Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Gary Lewis 02-02-2011 11:23 AM

Glad to hear you came through! You have been in our prayers - literally. Not sure, though, that you got our storm as ours is still going strong - but not as strong as yours.

Some say this proves there is no global warming, but others say it proves there is. Wish we had some of it here as our high today is to be 12 and the low will be -6.

Anyway, glad you made it, Jim.

Rogue_Wulff 02-02-2011 11:55 AM

Hey Gary, you get dug out from the 17" of global warming yet? We "only" got ~15" down here...
At least they run a snowplow down my side street, so it I can bust thru the 2 foot berm, I might be able to go somewhere. Chances are, busting thru the berm will entail having enough momentum to carry me 1/2 thru the 2 foot berm on the other side of the road, where I'll be stuck for days........

I'm beginning to think the science teachers from school, when they taught us we were heading towards another ice age, were correct while the current crop are full of BS.
2 blizzards in the last ~100 years, and derned if they weren't just over a year apart. 12-2009 and 2-2011.

Gary Lewis 02-02-2011 12:20 PM

Yes & no, RW. I dug this morn until I couldn't feel my fingers due to the 0 degree temp and brisk wind. Looks like my AWD SUV can make it through the 2' drift at the street - unless they plow, which will put all that in a big pile.

I'm lucky as my neighbor's driveway is roughly across from mine and I can get a run at it. On the other hand, we have brick columns either side of our driveways, so I hope I go straight.

Having said that, I don't need to go anywhere! Got to the shop, so I'm happy! (Wish I could inc the pic I took of the sidewalk 'tween house and shop.) Packing bearings and installing brakes today. Looks like I needn't hurry.

glovemeister 02-02-2011 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 9912387)
Hey Gary, you get dug out from the 17" of global warming yet? We "only" got ~15" down here...
At least they run a snowplow down my side street, so it I can bust thru the 2 foot berm, I might be able to go somewhere. Chances are, busting thru the berm will entail having enough momentum to carry me 1/2 thru the 2 foot berm on the other side of the road, where I'll be stuck for days........

I'm beginning to think the science teachers from school, when they taught us we were heading towards another ice age, were correct while the current crop are full of BS.
2 blizzards in the last ~100 years, and derned if they weren't just over a year apart. 12-2009 and 2-2011.

Thats really the whole purpose of the global warming business is that its cyclic. Global ice ages are a result. What is weird is this winner has been damn mild in my hometown, like snow a handful of times. When I was little it would last damn near all winter.

Anafiel 02-02-2011 03:57 PM

Well, while you all were digging and swimming, I did a fluid and filter replacement on my tranny.

Not as exciting as your day, but still.... :-drink

Rogue_Wulff 02-02-2011 04:29 PM

Heck, I managed to sweep the snow off the old truck, get it out of the backyard, up the alley, to the street, under it's own power. Might only have 2wd, but those BFG AT's dig pretty good thru 15" deep snow. I had a backup plan, though. A buddy made a couple trips thru the alley with his 4wd, and could have helped get my truck out, if need be. However, he was busy dragging the ex wife's jeep back out of my driveway/yard. She attempted to turn into my freshly shoveled driveway, and missed..... Needless to say, she misses the old truck, since her 2wd jeep is nearly worthless in this crap.
The old truck is now sitting in my shoveled driveway, ready to go again, if need be. Done went to put some fuel in it. Roads around here are passable, but barely. Plowed, but no sand or salt has been laid down.

00Boss 02-03-2011 07:00 PM

Snow....................... I miss it

JimNQ 02-03-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by fordsgofaster (Post 9912255)
You buggers shipped it down here, damn glad to have come out the other side of that. felt & sounded like a 3hr earth quake. Can't see anything outside yet (its 3am) but we already know the chook sheds are gone, stock feed sheds gone & if that damn lean to on the side of the car port keeps banging much longer I think it'll be the neighbors by daylight.

Sorry about that! Where are you? Hope you came through OK - there is some terrible damage in the area that the storm really hit. We're OK up here in Cairns. Lots of trees down and the power is still not back on. I have to repair my back fence as one of the posts snapped but that's the only damage I got.

Jim

6fifty_f1fifty 02-04-2011 12:33 AM

Re-installed an EGR system on the 300/6 that the po had removed, seems to run better, before I couldn't run with the vac advance hooked up.

