Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   2020 F-150 Upgrades (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1647792-2020-f-150-upgrades.html)

MIF-150 02-20-2021 05:35 AM

Are those new headlights DOT approved for California? I like the look!
Timm

IndyDog 02-20-2021 07:06 AM

Good job! Love the STX grille the best.

chiefdave 02-20-2021 08:12 AM

You look to have made a great deal of progress in the short time you have owned the truck. I saw a early 60's Falcon lurking in your garage ,hope that you exercise it on a regular basis. If you're like me I much prefer to drive my '62 F100 than my new truck.

JKBrad 02-20-2021 11:02 AM

Nice transformation. A vinyl wrap in the matching color on the front bumper would work better and will last longer than paint since the bumper rock chips so bad.

I think you’re the first guy on this board to get those headlights. You should start a separate thread about the install and performance or them.

oldbleu 02-20-2021 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by MIF-150 (Post 19742803)
Are those new headlights DOT approved for California? I like the look!
Timm

They are DOT approved.

Heintzee 02-21-2021 03:23 PM

Great looking truck!

oldbleu 02-21-2021 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by chiefdave (Post 19742974)
You look to have made a great deal of progress in the short time you have owned the truck. I saw a early 60's Falcon lurking in your garage ,hope that you exercise it on a regular basis. If you're like me I much prefer to drive my '62 F100 than my new truck.

The Falcon is a '63 Futura with a Ford Performance Boss 302 crate motor and a toploader 4-speed. I do prefer driving the vintage Fords over newer stuff. :-X22

oldbleu 02-21-2021 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by IndyDog (Post 19742881)
Good job! Love the STX grille the best.

Originally Posted by Heintzee (Post 19745439)
Great looking truck!

Thanks guys!

TJReams 02-23-2021 11:47 AM

Great Job on both rides!
TJ

Skylaneman 02-23-2021 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JKBrad (Post 19743315)

I think you’re the first guy on this board to get those headlights. You should start a separate thread about the install and performance or them.

I installed those lights a few weeks ago on my 2016 Lariat. Their website says all over the place lights are shipped out within a day or two. Mine took about 6 weeks. No communication from the company until I asked. The instructions are very poor. When you start with a truck that has factory LED's like me you only have one connection on the back of the stock light. The XB's have a blizzard of connections and the instruction sheet is a joke on how to hook them up. They should go connector by connector and tell you how to do it. Some connections are simply not used. They don't tell you that.
The disassembly video was mostly correct. My truck has small factory installed guards that go over the wheel well lip. I wouldn't call them fender flares but similar. Nowhere in the instructions are these dealt with. Once the old headlights are out the new ones fit perfect, all the holes line up.
Aiming the low beams is easy, the adjustment screw is easily accessible. The instructions say to aim your truck at a wall 25 feet away. Measure the distance from the floor to the headlights. Mine is 40.5 inches, then take that distance and mark it on the wall. The low beams throw a very sharp line so it's easy to measure. Prior to adjustment the XB's were 8.5 inches low. The light output following the instructions is phenomenal. Well that's because it's wrong. Every single car I passed flashed me. You simply cannot have your headlights aimed straight out as per the instructions.
The light output with high beams is great, no issues there. The headlights look good, especially the blinker if you set them up to chase.

oldbleu 02-23-2021 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaneman (Post 19748916)
I installed those lights a few weeks ago on my 2016 Lariat. Their website says all over the place lights are shipped out within a day or two. Mine took about 6 weeks. No communication from the company until I asked. The instructions are very poor. When you start with a truck that has factory LED's like me you only have one connection on the back of the stock light. The XB's have a blizzard of connections and the instruction sheet is a joke on how to hook them up. They should go connector by connector and tell you how to do it. Some connections are simply not used. They don't tell you that.
The disassembly video was mostly correct. My truck has small factory installed guards that go over the wheel well lip. I wouldn't call them fender flares but similar. Nowhere in the instructions are these dealt with. Once the old headlights are out the new ones fit perfect, all the holes line up.
Aiming the low beams is easy, the adjustment screw is easily accessible. The instructions say to aim your truck at a wall 25 feet away. Measure the distance from the floor to the headlights. Mine is 40.5 inches, then take that distance and mark it on the wall. The low beams throw a very sharp line so it's easy to measure. Prior to adjustment the XB's were 8.5 inches low. The light output following the instructions is phenomenal. Well that's because it's wrong. Every single car I passed flashed me. You simply cannot have your headlights aimed straight out as per the instructions.
The light output with high beams is great, no issues there. The headlights look good, especially the blinker if you set them up to chase.

My experience with the Morimoto SB headlights was virtually the same. I bought mine from Stage 3 who had the best price I could find. My headlights were delivered on the third day after placing my order by phone. The box was huge and weighed 40 pounds. As mentioned, the enclosed instructions are garbage. Morimoto has better instructions on their web site. The best instructions are on YouTube. There are at least a half dozen YouTube videos that provide step by step instructions as to how the install is done. I watched every video I could find at least once. Most of these videos also show how to deal with the wheel lip moldings. My truck does not have them, but the procedure for loosening the front wheel lip moldings and for removing the upper bumper fascia is basically the same. The entire installation process involves removing the upper bumper molding, grille and headlights. For me, the hardest part of the whole procedure was removing and reinstalling the upper bumper molding/fascia. I also discovered that a significant portion of this installation involves parts that snap together. I also installed the Ford STX grille components when I put the truck back together.

