Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Hurricane news (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/338305-hurricane-news.html)

73Fastbackv10 01-31-2005 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Musclecar_Fan
I thought the Hurricane was going to be Ford's motor to compete with the 5.7 and 6.1. This doesn't seem like the Hurricane that I remeber hearing about.

I believe that they are going to have 2 versions. The 7.0L and a 6.2L.

Motor Trend says 90 degree v8, Big350.

tmyers 01-31-2005 03:06 PM

LoL.

I almost spilled grapejuice all over my keyboard reading that post. 800,000 trucks is a huge recall. wanna talk about recalls now Ford150? Makes the Dakota Durango ball joint recall look very small.

600k small? Deaths involved? Please. In the end this will cost Dodge much more than it will cost Ford.

As far as sales go, Dodge is happy with Ram sales. They have really done well in the last few years. I think Dodge is happier selling 450+k Rams and making money, than Ford is selling 900+k and losing money. Money is what its all about in the end.

I doubt that Ford lost anything in its truck sales. They still posted profits of 3.5 billion. What is hurting Ford the most is the premier group. Its time to cut Jaguar loose. Jag has almost a 1 billion dollor loss.

73Fastbackv10 01-31-2005 03:12 PM

As far as sales go, Dodge is happy with Ram sales. They have really done well in the last few years. I think Dodge is happier selling 450+k Rams and making money, than Ford is selling 900+k and losing money. Money is what its all about in the end.

Dodge is losing it's market share to Nissan and Toyota. Both Nissan and Toyota increased their share of truck sales along with Ford. Dodge and GM both lost ground. I wouldn't be happy if my sales were falling.

AG4.0 01-31-2005 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
I believe that they are going to have 2 versions. The 7.0L and a 6.2L.

Motor Trend says 90 degree v8, Big350.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. The initial reports of the Hurricane had it at 6.2 L. I'm guessing that the 7.0 is a bored or srtoked version of the 6.2. I would highley doubt that a 7.0 will make it's way into the F150, except maybe as a Lightning motor, if there ever is another Lightning. I'd bet the 6.2 will be in the 350 to 400 HP neighboerhood. It would seem unlikely for Ford to put out a V-8 making more power than it's larger displacement V-10. So maybe the V-10 will get another power tweak before it's all said and done.

IB Tim 01-31-2005 06:25 PM

Get this back on track about the engine!

BigF350 01-31-2005 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by AG4.0
That's kinda what I'm thinking. The initial reports of the Hurricane had it at 6.2 L. I'm guessing that the 7.0 is a bored or srtoked version of the 6.2. I would highley doubt that a 7.0 will make it's way into the F150, except maybe as a Lightning motor, if there ever is another Lightning. I'd bet the 6.2 will be in the 350 to 400 HP neighboerhood. It would seem unlikely for Ford to put out a V-8 making more power than it's larger displacement V-10. So maybe the V-10 will get another power tweak before it's all said and done.

I am guessing you are right with the bored/stroked version.
However, the 6.2 will be a bit of a different engine than the V10.
For a petrol engine the V10 is a low rpm torque monster, and is most suited to the Super Duty, and RV chassis' etc.
The 6.2 I would imagine would have closer power characteristics to the Hemi than the V10 (i.e. it will rev higher).
I am guessing the 6.2 will be an engine option on the F-150 - as a semi performance engine.
The 5.4 would most likely still be the base engine on the Super Duty, as its low rpm torque characteristics are perferable for its large weight.

All I am saying is, I wouldn't be surprised if the 6.2l has more power than the V10, but not more torque.

Dealford 01-31-2005 09:20 PM

Anybody know if the Hurricane will be the engine powering the Ford concept car, the Ford 427 ? Shades of the 7L Galaxie.
AL. :-wink

BigF350 01-31-2005 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by bigbluebronco43
tymers- the GT engine is nothing more than the Navigator engine with intake/exhaust tuning done to the heads and intake. Then a supercharger was slapped on it and called a day. The only engine that Ford has produced with respectable numbers in N/A form was the 2001 Cobra R, 5.4 385(maybe 380) HP, but that engine was strung out to the max- performance wise (tuning, porting heads, intake, exhaust, etc) and would not be a good truck engine.

