Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   This is the planning & info thread for the September 2019 PA Truckstock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558418-this-is-the-planning-and-info-thread-for-the-september-2019-pa-truckstock.html)

pintoplumber 03-03-2019 06:30 AM

Some park rangers are nicer to work with than others. In October at another park, we arrived before check in time. He wouldn’t let us occupy the empty site before 3pm. Some rangers will let you park a 2nd vehicle for a small fee, some make you park in the designated parking area. Dennis

bobj49f2 03-03-2019 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone, we'll just have to see how the time pans out. I need to get some maintenance done on the F-2 before I take another long trip. Nothing major, just go over the brakes again, a good tune-up, just a bunch of little stuff I've neglected. If nothing major happens over the summer I would say there's a 90% chance of going. Of course I'll have to figure out a route to get there. Jim, the route you took sounds pretty much like the one I tried to follow when we went to KY in '12. We got a detoured and ended up going through the southern part of Chicago late afternoon/early evening. Interesting in a 60 year old truck that most people can outrun. We made it and got into Indiana the night. We also had tire trouble and found a very helpful tire shop in a small town in Indiana who helped us out free of charge.

abe 03-03-2019 01:01 PM

Bob and Jim, will you come route 80 the whole way?

bigwin56f100 03-03-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 18517219)
Bob and Jim, will you come route 80 the whole way?

route 80? They'll get run over!

bobj49f2 03-03-2019 01:32 PM

I haven't look into it yet but yeah, has to be a route that has at least two lanes each way so I can cruise at a comfortable slow speed. I also like taking the back roads, avoiding interstates, to see the countryside and go through small two America. In every day life we try to get from point A to B as fast as we can. While cruising in an old truck you should seem more of the country, no need to hurry. That was one of the most enjoyable parts of driving the 800 miles to Shane's house. We got to see a lot of old buildings and during stops we once in a while we'd encounter someone who would come up and talk about old trucks and the times they had in them when they were new. You're not going to get that speeding down the interstate stopping only at waysides and fast food joints. One stop I would definitely make is to cross the river in the old ferry.

pintoplumber 03-03-2019 02:09 PM

A few years ago when I drove to Illinois, after leaving Kevin’s house, I drove down to US 30. Nice road in Ohio and Indiana. Not so much in Illinois. Went through south side of Chicago. Ended up in Byron Illinois to race. Dennis

52 USCG Panel 03-03-2019 02:52 PM

Bob, I am in complete agreement about wanting to see Small Town America. Highway 47 and Highway 1 in IL definitely qualify once you get beyond the suburbs of Chicago. I had a wonderful experience that I've written about in a quaint little church yard just north of Gibson City, IL. Small Town America is still alive and well, and experiencing it again is a big part of my wanting to go on another Truckstock adventure.

Dennis, I used to drive Highway 30 years and years ago when I student taught in Fort Wayne. I think my school, in fact, was located on Highway 30, and it was part of the route I used to get back and forth from WI.

Jim

abe 03-03-2019 04:05 PM

In PA they call Route 30 the Lincoln Highway. It runs the southern part of PA. It goes right through Lancaster and into Philly.

After you get past Cleveland you go NE and get route 6. It is a two lane road in some places, 4 lane in others or at least a two lane going up hills. It is a nice scenic drive but you'll be a bit north of Bald Eagle State Park.

52 USCG Panel 03-03-2019 04:50 PM

Rt 6 looks interesting. There just doesn't seem to be many straight roads in PA, and I can see that some fancy navigating through the mountains is going to be required. Ideally, my wife would come along to keep an eye on the map and road signs, but that is almost certainly not going to happen. She just isn't up for the kind of sketchy adventures that I seem to be attracted to. Hopefully, I'll be following Bob--I believe in Bob (and his wife)--their previous (alleged) Truckstock misadventures not withstanding. LOL.

Jim

bobj49f2 03-21-2019 07:58 PM

Just an update. I was talking to my wife tonight about our day and she asked when was the meet in PA should she could make plans. Sounds like it a go, at least so far. She's even talking about touring PA to visit people we know in the state. She's a hars worker and needs time off. Shes looking forward to riding shotgun in the F-2. It just might turn into another 1600 mile trip, or more, in the old beast.

Just have to see how business goes in the next few months.

pineconeford 03-21-2019 08:29 PM

Great news Bob, looking forward to meeting you. And your wife of course. An F2 passenger for 1,000 miles deserves a special welcome.
Tom

abe 03-21-2019 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 18553820)
Just an update. I was talking to my wife tonight about our day and she asked when was the meet in PA should she could make plans. Sounds like it a go, at least so far. She's even talking about touring PA to visit people we know in the state. She's a hars worker and needs time off. Shes looking forward to riding shotgun in the F-2. It just might turn into another 1600 mile trip, or more, in the old beast.

That sounds great, Bob! I hope your business is good the next few months so you can keep the wife happy by bringing her to Central PA again!

abe 03-21-2019 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 18553820)

That sounds great, Bob! I hope your business is good the next few months so you can keep the wife happy by bringing her to Central PA again!

4tl8ford 03-21-2019 09:34 PM

There is a very slim chance that I might have a slim chance of going this year - I may make the trip in sections - I have some Cousins in and around Curwensville - I may try to get there several days earlier so I have a chance to recoup if needed
It might be fun to take a long Test Drive

abe 03-21-2019 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford (Post 18554033)
There is a very slim chance that I might have a slim chance of going this year - I may make the trip in sections - I have some Cousins in and around Curwensville - I may try to get there several days earlier so I have a chance to recoup if needed
It might be fun to take a long Test Drive

That's great, Dick. It'd be great to meet you too. Curwensville Exit is just west of the Milesburg exit which you would take to get to the Bald Eagle State Park. I think it's just the Snow Shoe exit between them.