Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   2012 Great Smokey Mtn F100 Run - Pigeon Forge, TN (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1129455-2012-great-smokey-mtn-f100-run-pigeon-forge-tn.html)

mechmagcn 05-20-2012 11:14 AM

Sorry folks, but don't think I'll make this one :) it would be a long drive from AK. I do plan to make the Townsend show in Sept though.

harleymsn 05-20-2012 12:36 PM

I'm still planning to be there, but I will have to see what the Dr says tomorrow about my knee.

Doraville 05-20-2012 04:40 PM

Has anyone been to both the Smokey Mountain Run and the Fall Truck Fest in Townsend? I'm curious to hear how the two compare.

The Supernationals were big and hot. It was so hot that everyone was huddled in their tents and I didn't get a chance to meet as many people as I would have liked.

-DV

harleymsn 05-20-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doraville (Post 11856571)
Has anyone been to both the Smokey Mountain Run and the Fall Truck Fest in Townsend? I'm curious to hear how the two compare.

The Supernationals were big and hot. It was so hot that everyone was huddled in their tents and I didn't get a chance to meet as many people as I would have liked.

-DV

Both shows are much smaller than the Supernationals.
The Smoky Mtn is just down the street and being in June should be even hotter. Like the SN it to is held on a blacktop lot so the huddling under the tents will be the same.
The FFTF is held in September and is about the same size as the Smoky Mtn., however it is held on a large grass area with a fair amount of shade.
Both of these shows also offer cruises through the area which really promotes camaraderie and makes it more personal.

This was my second time at the SN's and I do not plan to return. Of the other two, my personal preference is the Fall Ford Truck Festival mainly because of the grass, shade, lack of Pigeon Forge Traffic and more variety of cruises.

harleymsn 05-20-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eds56Effie (Post 11855591)
Yea, 719 would appear to be a good number..more entrants than last year I would say. It took 5 overview pics to cover the entire complex. We had a blast!! :-X22

Actually last year they had more than 750.

AXracer 05-20-2012 10:11 PM

I am going to be at my niece's graduation from med school and for her wedding durring that show. June is always the busiest month of the year.

EffieFord 05-20-2012 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doraville (Post 11855499)
Since my truck made the 200 mile trek without any issues, I may try to come back for the F100 Run. I've never been to that one; I've heard that it's smaller but more fun. Hopefully, there will be more "drivers" like mine.

The show is a lot smaller and more family friendly with a lot more driver's and people that are not there for the trophies and magazine coverage, but because of their love of Ford trucks and hanging with Ford family.

Originally Posted by Fifty4F100 (Post 11855753)
I've been less than truthful with friends. I thought there would be at least 2000. There were over 1600 entrants in 2003 when I drove my truck to the Supernationals - and that was pre-1979 trucks only. That was an exceptional year, but I thought the new venue and opening up to all Fords would push it way past 719.

Moving the show to Knoxville lost a lot of people, then when Pat Ford sold it to the cooperation and they made it "all Ford" a lot of people didn't like that either.

The F100 Supernationals are nothing like what they used to be. Nothing. I started going in 94 I think....it was a lot different back then. Like most things, progress and popularity have drifted things apart. I bet you won't find but a handful of guys at the Supernats now, that knew what it was like back then. I know I don't even bother putting it on the calendar anymore. It used to be, it was the first thing I wrote on a new calendar and planned for.

Originally Posted by Doraville (Post 11856571)

They're both good shows and I've been to both in one year. If I had the money, I'd do both this year... I just can't afford it. If I had to pick one over the other, it would be the Fall Ford Fest with the True Blue Mag...because of like what Joe said - the shade, grass and being in the fall...and the fact its not on the strip....the area isn't as crowded. I've gotten where if I go out of town on a trip, I want quiet and relaxed.

I go to "shows" to hang out and visit with like minded Ford enthusiasts, not to win something...or show off my truck. Hell, last year the Smokey Mtn show, it was dirty from rain and driving, I didn't even bother trying to clean it up, haha.

carnut122 05-21-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by harleymsn (Post 11856907)
Both shows are much smaller than the Supernationals.
The Smoky Mtn is just down the street and being in June should be even hotter. Like the SN it to is held on a blacktop lot so the huddling under the tents will be the same.
The FFTF is held in September and is about the same size as the Smoky Mtn., however it is held on a large grass area with a fair amount of shade.
Both of these shows also offer cruises through the area which really promotes camaraderie and makes it more personal.

This was my second time at the SN's and I do not plan to return. Of the other two, my personal preference is the Fall Ford Truck Festival mainly because of the grass, shade, lack of Pigeon Forge Traffic and more variety of cruises.

Sorry I missed you at the show, but I saw your truck being used as a stage. I didn't see the Mercury race car either on Saturday. I hate to hear you won't be back, but the Fall Festival sounds like more my style.

harleymsn 05-22-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by carnut122 (Post 11860486)
Sorry I missed you at the show, but I saw your truck being used as a stage. I didn't see the Mercury race car either on Saturday. I hate to hear you won't be back, but the Fall Festival sounds like more my style.

I hauled the Mercury back home Saturday morning, left early enough to be back for the awards.

As for the GSM F100, I went to the DR yesterday, after the exam they sent right over for an MRI (strange, it usually takes a couple weeks to schedule one of those here.) I have to see the DR again Thursday, to schedule the surgery, doesn't look good for me making the Run.

Moe Craig 05-22-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by harleymsn (Post 11862673)
I hauled the Mercury back home Saturday morning, left early enough to be back for the awards.

As for the GSM F100, I went to the DR yesterday, after the exam they sent right over for an MRI (strange, it usually takes a couple weeks to schedule one of those here.) I have to see the DR again Thursday, to schedule the surgery, doesn't look good for me making the Run.

Keep your head up and we'll add you to our preys...

Doraville 05-22-2012 11:50 AM

Yes Joe, we will definitely be praying for you.

ALBUQ F-1 05-22-2012 12:47 PM

Arthroscopic surgery? Been there, done that -- best thing since sliced bread, instant pain relief! Good luck!

harleymsn 05-22-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 11863626)
Arthroscopic surgery? Been there, done that -- best thing since sliced bread, instant pain relief! Good luck!

I'm not sure it will be that simple... but if it is, how long was your recoup from it?

sdetweil 05-22-2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 11863626)

yep, I'm about 8 weeks since knee surgery, and just about 90% back to normal.. kneeling still doesn't work.. but maybe it'll come back too..

Sam

Moe Craig 05-22-2012 01:33 PM

My sister just had orthoscopic on her knee. She was able to go up the stairs in about 5 days afterwards. Doing great on recovery, then she had a set back of having a Baker's Cyst that bursted. That set her back... One thing that she got was a cold water therapy machine that really helped her recovery.