Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

75Three90 09-28-2010 10:04 PM

well thats good well my 1993 4x4 has to go sadly i just found out me and my wife are expecting another little one in april or may so good by single cab hello ext or crew cab

quickridez 09-28-2010 10:27 PM

Yesterday, I put a new rear window latch on my truck, and as I was trying to put a piece on with the new harware, the damned screws broke... So I had to drill them out, and put in the other two. It was slightly misaligned, bit it still closes tight.

truckerboy 09-28-2010 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by 75Three90 (Post 9380723)
well thats good well my 1993 4x4 has to go sadly i just found out me and my wife are expecting another little one in april or may so good by single cab hello ext or crew cab

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you find a truck that suits you.

And congratulations on the addition there.:-X22

LCAM-01XA 09-29-2010 12:38 AM

75Three90, you want a crew cab, preferably a dually and 4x4. Oh yah, and a diesel, forget them gasser jobbies :p

LCAM-01XA 09-29-2010 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by quickridez (Post 9371199)
Yar, it's a 4x4, though the front hubs have to replaced according to the P.O., If you check out my profile, I have a few more pix of it, and a few of the things I've done to it so far. Thanks for takin notice!:D

Almost forgot about this - I checked out the pics as suggested, the captions were quite amusing actually :) I do fl your pain tho, I get to work on lotsa farm trucks comes summertime and I see some things that really make me concerned about the future of humanity if them folks are to keep procreating... lol

So is thata D60 monobeam acle you gout in the front? Cause in some of the pics it sure looks like D50 TTB, which is not what belongs under a 4x4 F350 of that model year. Also your rear axle is not a D60, not sure if those ever came in a dually configuration to be gin with, but the factory axle for your truck is the same Strerling that lives under my dually as well. If by any chance you do indeed have a Dana rear axle, it would be a D70 from an early-'80s truck, which many actually prefer to the Sterling due to it not having the idiotic crush-sleeve that's known to kill Sterling pinions and yokes if truck's worked too hard...

But that truck does look pretty darn badass, just need a nice full front bumper for tenderizing venison, and some big-power offroad lights on said bumper, and you'll be all set :D

quickridez 09-29-2010 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA (Post 9381119)
Almost forgot about this - I checked out the pics as suggested, the captions were quite amusing actually :) I do fl your pain tho, I get to work on lotsa farm trucks comes summertime and I see some things that really make me concerned about the future of humanity if them folks are to keep procreating... lol

So is thata D60 monobeam acle you gout in the front? Cause in some of the pics it sure looks like D50 TTB, which is not what belongs under a 4x4 F350 of that model year. Also your rear axle is not a D60, not sure if those ever came in a dually configuration to be gin with, but the factory axle for your truck is the same Strerling that lives under my dually as well. If by any chance you do indeed have a Dana rear axle, it would be a D70 from an early-'80s truck, which many actually prefer to the Sterling due to it not having the idiotic crush-sleeve that's known to kill Sterling pinions and yokes if truck's worked too hard...

But that truck does look pretty darn badass, just need a nice full front bumper for tenderizing venison, and some big-power offroad lights on said bumper, and you'll be all set :D

I have no idea about the axles, yet. I haven't gotten under it to do much yet except the wiring (which kept me from lookin at the axle while I was under it, except to cuss it for being so low I had to suck in my gut as I went under it on my creeper). I'll be getting to designing a front bumper soon, it should look like a pissed off bulldog when I'm done building the front bumper, if it comes out right!

Snowseeker 09-29-2010 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 75Three90 (Post 9380723)

Part of the reason I had to sell my minty 96 F250. :'(

I was also looking at extended cab and 4 door trucks to replace it with. I ended up with a 03 excursion with a 7.3 diesel. I love my X! So happy with it! Plenty of room for the kids and dog all the gear and enough power to pull the camper and boat! :-X14

Redcat Diesel 09-29-2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA (Post 9381119)
Also your rear axle is not a D60, not sure if those ever came in a dually configuration to be gin with

I've never seen or heard of a dual wheel D60 unless it was converted with an aftermarket kit. While D60's are very strong the axle tubes are kinda puny compared to a D70 or Sterling.

