Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/)
-   -   Tired of the 300 bashing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/811735-tired-of-the-300-bashing.html)

hacking_in2002 01-18-2009 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Col Flashman (Post 7022797)
That where you are incorrect.
As I've stated before here, find the issue of Custom Classic Trucks, I believe it';s the AUG. 02 issue, that has the Article "THE JOY OF SIX".
They took it to CLIFFORD's & had them build a 500HP 300 I-6 that is a Sweet Sleeper.
Father used to build by hand in the early '70s, 300 I6's that consistently turned out 500-600HP for his Drag Racing friends.
So stating they can't be made to run, is showing that some have Never done the reserch & or actually done the work to "Make Six In a Row,Go"!

Somehow I've managed to miss this article :-banghead........Seeing as how I love seeing what some folks do to these old 300's......guess I'm off to find myself a copy!!:-jammin

Freaksh0w 01-18-2009 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by flipklos (Post 7015997)
There are some people in this I-6 forum who seem to see no purpose in giving any significant advice to people asking ligit, stupid, or just sharing some amusing news in regards to their love of the I-6.

They seem only intrested in professing the virtue of the SB chevy, the BB chevy and tear down the 300 owners with our aspirations of greatness.

One of my threads professing reasonable milage out of a slightly built 300, Turned into nothing more than an advocacy hearing on the new gen IV SB chevy.

The same thing happend to Oregon f150's question on how to beat a 350.

You love theese engines so much go join a site dedicated to them if not Please stop dissing on the poor guys who actualy enjoy the engine, ford, and wahtever they want to ask you.............awnser the question reasonably.

Please take the I love chevy stuff and leave. A 16 yearold with a $900 pickup wants help. Not an argument.

A proud sixer.

I've never bashed it in here. Only stood up for the 302 in here. I never said 302 is "better", only said that it has more torque down low that the 'guesstimates' people were giving before we got some dyno charts up.

300 = a long living, lugging, hard towing machine.

The 302 can still pull that same load... just in the higher RPM.

BTW, if you haven't noticed... the 302 is the worst bashed truck engine here. Mine runes like a top. I don't understand the bashing on the 302 in the 300 forums.

9.ford.5 01-18-2009 11:39 PM

im a sixer and i wouldnt trade my 300 for anything but as far as im concerned its all one big stupid useless argument...yes a 300 can be built to no limit but its expensive especially on the efi's...you want to beat a 350? go build it up beat his ass then let him do 2 mods to his and guess where you are...300s and 302s have comparable torque and both are good engines but as far as towing goes the 300 does it better in the low range 302 does it better in the high range...they both get the job done

if youre truck does what you want it to do better than the other guys truck does what you want it too then yours is better...its all opinion...to each his own

but back on topic the people who come into the 300 I6 forums and reply with "get a v8" should really disappear...its a 300 forum for 300 nuts we dont care that you got 2 more cyls. we want our 6bangers thats like us goin onto a v8 forum and sayin "get a I6" dont hear that too often if someone asks for advice FOR his/her I6 they want advice for what they can do to their I6 not what they can do to a v8...once they swap that in of course

ok end of rant :)

6CylBill 01-19-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 9.ford.5 (Post 7027451)
im a sixer and i wouldnt trade my 300 for anything but as far as im concerned its all one big stupid useless argument...yes a 300 can be built to no limit but its expensive especially on the efi's...you want to beat a 350? go build it up beat his ass then let him do 2 mods to his and guess where you are...300s and 302s have comparable torque and both are good engines but as far as towing goes the 300 does it better in the low range 302 does it better in the high range...they both get the job done

if youre truck does what you want it to do better than the other guys truck does what you want it too then yours is better...its all opinion...to each his own

but back on topic the people who come into the 300 I6 forums and reply with "get a v8" should really disappear...its a 300 forum for 300 nuts we dont care that you got 2 more cyls. we want our 6bangers thats like us goin onto a v8 forum and sayin "get a I6" dont hear that too often if someone asks for advice FOR his/her I6 they want advice for what they can do to their I6 not what they can do to a v8...once they swap that in of course

You get repped for this, my friend.

Col Flashman 01-19-2009 12:41 PM

Major kudos, mate, but you've made a tick of a mistake.:-huh

This is the Ford Inline Six Forum, which covers the 215/223/262, the 144/170 Special/200/250 & the 240/300 Families of Inline 6's. :-headbangOo.:-jammin
Not just the 300 I6.:-drink

big_ford_rednek 01-19-2009 06:49 PM

very well said

Alvin in AZ 01-19-2009 11:51 PM

Funny a thread with this title here. :)
Especially since the 300 I6 is so highly thought of and all.

