Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Trading 6.7 for 7.3 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1662192-trading-6-7-for-7-3-a.html)

acadianbob 05-16-2021 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by twobelugas (Post 19882335)
it’s somewhat amusing to me to watch people blow a ton of money on well used diesel rigs when a newer gas one would suit their needs better. Well, in my case looking at the people in my neighborhood who have diesel rigs, only one tows regularly while the others just want a diesel in their driveway to look “country” when a Fusion is all they need.

thats fine by me, the more people want diesels the cheaper gas ones are off the lot. :D

Yep. Recently in a campground full of Ford diesels; pulling a 7K 26' camper that could EASILY be pulled by a 1/2 ton Ecoboost.

Ryan Cawdor 05-16-2021 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by acadianbob (Post 19883075)
Yep. Recently in a campground full of Ford diesels; pulling a 7K 26' camper that could EASILY be pulled by a 1/2 ton Ecoboost.

if that's the logic we're going to use then nobody needs great big RVs any longer. A simple tent and sleeping bag should do. The same goes for boats too. Everyone should be fine with a simple row boat that will do the job. Everyone has things they don't need but a diesel truck is held to a higher standard than that race car that sits in the garage for a majority of it's life.

Scoobertdoo 05-16-2021 09:27 AM

Currently in a 6.2 and retire in 5 years. Our plan is go fulltime rv in a 5th wheel in about the 12k-15k range.
Because we plan on spending months at a time in one spot the 7.3 seems like the perfect choice. The only problem we see is the same problem we have in the 6.2 pulling our 10K 5th wheel. That damn tiny ass fuel tank. 27 gallons of use (before it starts screaming at you) at 8 mpg is just a pure pain in the butt. Seems like there might be aftermarket tanks but now you are taking several thousand dollars added to the truck and losing bed space.

last5oh_302 05-16-2021 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobertdoo (Post 19883238)
Currently in a 6.2 and retire in 5 years. Our plan is go fulltime rv in a 5th wheel in about the 12k-15k range.
Because we plan on spending months at a time in one spot the 7.3 seems like the perfect choice. The only problem we see is the same problem we have in the 6.2 pulling our 10K 5th wheel. That damn tiny ass fuel tank. 27 gallons of use (before it starts screaming at you) at 8 mpg is just a pure pain in the butt. Seems like there might be aftermarket tanks but now you are taking several thousand dollars added to the truck and losing bed space.

the long bed comes with a 48 gallon tank if I recall.

Scoobertdoo 05-16-2021 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by last5oh_302 (Post 19883240)
the long bed comes with a 48 gallon tank if I recall.

ONLY if you get the 4 door, which I was really trying to stay away from.

last5oh_302 05-16-2021 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobertdoo (Post 19883244)

you’ll like the 4 door. I don’t know what there isn’t to like about it other than the extra cost.
I have a 7.3 four door dually on order for hauling a 12-14 k bumper pull across the continent.
I definitely wanted the largest tank available.

chamdaddy 05-16-2021 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobertdoo (Post 19883244)

Looks like there is an aftermarket solution in the works, but like you said probably a couple thousand bucks. I can't believe Ford has not picked up on all the chatter of so many people complaining about the 34 gal. tank and not making it an upgrade option as it is in the 150's. I have a 2022 on order and would have gladly paid a reasonable up-charge for a larger tank.

BSHORT 05-16-2021 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by last5oh_302 (Post 19883248)
you’ll like the 4 door. I don’t know what there isn’t to like about it other than the extra cost.
I have a 7.3 four door dually on order for hauling a 12-14 k bumper pull across the continent.
I definitely wanted the largest tank available.

Wish I could get the CCLB, but it just won't fit in the allotted space. SCSB was the longest I could easily muster.

BSHORT 05-16-2021 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by chamdaddy (Post 19883255)
Looks like there is an aftermarket solution in the works, but like you said probably a couple thousand bucks. I can't believe Ford has not picked up on all the chatter of so many people complaining about the 34 gal. tank and not making it an upgrade option as it is in the 150's. I have a 2022 on order and would have gladly paid a reasonable up-charge for a larger tank.

Try towing with a 24 gallon tank. Absolutely sucks.

