Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Green Power's 2012 F-150 XL ECSB 5.0 4X4 "Ruby" (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1464587-green-powers-2012-f-150-xl-ecsb-5-0-4x4-ruby.html)

Green Power 02-15-2017 03:37 PM

Anybody have any thoughts on Tuners?

Turbo Dog 02-15-2017 04:02 PM

Just read through this thread and I want to say thanks for putting up the brand name of those reverse light bulbs. Here is where I found them:
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

No advice on a tuner...I don't bother with one because I like the 5.0 just as it is, and if you look below, I have a much more powerful old 460.

Green Power 02-15-2017 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Dog (Post 16954329)
Just read through this thread and I want to say thanks for putting up the brand name of those reverse light bulbs. Here is where I found them:
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

No advice on a tuner...I don't bother with one because I like the 5.0 just as it is, and if you look below, I have a much more powerful old 460.

Those are the same bulbs I have, and I love them!!! So much more light everywhere they shine!

ubereal2 02-16-2017 06:25 AM

I wish I'd seen these lights before I bought mine. I bought a 2 pack of Sylvania LED's for $20. I'm sure they're not as bright as what you bought. I do get more light from them, with the stock bulb type, I literally couldn't see our driveway. :(

Unk Bob:-wink

Green Power 02-16-2017 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ubereal2 (Post 16955742)
I wish I'd seen these lights before I bought mine. I bought a 2 pack of Sylvania LED's for $20. I'm sure they're not as bright as what you bought. I do get more light from them, with the stock bulb type, I literally couldn't see our driveway. :(

Unk Bob:-wink

I think everyone agrees that the stock bulbs couldn't even be seen over the tail/brake lights, it was ridiculous.

Turbo Dog 02-16-2017 05:58 PM

I had added one of those license plate frames with a built in light, it's pretty good but looks like hell after a couple of years. The lens over the lights has turned a nasty yellow. These will be taking it's place and it can go on my dirty old one ton.

Green Power 02-26-2017 03:55 AM

Well, I am potentially selling Ruby in 8 hours. I will keep you guys updated on weather or not she sells... It has been a good run with her, although the opportunity has arrived to move onto a diesel.
The F-250 I'm potentially buying. https://www.rbauction.com/2012-FORD-...VER-CO-2017158

ubereal2 02-26-2017 07:31 AM

Good luck if that's what you want to do, but 258,000 miles would scare the he77 out of me.

Unk Bob:-hair

cb_13 02-26-2017 09:14 AM

That F350 is a sweet looking ride. Just remember to keep a couple thousand in your emergency fund for repairs just in case. Diesels are stupid expensive to work on.

Green Power 02-26-2017 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ubereal2 (Post 16984263)
Good luck if that's what you want to do, but 258,000 miles would scare the he77 out of me.

Unk Bob:-hair

My original plan was to keep Ruby to 300k, park it, and buy another 5.0 F-150...
If she sells, I will let the new owner know I would be interested in buying her back if they ever got the desire to resell. I am not too concerned about mileage, but more about maintenance... I am guessing they are mostly highway miles.

Originally Posted by cb_13 (Post 16984493)
That F350 is a sweet looking ride. Just remember to keep a couple thousand in your emergency fund for repairs just in case. Diesels are stupid expensive to work on.

If I buy that 6.7, I think I will delete it asap. And then replace the turbo every 100-150k, and the lift pump (I believe) every 200k as a preventative maintenance item. Although if bought, I think I would keep it to 300-350k and then sell and buy something else.

The guy who was gonna look at Ruby today came down with the flu. We will see what happens...

Pgh Rebel 02-26-2017 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cb_13 (Post 16984493)

Ditto for that. From what I've heard about the 6.7 Powerstroke, it's a heck of a motor and will pull dang near anything. But it's got a very complicated emissions system on it that becomes real expensive to maintain. Go into this with both eyes open and with a lot of thought. Turbo failure is a known problem on the earlier 6.7's. I think by 2014 or 2015, Ford had switched to a different style of bearings on the shaft inside the unit. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It is a nice looking truck, regardless.

Green Power 02-27-2017 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel (Post 16985067)
Ditto for that. From what I've heard about the 6.7 Powerstroke, it's a heck of a motor and will pull dang near anything. But it's got a very complicated emissions system on it that becomes real expensive to maintain. Go into this with both eyes open and with a lot of thought. Turbo failure is a known problem on the earlier 6.7's. I think by 2014 or 2015, Ford had switched to a different style of bearings on the shaft inside the unit. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It is a nice looking truck, regardless.

Planning to delete emissions right away. I am under the impressions that a turbos life cycle on these is 100-150k, and the lift pump is about 200k. I will consider those to be more of a normal maintenance item I guess.

Pgh Rebel 03-01-2017 09:47 PM

So did you sell Ruby, or do you still have her?
I think it goes without saying but check local laws before you start deleting any emissions components from a diesel.

Green Power 03-02-2017 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel (Post 16995822)
So did you sell Ruby, or do you still have her?
I think it goes without saying but check local laws before you start deleting any emissions components from a diesel.

Ruby didn't sell, so no 6.7 for me. No emissions garbage on diesels in Western Nebraska :).

Top few things on my mod list for Ruby are:
1. Tint
2. Tune
3. Some sort of mud flap, or the OEM fender flares, can anyone link me to a mudflap that works with the OEM fender flare? (Picture of what I'm looking for below)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d3f221c60.jpeg

Other things I'm gonna do this summer are:
1. New windshield
2. Two new 33's (to replace the duratrac, and I'll have one similar width spare) I am thinking I'll get Cooper Discoverer AT3 but are there any other tires I should consider? I want similar width two my two Mastercraft courser MSR that I'll be keeping. Believe it or not, even though all 4 tires are the same size (LT275/70/R18), the duratrac is a fair bit wider.
3. Get another 18" wheel for my takeoff courser MSR, could anyone educate me if my wheels are 8.5, or 9" wide???

Any other mod ideas I would appreciate.
Thanks for reading, Parker.

Green Power 03-02-2017 01:38 AM

Did some searching, and found out that it is a 7.5" wide wheel, if anyone knows of any single wheels preferably like mine, or else the same size for sale, please let me know. :)