Check out the 351M/400 forum, they are too busy talking about getting
them to run right, there's no time to be bashing 'em. ;)

Only 300 I ever drove was a 72' F250 company truck 4 speed, rather large
16.5 tires for a company truck (otherwise bone stock) it was really cool. :)

One of the 5 Firestone tires that came with it, blew out in late '72.
My first ever blow out at freeway speeds, I was 19 and it scared the crap
outta me, the truck just never smelled the same after that. ;) That was the
first, another guy had another and then Gelco Leasing bought new tires to
replace the rest. Firestone has always had a bad reputation.

That lightweight sucker would roll over sand other pickups would get stuck
in. :) I almost ordered a 300 I6 in my pickup that I special ordered in late
Nov '74. My father in law talked me out of it.

Alvin in AZ F150 360FE T18

6CylBill 01-20-2009 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Alvin in AZ (Post 7031988)
Funny a thread with this title here. :)
Especially since the 300 I6 is so highly thought of and all.

Check out the 351M/400 forum, they are too busy talking about getting
them to run right, there's no time to be bashing 'em. ;)

Only 300 I ever drove was a 72' F250 company truck 4 speed, rather large
16.5 tires for a company truck (otherwise bone stock) it was really cool. :)

One of the 5 Firestone tires that came with it, blew out in late '72.
My first ever blow out at freeway speeds, I was 19 and it scared the crap
outta me, the truck just never smelled the same after that. ;) That was the
first, another guy had another and then Gelco Leasing bought new tires to
replace the rest. Firestone has always had a bad reputation.

That lightweight sucker would roll over sand other pickups would get stuck
in. :) I almost ordered a 300 I6 in my pickup that I special ordered in late
Nov '74. My father in law talked me out of it.

Alvin in AZ F150 360FE T18

What do tires have to do with anything? If you were merely telling a story, I did enjoy it!

So what motor DID you get instead of the 300? And just out of curiosity, why did your FIL talk you out of it?

Alvin in AZ 01-20-2009 10:44 AM

6CylBill wrote:
>What do tires have to do with anything?

The large tires plus the light weight 300 and the low end grunt of the
300 made it roll over the sand nice. :)

When I think about that pickup the blow out comes to mind.
Firestones were already a tire that the old guys bad mouthed.
When the "Explorer thing" came along, it was "so what else is new? :/".

>If you were merely telling a story, I did enjoy it!

Thanks. :)
Since I basically have no real information, a story's all I got. ;)

>So what motor DID you get instead of the 300?

360FE sort of a cheap version of a 361FT.
'75 F150 T18 Traction Loc, two gas tanks, A/C but no radio ;)

>...why did your FIL talk you out of it?

He was a "no such thing as too much" kinda guy, he had a '74 Super
Camper Special with a 460.

Alvin in AZ

6CylBill 01-20-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Alvin in AZ (Post 7033175)
6CylBill wrote:
>What do tires have to do with anything?

The large tires plus the light weight 300 and the low end grunt of the 300
made it roll over the sand nice. :)

>If you were merely telling a story, I did enjoy it!

Thanks. :)
Since I basically have no real information, a story's all I got. ;)

>So what motor DID you get instead of the 300?

360FE sort of a cheap version of a 361FT.

>...why did your FIL talk you out of it?

He was a "no such thing as too much" kinda guy, he had a '74 Super Camper
Special with a 460.

Alvin in AZ

Ah! I understand now. Shoot, back then I would have gone Big Block too. The price of fuel didn't cost you your first born son.
One thing that goes to the 300's favor is it's realiability. It's pretty tough. Sometimes people choose between raw power and realiability.

I'd love to have a 460 in my truck. *drool*

9.ford.5 01-20-2009 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Col Flashman (Post 7029029)
Major kudos, mate, but you've made a tick of a mistake.:-huh

This is the Ford Inline Six Forum, which covers the 215/223/262, the 144/170 Special/200/250 & the 240/300 Families of Inline 6's. :-headbangOo.:-jammin
Not just the 300 I6.:-drink

my bad EDIT***

but back on topic the people who come into the INLINE forums and reply with "get a v8" should really disappear...its an INLINE forum for INLINE freaks we dont care that you got 2 more cyls. we want our 6bangers thats like us goin onto a v8 forum and sayin "get a I6" dont hear that too often if someone asks for advice FOR his/her I6 they want advice for what they can do to their I6 not what they can do to a v8...once they swap that in of course

