Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Best Mods For Fuel Economy? (New here) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/964918-best-mods-for-fuel-economy-new-here.html)

gearloose1 06-12-2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by tex25025 (Post 8993564)
I don't think they actually use that one, but I can't swear to it with regard to all the places that offer FICM tuning. I know mine doesn't have that one.

Generally, there are far bigger safety margins (not always) with software mods than there are in hardware mods.

Looking at the Ford / Navistar software, it is not hard to see that there are lots of room to improve on their work.

For example, what possess them to do a "defuel" routine for excess EOT, but not an emergency shutdown when EOT pushes close to plastic parts melting?

Ford Software Dingos!

Oh... was there a change in the PCM hardware between pre 2005 vs. after and hence there are fewer upgrades? Or is that just a change in the dash indicator panel (adding the wrench)?

Did they go from 8 to 16 bit computers?

tex25025 06-12-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by gearloose1 (Post 8993571)

Did they go from 8 to 16 bit computers?

I know the different names for the computers. Black Oak 256k and Green Oak 516K or something along those lines. I knew at one time, but hell I've forgotten that since then.

FishOnOne 06-12-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by gearloose1 (Post 8993558)
LOL... FICM software (not hardware) tuning is generally OK by my books... as long as you don't do the inductive heating to excess.

What do you mean don't do the inductive heating too excess?

gearloose1 06-12-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 8993808)
What do you mean don't do the inductive heating too excess?

One of the not so bright ideas of Ford was to issue a version of the FICM software that basically heated up the injectors by "exercising" them.

Except that it overheated the FICM module --- resulting in FICM failure.

That flash was promptly replaced with another one.

Low battery/charge voltage is an ficm killer. If you have the 07 inductive flash it has been known to be hard on the ficm. New flash Nov. 09 that helps this problem. It is not covered under warranty.
<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

Ficm? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Plus, if you are buying a "used" FICM or a truck check that your FICM / Vehicle does not test HIV positive, which then will eventually turn into AIDS.

HIV = High Injector Voltage (over 50V)

AIDS = Acquired Injector Destruction Syndrome

Them trucks from San Francisco is real bad...

FishOnOne 06-12-2010 10:24 AM

[quote=gearloose1;8993828]One of the not so bright ideas of Ford was to issue a version of the FICM software that basically heated up the injectors by "exercising" them.quote]

Ok I think I understand... There were basically two strategies to address injector stiction 1) that exercised the spool valves to pump out the oil 2) that applied heat to the injector via applying current to the coil (inductive heat).

Are you saying that the first version was bad and that the current inductive heating second version is ok?

smlford 06-12-2010 02:45 PM

I have the same truck and with a few minor changes i have been able to average 16.7 in mixed driving (80K) and get 19 to 20.2 MPG's on longer trips.

This is what I have done:

1. Keep tire pressure up to 80 PSI if you can stand it
2. Use synthetic fluids wherever possible
3. Put a tonneau cover on the bed
4. Keep the RPM's as low as possible on the highway
5. Use the Cruise control as much as possible
6. Use a cetane additive like this...Blue Ridge Diesel: SPECIALS: Diesel engines, diesel generatorsm, industrial diesel engines, diesel fuel injection

I'm not interested in jepardizing the longevity of my truck by chipping it and so far so good.
Although it will not improve your mileage I would install a coolant bypass filter kit. :-wink

cheezit 06-12-2010 02:54 PM

as it seems to be the current revision has been much nicer on the units, we have seen far less of them fail latly here.

gearloose1 06-12-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 8994589)
as it seems to be the current revision has been much nicer on the units, we have seen far less of them fail latly here.

Did the Ford Software Dingos go to grade school and learn about voltage, current, and power, and energy dissipated?

Why, if they went to first year College Engineering, they can find out about Thermal Design Power!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Design_Power

lovntexas 06-14-2010 07:40 PM

Drive with the wind! U can pick up 4-5 mph with a good 20mph tail wind.

zeus77 02-29-2012 01:18 PM

I WISH I my 06 Lariat FX-4 dually would get 14-15 OR even 13 mpg! This truck only gets 11.8 average and has never got more than 13 (rare occassion with a tailwind and down hill) LOL! It only gets 10.8 to11.0 mpg towing a 22ft camper in hilly terrain. With the air and fuel filters changed every 10K, oil every 4K, and enough cetane boost additive to raise numbers 8 points added with every tank, its still the same! Itk is somewhat comforting to know that it could be worse! My F-250 4x4 with the 460 and 35in tires only got 6.5 to 7 mpg! Even so, I'm like extremefun1300 IF THERE IS a mod or method to get any additional fuel economy and still be cost effective, I'd be very interested!

tex25025 02-29-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by zeus77 (Post 11507447)
Even so, I'm like extremefun1300 IF THERE IS a mod or method to get any additional fuel economy and still be cost effective, I'd be very interested!

Pipe dream. Most of the mods that are out there that most people will buy, even though they do mention the possibility of MPG improvements, those mods are first and foremost performance enhancers.

However, the biggest variable that you are going to have with any MPG calculation is going to be location specific and that is highly individual. Someone might get the exact same mods as you and for whatever reason, might see an improvement in MPG, don't expect the same thing to happen to you.

Sad fact of life.

Frankenbiker 02-29-2012 09:55 PM

Those high-teen mileage numbers are for an empty truck that's not pulling anything.

10-12 is normal for a towing vehicle, and 9-10 is normal for pulling in the hills.

-blaine

tripple3 07-03-2013 03:48 AM

My experience and training at a Ford Mechanics School years ago said, "always keep your tank above 1/2 full. You get more pressure and finer mist to combine with the air. Also, keep them tires round. Add +2 lbs from recommended pressure, and add an additive to get the Octane up unless you can afford gas with no ethanol. Worked well for me. went from 18 hwy to 21.

tex25025 07-03-2013 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by tripple3 (Post 13307841)
My experience and training at a Ford Mechanics School years ago said, "always keep your tank above 1/2 full. You get more pressure and finer mist to combine with the air. Also, keep them tires round. Add +2 lbs from recommended pressure, and add an additive to get the Octane up unless you can afford gas with no ethanol. Worked well for me. went from 18 hwy to 21.

I don't think I will be doing that.

Putting gas in a diesel will not only kill your mileage, but more then likely kill the truck as well done in large quantities.

<object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">

</object>

jsm180 07-03-2013 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by tripple3 (Post 13307841)
My experience and training at a Ford Mechanics School years ago said, "always keep your tank above 1/2 full. You get more pressure and finer mist to combine with the air.

Sorry, this is just false information. It's a pressure regulated fuel system, as long as the pick up sees fuel it will maintain pressure.