on here have F-1's, F-3's, etc. Aussiecowboy for one, and Lexcoe has a COE just like yours. I'm sure chassis for early ones aren't real common but that is far and away your best bet for a chassis to start with.

Originalchick 03-07-2013 10:20 PM

I think you will find they imported a whole car in to Australia... Not just a shell like me.
Plus Lexcoe has put his project COE on the back burner.

aussiecowboy 03-08-2013 12:58 AM

You info is a bit off Sally, we most definitely did get the F1-6 range here in Aus. I have an Aussie F3 and an F4 and know of quite a few others around. They aren't common anymore as many have been scrapped over the years but they are still out there.

A toronado was an Oldsmobile from the late 60s and 70s, those we didn't get.

aussiecowboy 03-08-2013 01:13 AM

I am selling a 59 F250 short wheel base project truck if you're interested. I'm also parting out the F4 but that will likely be too big for you.

Tropic 12-30-2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan (Post 7438659)
Sorry to post it here since it's kind of off this topic, but I can't send a PM or email to keith1952f6.

I have a complete front 51/52 F2-F6 clip, but it's not in immaculate shape. Not sure what you have now is better or not.

You would be the one to know, will lower front fenders from a normal F6 fit on a COE F6, both being 1952? Also could the upper fender forward part on the normal truck be used to repair rust around the headlights on the COE? In pictures they look the same, COE fenders are hard to find.
I am new here and just getting started, any help would be appreciated.