Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   New PCM Recal. 11B23 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047380-new-pcm-recal-11b23.html)

cheezit 03-10-2011 05:34 PM

I drove a truck the other day and the message center was lit up with cleaning filter message.

senix 03-10-2011 06:47 PM

that is good news as that is the only way I would do this update myself. Especially considering mine runs perfect the way it is.

Still thinking I might just pass it up.

jimd1050 03-10-2011 06:57 PM

Timing SUCKS!

I'm really gonna test this new flash - I was 1/2 mile from work this morning and it went into Regen. I have to work - I'm not driving another 14 miles or so because the truck needs a Regen! I left work tonight expecting the thing to go into Regen to re-start the canceled morning Regen. Nothing for the entire 40 mile commute... I put my right directional on to turn into my driveway at 6:00 PM and... Yep, you guessed it, "Cleaning F'n Exhaust Filter"! I stormed up the driveway and shut the S.O.B. OFF!

Let's see what happens in the morning when I remote start it and let it idle for 15 or 20 minutes in the driveway warming up? If I get a Wrench Error or go into Limp Mode, I'm going to drive it through the front window of my Dealership... watch the National News tomorrow night. "Massachusetts Man goes Berzerk at local Ford Dealer!"

That would be me! :-X09

senix 03-10-2011 07:23 PM

Jim,

That is exactly what I would of done! Bet you get the mandatory drive to clean message next...but hopefully it comes on as soon as you hit about 150 deg.

Tom 03-10-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by jimd1050 (Post 10079113)
Let's see what happens in the morning when I remote start it and let it idle for 15 or 20 minutes in the driveway warming up? If I get a Wrench Error or go into Limp Mode, I'm going to drive it through the front window of my Dealership... watch the National News tomorrow night. "Massachusetts Man goes Berzerk at local Ford Dealer!"

That would be me! :-X09

It'd take a lot more than that to plug your DPF.

My truck has a similar DPF system to what's on the 6.4L engine, and I never worry much about it. I've shut it off numerous times just after regen with no issues, it really takes a lot to plug these units as long as everything is running right.

Relax and drive the truck, it'll be fine.

caprang 03-10-2011 08:32 PM

ISnt it bad to shut the engine off when the egt's are real high from a recent regen? I always let mine idle a few minutes to cool down with or without a recent regen.

sdetweil 03-10-2011 09:08 PM

I just drive mine, and ignore the regen. That's why the 'drive to clean exhaust filter' message.

The engineers had to know this stuff would happen, and you can't kill the truck for one stop.

Sam

senix 03-11-2011 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by caprang (Post 10079589)
ISnt it bad to shut the engine off when the egt's are real high from a recent regen? I always let mine idle a few minutes to cool down with or without a recent regen.

By the time I pull in the driveway I am at idle anyway. So I put mine in park and let it run a minute or so to cool down the exhaust a little and make sure all that fuel isn't just sitting in the cylinders.

jimd1050 03-11-2011 06:25 AM

Completed this morning...

Warmed up in the driveway for about 20 minutes this morning - at three miles after leaving the house, it went into Regen. Regen completed at approximately 15 miles - damned, I was so looking forward to being on the NEWS tonight! :-missingt

senix 03-11-2011 06:35 AM

Well when you get that 6-gun it will help to extend those intervals...

Eric326 03-11-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jimd1050 (Post 10080761)
Warmed up in the driveway for about 20 minutes this morning - at three miles after leaving the house, it went into Regen. Regen completed at approximately 15 miles - damned, I was so looking forward to being on the NEWS tonight! :-missingt

Did you "cleaning exhaust" message stay lit the entire time?

jimnv 03-11-2011 04:18 PM

Took my 08 in for a fuel filter replacement just today:-hair:-hair

Service manager said "...and oh by the way, we initiated a recall that was put out last week or so". He explained to me what it did and why. I expect its going to be something the dealership is "mandated" to do whether we wanted it or not.

I'm still at work so I am going to be watching the dash very carefully plus the performance.

Gearitis 03-11-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jimnv (Post 10082672)
Took my 08 in for a fuel filter replacement just today:-hair:-hair

Service manager said "...and oh by the way, we initiated a recall that was put out last week or so". He explained to me what it did and why. I expect its going to be something the dealership is "mandated" to do whether we wanted it or not.

I'm still at work so I am going to be watching the dash very carefully plus the performance.

Yep! Took mine in today for a check on the black pipes (did a 900 mile tow with my 5er and came back with more black than I had ever seen) and the service manager said "that while its in here" we are required to do the "new pcm adjustment". My question was, "what is the positives and negatives"? His answer was that I would get better warning of malfunctions and longer intervals between regens, better notification of regen process. The only downside that he was informed was the time it took to do the flash. My other question was "can we go back to the former pcm revision, that is in case it does not perform as well as it does now. He said it is not a good idea to go back but can be done.
I guess we will see.

senix 03-11-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gearitis (Post 10083259)
Yep! Took mine in today for a check on the black pipes (did a 900 mile tow with my 5er and came back with more black than I had ever seen) and the service manager said "that while its in here" we are required to do the "new pcm adjustment". My question was, "what is the positives and negatives"? His answer was that I would get better warning of malfunctions and longer intervals between regens, better notification of regen process. The only downside that he was informed was the time it took to do the flash. My other question was "can we go back to the former pcm revision, that is in case it does not perform as well as it does now. He said it is not a good idea to go back but can be done.
I guess we will see.

How far apart we your regens?

Gearitis 03-12-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10083272)
How far apart we your regens?

90-100 miles and not more. With regens that close together, still averaged 10.4 mpg. Headwind of 30 coming back, impressed the milage was not worse. Will post back with the results on Tuesday or so.