Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Trading 6.7 for 7.3 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1662192-trading-6-7-for-7-3-a.html)

BSHORT 05-18-2021 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by davidpacificnw (Post 19887579)
LOL. Apparently "do what you feel comfortable with" only applies to people buying gas. If you bought a diesel, it's to look "cool". Here's a pro tip for you, some people simply ask themselves, "what is the best tool I could I buy if money was not an issue?" Then they buy that tool. Could I have towed my 8000 lb TT with a gasser? Sure I could, but why would I do that when there's a better tool out there that I have not problem paying for. I realize that many people don't have that luxury and I thank god and all the hard work I've done for putting me in this situation. I can assure you, me driving a diesel has nothing to do with trying to be cool, I did it because 1) it was the best tool and 2) I can afford it.

Budget should be a key determinate in a decision. So, the real reason people choose between the two is likely that they asked themselves, "what is the best tool for the job based on my budget?" Not to be cool or they hate gasser or hate diesels. That's all

There will always be those with more money than sense. :-X24

RubyRed 4.30s 05-19-2021 11:20 AM

No shortage of opinions, but I'll add mine. I faced a similar decision as yours. I'd go F-350 for the 3:73 gearing as it gives you all the capability you need and somewhat improved MPGs when not towing. That's the decision I made. My mileage is up 1mpg over my 6.2L with 4:30s.

Someone made a great point - there are no trucks to be had, and if there are, you're not gaining anything by trading high and buying high. I ordered mine with X-Plan and was luckly to have it show up in about 10 or 11 weeks. That's how I bought at a discount but still took advantage of the high trade values.

Ichulk25 05-19-2021 09:03 PM

I had a 2020 7.3 cclb that was stock. I custom ordered and loved the truck until 4K miles. Started having multiple issues with motor codes, wiring codes , etc. was at dealership for 30+ days and they couldn’t figure it out. I sold it to the dealership yesterday with 5200mi after I go it back from service for what I paid for it and ordered the exact same truck for 2022 with a 6.7. You do what works best for you. Just my 2 cents

BSHORT 05-19-2021 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ichulk25 (Post 19889186)
I had a 2020 7.3 cclb that was stock. I custom ordered and loved the truck until 4K miles. Started having multiple issues with motor codes, wiring codes , etc. was at dealership for 30+ days and they couldn’t figure it out. I sold it to the dealership yesterday with 5200mi after I go it back from service for what I paid for it and ordered the exact same truck for 2022 with a 6.7. You do what works best for you. Just my 2 cents

Cool. You found a turd. Plenty of diesel turds out there as well.

Ichulk25 05-19-2021 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by BSHORT (Post 19889190)
Cool. You found a turd. Plenty of diesel turds out there as well.

Being a “senior user” you must know more than most. You should be a tech for Ford so you could tell them how to fix their turds. 👍🏻

BSHORT 05-19-2021 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ichulk25 (Post 19889201)
Being a “senior user” you must know more than most. You should be a tech for Ford so you could tell them how to fix their turds. 👍🏻

Step over to GM for a CP4 eating itself..or maybe a Ram that will fall apart around the drivetrain. Your money, your problem.

Ichulk25 05-19-2021 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by BSHORT (Post 19889214)
Step over to GM for a CP4 eating itself..or maybe a Ram that will fall apart around the drivetrain. Your money, your problem.

You’re correct, and now the problem(s) are fords and I didn’t loose a cent on the trade in.

HAP Const 05-20-2021 06:29 AM

To be honest I would have bought a diesel instead of my truck, but I couldn’t find one. I live in a state that has Tasca and Flood Ford. No diesels to be had when I was looking. I am more of a buy when I see it person. I can’t order something then wait 4 months for it come in. Once this craziness ends and dealers get some inventory I will make the switch. The 7.3 tows great, but I see a new excavator in my future and I don’t want to buy a another dump truck to pull it around.

RubenZ 05-20-2021 09:15 AM

Honestly people just need to realize that not everyone needs a Diesel. I love diesel trucks. My last GM LBZ duramax was awesome and full of power. Even though back then the power numbers were kinda of close to what the new Ford 7.3 has so I'll be happy with it. I just couldn't justify the extra maintenance, cost and increased price. I simply do not need diesel and I barely even need the F250. All my tows are under 10k pounds. I just prefer more towing comfort so i usually like more truck than I need. I think the 7.3 will be just fine.