quickridez 09-29-2010 10:29 PM

Alright, since I have no idea what kind of axle is under my truck, and for the moment don't care, since I can't afford all the seals I need for it. I will say that I checked and filled my rear diff today, installed a new license plate light, and filled my clutch master reservior... again. Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to buy a new clutch master, and install it, but I have a feeling it won't be in the cards for me. So, that's why I'll just keep a bottle of DOT 3 under the hood.

truckerboy 09-29-2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel (Post 9384205)
I've never seen or heard of a dual wheel D60 unless it was converted with an aftermarket kit. While D60's are very strong the axle tubes are kinda puny compared to a D70 or Sterling.

Is the sterling able to run dual if it was single from the factory??

and I am 100% sure that the D60 was never a dual setup. They just dont have the lateral stability to handle the extra 2 wheels.

LCAM-01XA 09-29-2010 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel (Post 9384205)
While D60's are very strong the axle tubes are kinda puny compared to a D70 or Sterling.

Axle shafts too - I ran a welded diff in my Sterling-equipped dually and she held up just fine, this is mostly pavement driving too :D

Originally Posted by quickridez (Post 9384714)
Alright, since I have no idea what kind of axle is under my truck, and for the moment don't care, since I can't afford all the seals I need for it.

Leaky rear seals, on the inside of the hubs? That's a typical Sterling issue, not so common with the Dana axles. Them seals are pricey, but if you get the improved design with the double sealing lip they should last nearly forever. Unfortunately I do not recall which exactly are those improved seals... In any case, if you wanna identify your axles real quick and easy, take a look here:
Axle Identification Chart

Originally Posted by truckerboy (Post 9384716)
Is the sterling able to run dual if it was single from the factory??

Yes and no - the full-float SRW axle have studs and hubs long enough to accommodate two dually wheels, but where you'll run into an issue are the spring packs - basically the inner dually wheel will hit the spring packs from the side, and will not turn. IIRC they don't need much to clear, only like an inch or so, but that puts you in the aftermarket spacers area... This only applies to trucks that left the factory with pickup beds, if the truck is a cab-chassis setup (no bed from the factory, frame rails from the cab back are all straight with flat tops) then you can directly bolt up the dually wheels to its SRW axle as the frames on those trucks are narrower so there is ample space between the wheel and the spring pack.

truckerboy 09-30-2010 12:09 AM

so a strait pickup will not be able to w/o a spacer between the axle and inside wheel??
I think thats what i got from your post. Idk, kinda late and my brain is left for storage at school weekdays. lol.

Are there any other differences between the DRW and SRW axles? like the stability bar, and brakes??

Big-old-460 09-30-2010 03:02 AM

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Rebuilding engine, is wat i am doing everyday for the next few weeks,
New thread made Pics in Post !!!!
turning my 460 in to a 527 stroker with a vortex super charger. etc
posting more pics daily

75Three90 09-30-2010 12:25 PM

yeah i know i want a diesel i found a 1985 ext cab 4x4 6.9 liter with a banks turbo he wants 1500 for he wants somthing 4x4 and cheaper to work on i told him my truck is the way to go lol but we'll see today or tomarrow and i also found a 1990 ext cab lwb with a 351 he told me he would tade me that truck, a 1965 falcon and a 1986 750 honda shadow for my truck im heavily considering it

skyfox10 09-30-2010 12:58 PM

My truck had been a little weak this last week. I thought maybe I had a new vacuum leak or something, but hadn't really thought about it.

Well, on my way back from lunch, I push the pedal down as I'm leaving a corner and all at once the truck looses ALL power. I coast to the side of the road and push the pedal a few times, no change in rpm's at all, but I did get a little smoke.

Naturally I shut the truck off and pop the hood. To my dismay, I see the leftovers from me weekend cleaning. A plastic grocery bag still around my air filter. :-banghead:-banghead:-banghead

The bag had been impeding air flow, but that WOT run finally collapsed the air filter entirely. Needless to say, the truck runs fine now with the bag off. Looks like I'll have to buy another one. So stupid.