My car makes 389hp in its stock form (Naturally Aspirated)
It is a 4v mod 5.4 V8 - same motor in the Cobra R, just with different exhaust manifolds.
There is a tuning company in Australia that is pushing 430hp plus with these motors though - still N/A and without increasing capacity, beyond 430hp it is pretty difficult, due to the huge stroke of the motor, and the friction losses associated with the huge piston velocities.
http://www.herrodmotorsport.com.au/home.asp?p=galleries

And no, its not really suitable as a truck motor.
Although with a blower... hehehe

AG4.0 01-31-2005 10:41 PM

It'll be interesting to see what approach they take. Initial reports on the 6.2 guessed it to be around 350 HP, which I bet it'll end up being more. I just hope that they don't sacrifice too much low end, just to get the HP up there. I'd imagine torque to be in the 430 ft-lbs ballpark. Should be one heck of motor.

73Fastbackv10 01-31-2005 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dealford
Anybody know if the Hurricane will be the engine powering the Ford concept car, the Ford 427 ? Shades of the 7L Galaxie.
AL. :-wink

Nothing's for sure, but rumors are first it'll appear in the F-Series, then make it's was to the Crown Vic. Apparently Ford wants to use it in every type of car that people compare to anything Dodge uses the HEMI in (i.e. F-Series vs. Ram, Crown Vic vs. 300C).

I don't think that it'll replace the v10. As it was mentioned earlier, the v10 is more of a torque thumper. The Hurricane's DOHC suggests that it'll be a revver.

bigbluebronco43 02-01-2005 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by BigF350
My car makes 389hp in its stock form (Naturally Aspirated)
It is a 4v mod 5.4 V8 - same motor in the Cobra R, just with different exhaust manifolds.
There is a tuning company in Australia that is pushing 430hp plus with these motors though - still N/A and without increasing capacity, beyond 430hp it is pretty difficult, due to the huge stroke of the motor, and the friction losses associated with the huge piston velocities.
http://www.herrodmotorsport.com.au/home.asp?p=galleries

And no, its not really suitable as a truck motor.
Although with a blower... hehehe

You folks down under get to have all the fun :-X22 . Up here there is nothing close to that. x(

BigF350 02-01-2005 05:27 PM

You folks down under get to have all the fun :-X22 . Up here there is nothing close to that. x(

No, but we still don't get the Mustang :-arrgh

Fordtastic 02-01-2005 07:11 PM

yeah if the united states had the same octane Rateing standards as the aussies, we would have alot more fun cars.

Ben99GT 02-02-2005 06:33 PM

tymers- the GT engine is nothing more than the Navigator engine with intake/exhaust tuning done to the heads and intake. Then a supercharger was slapped on it and called a day. The only engine that Ford has produced with respectable numbers in N/A form was the 2001 Cobra R, 5.4 385(maybe 380) HP, but that engine was strung out to the max- performance wise (tuning, porting heads, intake, exhaust, etc) and would not be a good truck engine.

That engine was hardly strung out. It had low compression, mild cams, and alot of material in the heads to remove.

Ever hear of Al Papitto?

He's got a naturally aspirated 4 valve 5.4 making somewhere around 530 rwhp, that's over 600 flywheel horsepower man. And it's been over a year since I've last heard about his numbers, but he's since switched to the Cobra R heads which he claims he has gotten way better numbers out of than his old Navigator heads. So I'm sure he will pick up with them.

bigbluebronco43 02-02-2005 08:00 PM

I'm talking stock form, you won't find ported and polished heads, 40lb injectors, tubular headers, and such on a production engine made for a truck to run over 100k miles working hard.