I swear every nut and bolt on this s#it had to fight me every step of the way. Thankfully the auto hobby shop on base has some decent tools (at least a good impact wrench) mine doesn't do a dang thing for me (freebie from craftsman when I bought the compressor.)

Rogue_Wulff 02-04-2011 01:55 PM

Blizzard log, day 4: (AKA Global Warming at it's best)
Had to make a trip to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. It's just something I take to help keep MS from cramping my legs so badly that I can barely stand, much less walk, so I kinda needed it.
Get in the F150, start it up and brush the 2" of fresh snow off (still falling even now). Once the engine is partly warmed up, I turn on the blower to send warm air to the windshield, and turn on the wipers. Windshield 1/2 clear, as the passenger wiper blade is toast. Parts store is 1 block from pharmacy, good time to get replacement wiper blades or refills. Turn wipers down to lowest setting on the newly installed intermittant switch. 3rd pass, only the passenger arm moves.....
Get out to see if the DS arm has come off the pivot again. No such luck, pivot moves freely with the arm. Crap. Move it out of the way to get the other truck out, and get stuck in the alley. Left it there.
Get Nissan truck warmed up without incident, and windows all brushed off. Proceed to pharmacy, and when turning into the parking lot, the wipers stop at fully raised position. Thinking posible fuse issue, I proceed to park. Get out, and wiggle the wipers, both move freely in an otherwise normal manner, and can hear the motor running. Crap.
Get inside the pharmacy, wait my turn, ask for refill, and wait the required 30-45 minutes for them to process the request. Meanwhile, go out and tinker with wipers. The cowl is held on by phillips head screws, so I hunt for the correct tool, no luck. Give up, go back inside to finish waiting. Finally get called for pickup, and they only have 1/3 the number of pills needed. Take them, and start back towards home. Every couple blocks, stop. open door. grab wiper arm and make a couple passes to clear away the rapidly falling snow. Made it home without further incident.
Sum total, 2 vehicles with busted wiper linkage, and one stuck in the alley, just to get 1/3 of a precription that keeps me able to actually use my legs for something other than dead weight.

How was your day?

Rogue_Wulff 02-04-2011 03:14 PM

Update:
Took wiper arms and cowl panel off the Nissan. The linkage popped off the wiper motor. Got that one temporarily back together. Come warmer weather, will have to take it back apart and create something to eliminate the snow/sleet from getting in, causing a severe ice jam around the wiper linkage.
Haven't messed with the ford, yet. Snow seems to be letting up, for now.......

Anafiel 02-04-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff (Post 9922818)

How was your day?

Obviously less eventful than yours, but I've had days like that.

Sometimes it's best to get back in bed, and curl up to a good book.

Gary Lewis 02-04-2011 04:33 PM

Gee RW, sorry to hear about all the prob's - esp MS. But glad to hear you can get around with med's. As for the wipers, when it snows it pours. Good it seems to be tapering off, but may come back again Sunday and Tues/Wed. Would that be Day 30, or does it just seem that way?

As for my truck, I got the brakes back together thanks to lots of help from the forum on anti-rattle clips and "ear spacing". (Go read the thread, but it doesn't refer to hat size.) And, I got the emergency brake fixed. Had to take the mechanism out, but found the ratchet pawl was stuck. Lots of lube and working it back and forth got things working smoothly.

Also, I got the brakes bled. I use a Mityvac and suck the fluid through - supposedly until I get fluid w/no air bubbles. But, there's a bit of small print in the Mityvac manual that says you may get air past the threads of the bleeder screw, and I'm certain I do. So, today I tried plumber's paste which has teflon in it on the threads hoping to prevent air leaks. Only worked on 1 of 4 wheels. Anyone have a better way?

Rogue_Wulff 02-04-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 9923494)
Anyone have a better way?

Open bleeder, wait a while. Gravity will bleed brakes quite good, given enough time. With all this snow, you've got plenty of time on your hands.....
Just don't forget to keep an eye on the MC. Leaving the cap off actually helps the gravity bleed method work better anyways.....

Gary Lewis 02-04-2011 04:54 PM

Tnx. May try that tomorrow. You are right about having plenty of time.