Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Loud Noise @ Idle, Sounds Like Injectors? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/759324-loud-noise-idle-sounds-like-injectors.html)

John311t 07-22-2008 08:58 PM

Good job getting it figured out. Im still in the dark. I made a new post on the noise.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-included.html

flcracker9 07-22-2008 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by danskool (Post 6375258)
I am floored by the HPOP replacement. $701. They couldn't fix the leak? I almost fell out of my chair at your total bill. Wowoa. Glad to hear they found the POSITIVE problem. (flexplate) Kwik Nailed a homer on his first swing.
90 Shop rate. 7 hours to replace the flex plate? I think it should be half that. 4 hour job for an equipped shop. My TC replacement was $650. included TC. Pump bushing and seal, Filter,oil. I dropped it off at 8am and picked it up after lunch 1 or 2pm.
They wanted it back after 200 miles to check to make sure things were ok (a 20min check up) Everything was great and has been great.

Unfortunately for me, they started diagnosing the problem on Monday @ 10:00am. They called me at noon, and said they thought it was the flexplate, but couldn't see a break with the inspection cover off. They said the only thing they could do at that point was to pull the tranny, to see if the flexplate was broken at the crank, and needed my authorization to do so. I'm sure being a 4X4, with 8" lift and 37" tires makes it a little tougher, but they didn't get the tranny out and the flexplate off until 10:00am Today (they start at 9am). Now they have to do the reverse. I'm fairly mechanically inclined (except for diesels, you can check out my gallery, I build my own trucks, buggies, engines, paint and body) and I don't think the 10 1/2 hours (@ $60 per hour shop rate) to diagnose the problem, remove the driveshafts, transmission and transfer case, and put it all back together is way out of line, but at this point, I don't have a choice. I priced HPOPs online, and the cheapest I could find was a no-name rebuilt unit for $550 + shipping + $150 core, so the $701 from the dealer is in the ballpark?. I did check the HPOP out on my own a few months ago, and I replaced the o-rings and re-installed the plug with a new o-ring, and the thread locker that was supplied, but the pump still leaked. I took it to the shop, and they say the pump is cracked?. It is what it is, and I already put a fuel pump in it 2 months ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the next 100,000 miles will be trouble free?

Kwikkordead 07-22-2008 09:33 PM

Glad you got it fixed. :)

stg1ctg 09-11-2009 02:56 PM

Mine's been doing this for about 5 years now.

Originally Posted by flcracker9 (Post 6376467)
Unfortunately for me, they started diagnosing the problem on Monday @ 10:00am. They called me at noon, and said they thought it was the flexplate, but couldn't see a break with the inspection cover off. They said the only thing they could do at that point was to pull the tranny, to see if the flexplate was broken at the crank, and needed my authorization to do so. I'm sure being a 4X4, with 8" lift and 37" tires makes it a little tougher, but they didn't get the tranny out and the flexplate off until 10:00am Today (they start at 9am). Now they have to do the reverse. I'm fairly mechanically inclined (except for diesels, you can check out my gallery, I build my own trucks, buggies, engines, paint and body) and I don't think the 10 1/2 hours (@ $60 per hour shop rate) to diagnose the problem, remove the driveshafts, transmission and transfer case, and put it all back together is way out of line, but at this point, I don't have a choice. I priced HPOPs online, and the cheapest I could find was a no-name rebuilt unit for $550 + shipping + $150 core, so the $701 from the dealer is in the ballpark?. I did check the HPOP out on my own a few months ago, and I replaced the o-rings and re-installed the plug with a new o-ring, and the thread locker that was supplied, but the pump still leaked. I took it to the shop, and they say the pump is cracked?. It is what it is, and I already put a fuel pump in it 2 months ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the next 100,000 miles will be trouble free?

Have you had any further problems with the flex plate since you had it repaired?