HAP Const 05-16-2021 10:12 AM

Do what you feel comfortable with. I bet more than half of the diesel crowd doesn’t use their truck for work. They bought it to look cool while driving around the mall parking lot with a child seat in the back. Again, it’s their money, but they are also the ones pushing diesel for no other reason than the badge on the door. You need to listen to the folks with real world experience. I drag mini ex’s around in the 13k range with no issues with my gasser. I loaded 2 tons of rock into my 350 on Friday and she was barely squatting. My last 350 was diesel, this time I went gas and it does everything I ask of it. She might take a few more rpms to get on the highway or pull a steep graded loaded down, but I never have to worry a 10k service bill or any other diesel or emissions related issues. If the emissions crap ever gets done away with I might go back to a diesel truck, but not now when there is the 7.3 available.

Do you tow heavy? Do you tow in the mountains? Do you need higher payload capacity or towing capacity? Be honest with yourself when you answer these questions. Let the facts help guide you, not what some mall crawler that keeps putting diesel in the def tank tells you.

Scoobertdoo 05-16-2021 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by last5oh_302 (Post 19883248)

It's just my wife and I. We really dont need four doors or would even use that space for much. So to me its just unused space making the truck longer for no reason. Also I really dont like the looks of them.

smokewagun 05-16-2021 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by acadianbob (Post 19883075)

Please, AcadianBob, please tell us how much experience you have in this department.
In the real world, where 7k travel trailer yields a 1,000# tongue weight and then a family of four is tossed in the cab, with a loaded truck bed, that 1,500# payload is shot, and then some.

Im not calling you out, so don’t misunderstand me. I have lived this over, and am currently living in with an F150, although planning was part of my past, which would have included Covid. 😜 These stupid tow numbers are absolutely asinine. There is no 1/2 ton capable of comfortably towing 12-13k as spec’d out. I’d MUCH rather see people towing Jayco Hummingbirds or T@b trailers with 3/4 tons than 1/2 ton trucks. It seems today, you just can’t fix stupid. And I walk the campgrounds and marvel at the idiots that do what they do because they have no idea what they are into, but their dealer said they could. We’re driving on the same roads with these dorks driving 75mph with a 10k trailer behind a shirt box half ton with a golf cart in the back.🤪

BSHORT 05-16-2021 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by smokewagun (Post 19884214)
Please, AcadianBob, please tell us how much experience you have in this department.
In the real world, where 7k travel trailer yields a 1,000# tongue weight and then a family of four is tossed in the cab, with a loaded truck bed, that 1,500# payload is shot, and then some.

Im not calling you out, so don’t misunderstand me. I have lived this over, and am currently living in with an F150, although planning was part of my past, which would have included Covid. 😜 These stupid tow numbers are absolutely asinine. There is no 1/2 ton capable of comfortably towing 12-13k as spec’d out. I’d MUCH rather see people towing Jayco Hummingbirds or T@b trailers with 3/4 tons than 1/2 ton trucks. It seems today, you just can’t fix stupid. And I walk the campgrounds and marvel at the idiots that do what they do because they have no idea what they are into, but their dealer said they could. We’re driving on the same roads with these dorks driving 75mph with a 10k trailer behind a shirt box half ton with a golf cart in the back.🤪

Many 1/2 tons have a higher payload that a CC diesel. Always seem to hear the argument that a 150 can't stop as well...The difference in brake rotors for the 150/250 has the 250 at 1/2" larger diameter and less than a 1/4" thicker. Think the 150's are plenty capable.

smokewagun 05-16-2021 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by BSHORT (Post 19884227)
Many 1/2 tons have a higher payload that a CC diesel. Always seem to hear the argument that a 150 can't stop as well...The difference in brake rotors for the 150/250 has the 250 at 1/2" larger diameter and less than a 1/4" thicker. Think the 150's are plenty capable.

I don’t want to turn this thread. I’ve lived this 1/2 ton towing dream over several times kidding myself I’ll make it work. The facts are that you are correct if you compare a regular cab or super cab to a crew cab 3/4 ton diesel with a reduced weight rating by sticker. If you are looking at crew cab 1/2 tons, you’ll need a stripped XLT or heavy duty payload package truck to dabble close to a the same 3/4 ton diesel.
Dont forget mass vs. a$$, too. A 3/4 ton truck outweighs a 1/2 ton by more than a few hundred pounds. That is where the real difference is in the tail wagging the dog.

RubenZ 05-16-2021 10:48 PM

Ya I’m sorry but a 3/4 ton will tow a same load better than a 1/2 ton. I mean seriously, if not then why make a 3/4 ton.