Daddy454 05-20-2021 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BSHORT (Post 19884469)
Weakest link in a 1/2 ton is the tires. Did you put E's on the Ram?

I ran the stock Wrangler for 50k+.By the time I replaced them with Nitto's,I already had the SD.

titus_4 05-21-2021 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by RubenZ (Post 19889789)
Honestly people just need to realize that not everyone needs a Diesel. I love diesel trucks. My last GM LBZ duramax was awesome and full of power. Even though back then the power numbers were kinda of close to what the new Ford 7.3 has so I'll be happy with it. I just couldn't justify the extra maintenance, cost and increased price. I simply do not need diesel and I barely even need the F250. All my tows are under 10k pounds. I just prefer more towing comfort so i usually like more truck than I need. I think the 7.3 will be just fine.

Exactly. This thread has gotten so far out of whack. I absolutely love my truck now but I just don't need it any more. Honestly, 80% of my driving could be handled by a Geo Metro lol. I was just looking for people who had made the switch, not to start a diesel vs gas debate.

nick112288 05-21-2021 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by titus_4 (Post 19891271)
Exactly. This thread has gotten so far out of whack. I absolutely love my truck now but I just don't need it any more. Honestly, 80% of my driving could be handled by a Geo Metro lol. I was just looking for people who had made the switch, not to start a diesel vs gas debate.

The problem is you started a thread about the 7.3L. The diesel guys can't help but come in to those threads and expound upon how all gas buyers are wrong.

jollyrogr 05-21-2021 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by nick112288 (Post 19891284)
The problem is you started a thread about the 7.3L. The diesel guys can't help but come in to those threads and expound upon how all gas buyers are wrong.

LOL. The gasser guys are passionate too and never hesitate to point out all the perceived negatives of owning a diesel. I don't care what other people drive. Not everyone's wants/needs/budget is the same. Some people even think a Dodge is a good truck! Buy what you like if you can find it - this is still America, for now.

davidpacificnw 05-21-2021 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by BSHORT (Post 19887739)
There will always be those with more money than sense. :-X24

words often spoke by those with less of both...

losttrail 05-21-2021 04:07 PM

I've had numerous trucks over the years and on my 4th SD: 1999 F250 4x4 5.4L gas, 2005 F350 4x2 6.0L diesel, 2016 4x4 F250 6.2L gas and currently 2019 4x4 6.7L diesel. Let me preface that all the SD's have been owned when living at or travelling a lot to altitude in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.

I've towed and hauled with every one of them close to or right at their posted maximums. On the gassers, I've always lamented not having the diesel version when getting close to the maximum limits.
The 2016 and this 2019 are my favorite trucks (except for the 1956 F100 I had in high school). They have the same 3.55:1 gearing.
I will note that while the 2016 6.2L pulled everything I asked it to, it worked and shifted the daylights out of the tranny. I have pulled the exact same load with the 2019 6.7L over the same trips, and where the 6.2L was shifting down to 3rd and winding the engine tight, the 6.7L have never gone below 5th and only for a very short amount of time.
Could the 6.2 pull our current 5th wheel with a max of 11,000 lbs? Yes, it was rated to do that, but it would have worked much, much harder to do it. And what would have happened to the trade-in value had someone seen 6.2L with a 5th wheel hitch? They would have known that no matter what, the 6.2L was worked.
I've pulled the 5th wheel from Colorado to MT and back and forth, now residing in MT, with this 6.7L diesel. Barely even know it's back there.
For us and what we do with the truck, diesel is our choice. Wife had me order a 2022 a couple weeks ago and she specified the diesel, since she much prefers how it behaves when we're towing.

If the 6.2 or 7.3 meets your needs< great and I'll support your decision all day. As someone stated earlier, the fuel mileage is a moot point and dead argument. Diesel fuel most always costs more per gallon and recouping the $10,000± upgrade for the diesel engine will take many, many, many miles to get your ROI on the slightly better mileage a diesel may get.

For myself, the diesel does win in the mileage whether unladen or towing. But again, diesel fuel is now back to being more expensive than gas, oil changes are significantly more expensive and the added upcharge takes a looooooooooong time to overcome.