Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

nolan62 02-13-2011 01:13 PM

Replaced the Alt and P/S pump. Now there is nothing under the hood that isn't new or rebuilt. This truck is going to last a loooooong time. Carpet and Upholstery on order, only need the the exhaust welded up and off to the body shop for paint. 10 months of hard work almost done!

MartyRayII 02-13-2011 02:50 PM

Today I finally washed my new to me 83 Ford F150 4x4 w/4.9!!! I waited to wash it because I just bought it a few days ago and have been working through all of the kinks that come with an old truck thats been sitting for a long while.
Over the past few days I have removed and replaced the battery, new cables, alternator, voltage regulator, solenoid, bled the brake system, removed and cleaned the rusted fuel tank, rebuilt the carter, oil change, and changed out the fuel filters a few times.
She is now running great, hence the much needed bath she got today. :-D

Gary Lewis 02-13-2011 03:05 PM

Congrat, Marty! I know the feeling, since I bought mine last summer and didn't really get to drive it for several months. Such a good feeling when you do get to do so.

And, forgot to tell you: Good idea to put 2 filters ahead of the pump. I have one and it is collecting silt/rust, even though I washed the tank similar to what you did, although I had a helper. Used $25 in gasoline alone cleaning the tank. Anyway, I clogged 2 of the metal filters at the carb before I put the see-through plastic one in its place and another plastic one ahead of the pump. Since then, no problems - ahhhh, no fuel problems.

MartyRayII 02-13-2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 9962899)
And, forgot to tell you: Good idea to put 2 filters ahead of the pump. I have one and it is collecting silt/rust, even though I washed the tank similar to what you did, although I had a helper. Used $25 in gasoline alone cleaning the tank. Anyway, I clogged 2 of the metal filters at the carb before I put the see-through plastic one in its place and another plastic one ahead of the pump. Since then, no problems - ahhhh, no fuel problems.

Thank you and thats right ahhhhhh....no fuel problems!!!:-drink
I am keeping them in rotation too I have bought 4 so far and switch the front one back and put the new one pump side.

okiepc1 02-13-2011 03:51 PM

This messes with my mind, took the truck to the carwash to get all the junk off from the blizzards we have had. Three mornings ago we had -10 degrees & a couple feet of snow, today it is 71 degrees & I am out splitting wood in my shirt sleeves, still snow on the ground, crazy. Looks like a the next 10 days are all good 60s & 70s.

okiepc1

jthorngate3 02-13-2011 03:59 PM

Hey Okie...screw you, friend

phurst 02-13-2011 04:19 PM

Replaced my front shocks today. I still need to do the rears, but I'm going to be swapping some tires onto my wheels next weekend and will do the rears while the wheels are off. I didn't have to pull the front wheels to do the front shocks. The ones I removed were completely shot, no damping at all. I suspect the rears are the same. What a major difference just with the fronts. I also installed new bushings on the door strikers. The passenger side door is nice and tight now. The drivers side striker needs to be adjusted, but I didn't have a torx bit big enough to do it. I'll try to tackle that next weekend as well.

okiepc1 02-13-2011 04:52 PM

jthorngate3, Thanks, I was just outside doing magic tricks, makin a 6 pack dissappear on this pretty day. Seriously I know where your coming from, I was born in NY & spent much of my youth there so I feel your pain.

okiepc1

Rogue_Wulff 02-13-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by okiepc1 (Post 9963078)
This messes with my mind, took the truck to the carwash to get all the junk off from the blizzards we have had. Three mornings ago we had -10 degrees & a couple feet of snow, today it is 71 degrees & I am out splitting wood in my shirt sleeves, still snow on the ground, crazy. Looks like a the next 10 days are all good 60s & 70s.

okiepc1

Yes, the Feb thaw sure feels good, doesn't it? I'm up the road from you a bit. Last summer I moved from Bristow, to Sapulpa.
Remember back to 96. On feb 4, it was -11. By feb 21, it had hit 96. Just as a precursor, the summer of 96, we had more than 60 days of 100+ temps........ That was a miserable summer.

okiepc1 02-13-2011 05:09 PM

I remember that summer well, the body shop I worked in had no south doors, most days the thermometer would be 109 degrees by 3:00, hurt in that kind of heat.

okiepc1

Greyf100 02-13-2011 05:09 PM

hood: $38
cowl: $13

Pull-A-Part isnt bad on pricing, but the other yards around here charge 1/2 retail for everything!

okiepc1 02-13-2011 05:23 PM

those are excellent prices, you're lucky

okiepc1

Rogue_Wulff 02-13-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by okiepc1 (Post 9963400)
those are excellent prices, you're lucky

okiepc1

WERD!

Random stuff to make forum happy.....:confused:

Gary Lewis 02-13-2011 06:19 PM

Yeah, the weather looks good for the next few, but several years we've had March snowstorms that eclipsed the Feb ones. And that snow is always HEAVY.

Anyway, maybe my truck'll get out to the alignment shop this week.

MartyRayII 02-14-2011 05:39 PM

Freshened the lube, filter, and threw in a quart of marvel all paid for by the scrap metal that I recycled from the garage and a friends house. Even had a little left for a 12 pack!!!
Woohoo, feels sooooo good to have a truck again!