and thank ya fer yer kind words :-drink

Pkupman82 01-20-2009 02:54 PM

Go ahead and laugh at me... some day I'm gonna build a T-Bucket with a heavily modded 300 I6! That's what I call different! To be totally honest with everyone, both of my 300s are the only engines I have NOT had problems with. I have never won a race with either of them, nor have I been the first truck to the top of the hill with a heavy load on the back. But when I get behind the wheel of either of these two trucks (my 84 or 96 F150) I have no worries about breaking down or not having enough power to get the job done. If you ask any GOOD engine builder you will find that regardless of what their brand preferance is they will say the 300 is indeed a tough, long living reliable workhorse, and they make decent power in stock trim. I am not taking anything away from any of the other engines build by Ford, Chrysler, GM, ETC. They all have their place, when it comes to heavy snow plowing... I wouldn't trade my 6.9 diesel IDI for anything else! I'll always be a fan of the 300s, they have been good to me.

1979 Ford 01-20-2009 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pkupman82 (Post 7034115)
Go ahead and laugh at me... some day I'm gonna build a T-Bucket with a heavily modded 300 I6! That's what I call different! To be totally honest with everyone, both of my 300s are the only engines I have NOT had problems with. I have never won a race with either of them, nor have I been the first truck to the top of the hill with a heavy load on the back. But when I get behind the wheel of either of these two trucks (my 84 or 96 F150) I have no worries about breaking down or not having enough power to get the job done. If you ask any GOOD engine builder you will find that regardless of what their brand preferance is they will say the 300 is indeed a tough, long living reliable workhorse, and they make decent power in stock trim. I am not taking anything away from any of the other engines build by Ford, Chrysler, GM, ETC. They all have their place, when it comes to heavy snow plowing... I wouldn't trade my 6.9 diesel IDI for anything else! I'll always be a fan of the 300s, they have been good to me.

I have toyed with the idea of a 300 in a Rat Rod. And if I was to ever to do a old chevrolet pickup ie 5 window I have toyed with the idea of a 4.2 GM inline.

The other engines I have maintained that mentality of the other engines, have had vehicles with other engines and you are correct.

5.0Torx 01-20-2009 07:28 PM

Its a two way street. I think alot of you guys perceive "300 bashing" as simply stating the facts and putting the over-hype in its place.

I see a TON of guys around here that are extremely happy with their 300s. But theres alot of unprovoked engine bashing from the 300 guys as well. I dont step in when i read about a guy saying he's for 400k faithful miles from his 300. When I read a story like that, i am proud. I step in when, for no reason whatsoever, he runs his mouth off about a different engine, be it from Ford or otherwise.

Also, there is way too much butt-dyno, desktop dyno, and guesses on this forum. Take the ever-popular 300 vs 302 argument. There was a thread a while ago wherein i posted actual dyno graphs from my 5.0 HO Mustang and Silver Streaks efi 300 truck. Up until the time i posted this, there were plenty of guys with the perception that the 302 drives like some 8000 rpm, super peaky turbo 4 banger. After posting some real facts, the replies were more constructive, real-world, and positive.

Lastly, I'd like to say that i think the biggest reason for there being so much guesstimations and approximations in all of this is that the 300 is one of the, if not THE cheapest truck engine available. This is a great thing, but you trade in not only stock power, but power potential. Col Flashman says 500-600 hp for an all-out race car. Ive never heard of anyone claim a 300 capable of more than that. And in todays world, that aint that much.

Additionally, because of the 300s price, I think alot of people here would not run off to a dyno if they came across an expendable $60. Its not a priority in their lives, which is why theres so few people who have dyno'd their 300s. When hard facts arent available, one must go to the next best thing. Thats why theres so many statements like "well all i know is when you put a 4 barrel carb, offy intake, and efi exh. manifolds on a 300, you can beat a 302/350/351 easy". Statements like that benefit nobody, so i usually step in and lay down some facts and usually get flamed for it because i usually stand by the V8s. Im a V8 Zombie to some. And if going by the facts, rather than what some dude on the internet said he saw one time, makes me one, then so be it. But ive never based the 300 or stepped on anyones toes for liking theirs.

F-250 restorer 01-20-2009 09:16 PM

Toss the hog v8

Regarding the v8 verses the I6: After doing research for about 3 months about how to increase mpg in my F-250 with a 390, I decided to go with an inline. With some mild machine work, the help of some great guys on this forumn, and some after market goodies, I should have about 260-270 hp. The stock 390 is 260 hp. Not only that, but I am looking to get 50% better mpg.

I have the hp in reserve, plenty of room under the hood, pretty good mpg, and enough torque to pull a baja fishing/camping vacation and my boat over mountains and desert, 18 hours into Baja.

Out with the hog 390, and in with lean torque and economy.