Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   what offset and backspacing is required for 02 f250 superduty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/988483-what-offset-and-backspacing-is-required-for-02-f250-superduty.html)

Ktinos 03-09-2011 11:44 PM

It looks like you all have a preference to springs. If I put Icon Springs in the front will it affect the truck by having custom springs in the back from a spring place. They are only a few months old and I paid dearly for them. What other things do I need? 4" Drop Pitman Arm, dual stabilizer bar, front dual Shock hoop or I can wait. Can you put them in order of importance? Does it show I am a newbiehttp://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...cons/icon5.gif

cartmanea 03-09-2011 11:56 PM

The Icon kit comes with the pitman arm and trac bar bracket, and everything else you need.

Ktinos 03-09-2011 11:57 PM

The reason its 4" from the ground to the arch of the fender and 2" from the axle to the arch of the fender is the first is almost a diameter and the second is the radius. So probably from the ground? Thats my gut feeling.

Your winch bumper looks awesome.

cartmanea 03-10-2011 12:03 AM

No, the difference is ground to axle, which is the same front to back. More likely a measurement mistake was made. Thanks on the bumper, but it's trashed now :(

cmullins 03-10-2011 09:43 AM

I always measured from the ground. On the "stuff", if you are going to lift the pitman and track bar bracket are required unless you get an adjustable track bar, as well as longer shocks and hardware to extend the sway bar links. The ProComp has a bracket that allows you to flip the sway bar mount from the top of the frame to the bottom to extend the links downward. Dual shocks and dual steering stablized can be added later.

Lots of guys like the shackles and they work just fine, I just prefer to spring unless you are going way big or are off roading in such a way that the shackle will help with articulation. (whole other discussion) Be advised though that the ProComp springs do not ride like "butter", although I would say that it is better than stock in some ways but very much the same for the most part.

Ktinos 03-11-2011 10:10 AM

Guys thanks for the help and advice you have given me.

Finally I decided to lift the front of the truck 3" to even the truck with the back. I ordered the ICON- Hanger System. The package includes hanger, shackles and 1" bump stop spacers. I am replacing the front shocks with extended ICON shocks. The rear ones were replaced a few months ago when I added a leaf on the back.

The store I ordered the lift told me because I am only lifting the front 3" I don't need the drop pitman, track bar bracket, extend the sway bar links. Dual steering stabilizer its a flip of a coin because of the 35" tires.

Is this truehttp://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...cons/icon5.gif

cartmanea 03-11-2011 10:26 AM

Mostly true. I have 4" and 35s with the stock steering stabilizer and it does great. I also still have the stock sway bar links and haven't had any problems. After you get the kit installed, you may decide to add an adjustable trac bar (Icon has one) since moving the axle down a few inches will offset it to the side one way, probably just 1/4" or so though. And correct, with 3" you don't need to worry about the pitman arm and trac bar bracket.

traildogg 03-12-2011 01:07 AM

What kind of fuel mileage hit did you recieve either by levelling the front 2-3" or by going with a 4'' suspension lift (leaf springs) i dont mind the mpg with 34'' tires i upgraded to just wondering what kind of difference will i notice at the pump.

cartmanea 03-12-2011 01:24 AM

I lifted mine when I originally rebuilt it, so I don't have any before MPG numbers. However, my dad has a stock '03 F350 6.0L that gets 19-20 mpg highway and mine with 4" lift, 35" tires, and 4.30 gears gets 16-17 mpg highway.

Ktinos 03-12-2011 10:49 AM

I believe that it can't be much of a difference between 3" and 4" lift in MPG. The cost difference can't be much, unless you are driving hundreds of miles per week. IMO you should be asking yourself, am I willing to spend the extra money for the hight difference and will I be happier with the higher lift. Finally, you should consider the practicallity of the hight. For me I couldn't go to 4 1/2" because I have side tool boxes on my truck and I would not be able to use them as well.

Wet-N-Wild Customs 04-04-2011 01:14 PM

Hello, I don't want to hijack your topic but I really need some help and thought someone on this topic might be able to help me.

I have a 2000 F250 with a 8"'lift and I just bought a set of 18" Incubus Recoil rims for it and need to figure out what size spacers I will need to use with the rim offset (I think it is 5 1/4 from the hub to the back lip of the rim. Here is the link for more info: 18x8.5 Chrome Incubus Recoil Wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18 Tires

I will be running Toyo MT's on the rims 37x12.50x18 or 37x13.50x18

Please help me out. I don't want to have to spend tons of money trying different size spacers when all I needed to do is ask. Thanks

cartmanea 04-05-2011 02:12 AM

If you do run spacers, and I do not advise it, use the steel spacers. Those wheels have way too much backspace for a pre-'05 truck with that size of tires, so you'll need the full 2" the better steel spacers supply, and it still probably won't be enough. I would return those wheels and get some with -25mm offset, which would be 4.5" backspace on a 10" wide wheel.

Wet-N-Wild Customs 04-05-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cartmanea (Post 10182140)
If you do run spacers, and I do not advise it, use the steel spacers. Those wheels have way too much backspace for a pre-'05 truck with that size of tires, so you'll need the full 2" the better steel spacers supply, and it still probably won't be enough. I would return those wheels and get some with -25mm offset, which would be 4.5" backspace on a 10" wide wheel.

Well if it isn't safe I guess I won't install them on my truck. So they will fit an 05 and above better?

cartmanea 04-05-2011 08:45 AM

Yeah, '05+ trucks use wheels with about +40mm offset stock, whereas the earlier trucks were +6mm stock, about 1.5" difference.

Wet-N-Wild Customs 04-05-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cartmanea (Post 10182864)
Yeah, '05+ trucks use wheels with about +40mm offset stock, whereas the earlier trucks were +6mm stock, about 1.5" difference.

Wow!! Well thanks for the info. Well I guess someone is going to come up on a nice set of rims and tires because I'm going to get rid of them cheap to get them out of my garage. Thanks again