Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   This is the planning & info thread for the September 2019 PA Truckstock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558418-this-is-the-planning-and-info-thread-for-the-september-2019-pa-truckstock.html)

abe 03-23-2019 02:39 PM

The RR Bridge looks prettier with leaves on the trees!

The leaves won't be turning color yet in mid September but it will be pretty.

bobj49f2 03-23-2019 07:36 PM

Abe when I picked up my panel truck in Palmyra, next to Hershey, we left and drove up some mountain, I think on the Penn. Turnpike. It was some pretty country but I had trouble hauling the trailer with the panel on it pulled by my new at the time '04 Dodge 1500 pickup. I am sure I would never be able to make it up that hill with the F-2. I need to find a more old Ford truck route.

Jim, remember, my wife was my navigator for my trip down to KY in '12. I was doing the steering and double clutching while she watched the map. She was the one who missed the turn off and we ended up on top of Pine Mountain. Hopefully she'll be a little more contentious reading the map this time. GPS is of no real help when trying to avoid express ways and interstates.

Dave, I just loaded my truck up with every part I could think of that could go out on me on my trip to KY. I had an extra generator, water pump and carburetor, which I ended up having to use, with Ross's help, to cobble together a usable carb . I also carried two spare tires, a gallon of oil and a few gallons of water and anti-freeze. I figured if something really bad happened I'd have the truck towed to the nearest self storage place, rent a car and come back in a week with a trailer to pick it up. I also doubt I'd find a mechanic with experience working on a 60+ year old truck. My nephew is a very good mechanic and works on repairs on modern cars I probably wouldn't think of touching but he know almost zelch about the mechanics of the F-2. He hasn't got a clue on how to set the carburetor or drum brakes.

52 USCG Panel 03-23-2019 08:03 PM

Hey Bob. Having your wife looking at a map is going to be much better then not having anyone at all. Two years ago, I wanted to follow the historic Michigan Road through Indiana, but there was just no way I could keep up with all the turns involved. Driving and looking at a map doesn't work well for me. Stopping all the time didn't seem to be a good solution either.

I have a fancy voice activated GPS, and that was able to get me from town to town pretty well out in the rural areas away from the big cities. Someone smarter might have been able to set it up to follow a specific route, but I wasn't able to.

I do worry about the mountains--especially going down! My friend, the mechanic, might come along to Truckstock. He's hoping to sell his shop, and may be retired (and available) by September. He knows all about old vehicles like ours. Maybe he would drive a mid-sixties Mustang--but I'm getting ahead of myself. There are a lot of "ifs" and "buts" involved in his agreeing to go on an 1800 mile journey with me.

Jim

drptop70ss 03-23-2019 09:43 PM

This sounds like a great time, but with my schedule I will be a last minute decision. Will have to see if there is a floor to sleep on when we get closer to the date LOL!

56panelford 03-23-2019 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss (Post 18557374)
This sounds like a great time, but with my schedule I will be a last minute decision. Will have to see if there is a floor to sleep on when we get closer to the date LOL!

You have a bed on your truck Dave...:) lol

drptop70ss 03-23-2019 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 56panelford (Post 18557395)
You have a bed on your truck Dave...:) lol

End of September? I am too much of a diva to freeze my arse off in a truck bed :D

56panelford 03-23-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss (Post 18557404)
End of September? I am too much of a diva to freeze my arse off in a truck bed :D

Now you're sounding like my wife....lol

abe 03-23-2019 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss (Post 18557404)

The Central PA Mountain Truckstock is in the middle of September.... Sept 19-22.

There is a Quality Inn at Milesburg right off Interstate 80 just 7 miles from the State Park in case you need a room at the last minute and there's no room at teh park.

4tl8ford 03-23-2019 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 18557455)
The Central PA Mountain Truckstock is in the middle of September.... Sept 19-22.

There is a Quality Inn at Milesburg right off Interstate 80 just 7 miles from the State Park in case you need a room at the last minute and there's no room at teh park.

Where is Penn State playing that weekend if its a home game rooms will be tight

abe 03-23-2019 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 18557127)
Abe when I picked up my panel truck in Palmyra, next to Hershey, we left and drove up some mountain, I think on the Penn. Turnpike. It was some pretty country but I had trouble hauling the trailer with the panel on it pulled by my new at the time '04 Dodge 1500 pickup. I am sure I would never be able to make it up that hill with the F-2. I need to find a more old Ford truck route.

The maximum grade on the Penna Turnpike is 3%. Maybe you were on US Route 322 which goes right by Palmyra through Hershey across the river at Harrisburg and then from there through Lewistown to State College. Between Lewistown and State College there is a big grade going over the "Seven Mountains."

pintoplumber 03-31-2019 07:16 AM

I’ve been looking for ethanol free gas stations in the area on the internet, and have come up with Hiller’s fuel oil in Jersey Shore and the airport in Lock Haven. When I pull the camper it seems to run better on ethanol free. Are there any others? Dennis

abe 03-31-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by pintoplumber (Post 18571912)
I’ve been looking for ethanol free gas stations in the area on the internet, and have come up with Hiller’s fuel oil in Jersey Shore and the airport in Lock Haven. When I pull the camper it seems to run better on ethanol free. Are there any others? Dennis

I have bought No-E gas at Hiller's. I've called the Piper Airport about their gas. It is now for pilots only. It is self serve and you need a card to buy it.

There is a place in Lamar called Ingram's Fuel that sells it. Ingram's is just south of Interstate 80 on route 64. I have bought No-E gas there also. Both Hiller's and Ingram's are both exactly 13 miles from my house. Ingram's is in Nittany Valley one valley east of Bald Eagle Valley where the state park is located. But there is no easy way to get there. It is 12 miles from the park.

Gicknordon 04-08-2019 07:33 AM

Just put in for vacation for the friday, so I will be driving up friday morning. I still plan on bringing a tent.

abe 04-08-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gicknordon (Post 18587845)
Just put in for vacation for the friday, so I will be driving up friday morning. I still plan on bringing a tent.

All right Nick! Sounds good! I'll mark you down. It will be great to meet you and see your truck. Did you call Bald Eagle to reserve a tent space?

52 USCG Panel 04-08-2019 08:26 AM

Truckstock campers should try for a site in the Sycamore Loop. Dennis has site #95, and I'm on #98. Tom's yurt is close by. Welcome Nick!

Jim