My truck came with the dim, halogen headlights which meant installing the new Morimoto headlights was plug and play as opposed to swapping out the factory LED lights. I did not have to use the wiring harnesses that came in the Morimoto box. Including all of those parts in every box does seem like a waste. As Skylaneman mentioned, the new headlight pods were a perfect fit and adjusting the lights was straight forward. I took the truck out for a spin and promptly got flashed by every car I passed. I adjusted the low beams as low as I could and still have them be effective. Shooting the lights on the garage door only helped me make sure the beams were even. I could not find a way to adjust the high beams. However, they do put out a lot of light.

One other issue involves the radio interference caused by these lights. Weak FM stations get lost in the increased levels of static coming into my stock Ford radio. I spoke to Morimoto and they told me they had engineered the problem out of the SB headlight package about 2 years ago. I told them that they still have a ways to go.

Overall, the Morimoto SB headlights look good and perform good. The daylight running lights and sequential amber turn signals are pretty cool. Installation is not overly difficult, but not for everybody. The price for this upgrade is not for the faint of heart. :'(

oldbleu 04-01-2021 10:57 PM

Every once in a while, I get the urge to page through the "What have you done to your F-150" thread to see what others are doing with their trucks. During one such excursion, I came across a post where a Mishimoto coolant reservoir was installed in a 2018 F-150. I was impressed with how much the Mishimoto part improved the appearance of the engine compartment.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...df81b43fdb.jpg

Actually, I was impressed enough to buy one and install it in my truck. Installation was easy and I like the results. The stock plastic reservoir just doesn't seem to go with the rest of the engine compartment.

I also installed a "BuiltRight Ind." dash tray bracket and some "Ram Mounts" components to hold my cell phone and radar detector.

I am finally coming down to the end of installing all of the upgrades that I had planned for my new truck. The remaining modification will consist of a limited slip differential (Yukon) and set of OEM Ford 3.73 gears. I have managed to round up all of the necessary parts and I am in line for having the installation done at a local gear specialty shop. Then I will have to figure out how to get my Forscan program to make the necessary software changes to reflect the new gear ratio.

CR172 04-02-2021 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by oldbleu (Post 19811470)
....... set of OEM Ford 3.73 gears. I have managed to round up all of the necessary parts and I am in line for having the installation done at a local gear specialty shop. Then I will have to figure out how to get my Forscan program to make the necessary software changes to reflect the new gear ratio.

I'd like to change my rear gears from 3.31 to 3.73's. I'd be curious what this ends up costing you.

oldbleu 05-29-2021 09:53 PM

I have come to the end of my list of upgrades to my 2020 F-150 short bed. In the following paragraphs I will try to update what has been done. Things went a little slower that anticipated due to some health concerns and technical setbacks.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...762600769b.jpg

The exhaust has been modified with a Magnaflow muffler designed for the V-8 F-150. OEM splash guards and STX badging were also added to go with the other STX modifications.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...9f4505b0c2.jpg

The stock rearend came with an open style differential with 3.15 gears. I had a set of OEM 3.73 gears installed along with a Yukon limited slip differential. The Yukon diff uses a genuine FoMoCo casting and bolts right into the Super 8.8 housing. A PML aluminum differential cover replaced the stock Ford steel cover.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...4a7fe5b3ec.jpg
The aluminum PML cover has provisions for both adding and draining the rearend fluid. I used the genuine Ford fluid which is not a cheap date by any means.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e17c80b22b.jpg
Inside the bed, I added a pair of BuiltRight Industries racks. This will make it easier to secure certain load items as may be necessary. BuiltRight Industries is 100% American and makes high quality items.

When it came time to make the required changes to the on board computers, I took the truck back to my local Ford dealer. I was told that they could not make the changes to the values for the rearend gears and the larger tire circumference per Ford Motor Company regulations. I asked them for the procedure for changing the values when I have to make a simple tire change with a different size. I am still waiting for their reply. In the weeks prior, I had tried doing the Forscan program with no success. After the disappointment with the Ford dealer, I got real serious about making Forscan work. I purchased a more up to date laptop computer along with the latest OBD2 / USB interface cable. I also immersed myself in several YouTube F-150 Forscan related videos. The result was success. I changed my truck's onboard computer from the stock 3.15 gear ratio to 3.73 and modified the tire circumference value which got me to within 1 MPH between actual speed and indicated speed on the truck's speedometer. Also, the new gear ratio resulted in performance gains that were noteworthy. The transmission shifts are now crisp and solid. The acceleration is much improved and I still show about 1800 RPM at 75 mph on the freeway.

I will continue to improve my expertise with Forscan. There are still a few additional changes that I would like to make.

Stealth13777 05-29-2021 10:29 PM

Looks really good! I’m going to look up the built right item (already have some of their stuff) and the diff cover you have.

Out of curiosity, did you notice any difference ride/handling with the wheel change?

Also, THANK YOU for actually caring about others with the headlights.