Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Morimoto SB LED Headlights (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558049-morimoto-sb-led-headlights.html)

EWeezY 01-07-2019 08:14 PM

I have not purchased these but was patiently waiting for these things to start shipping to see how the Superduty community reviews them. I have a sports edition with the intentions of buying these....I didn't want any chrome and I CAN'T STAND these halogens, but sacrificed the OEM LED for the Sports edition look. Even my wife who has no care for automotive lighting like i do ;) Asked me the other night if my lights were on........sadly they were. She even suggested they were really bad. Before I had a retro-fitted F150 with all TRS components and were flawless. Some of the delays i can understand, but a fee for expedited shipping......thats crazy....Im already trying to justify $1,700 for lights ...anyways I know that a pair has been sent out, I saw it on there FB or website I forget. So, hopefully they surface and we can see some first hand ones out in the wild.

zekes66 01-07-2019 11:23 PM

Few years ago I pre-ordered an AR BCG. Nobody ever got the BCG or their money back. I think I'll wait until these things start getting shipped out. As nice as they look I'll wait.

TheLex 01-08-2019 01:00 AM

You may want to investigate the HID or LED kits from Xenon Depot. These look well designed. The HID kit can be ordered with a 4300K bulb, which is near OEM Xenon lights color temperatures.

They are a lot less expensive than $2k!!!

https://www.xenondepot.com/2017-f-25...13-hid-kit.htm

telly9987 01-08-2019 03:13 AM

Ordered in Nov and still waiting. Spoke to Stage 3 and was told end of Jan... Fingers crossed

GABAR 01-08-2019 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by CO Wapiti (Post 18404727)
I received the notice as well. First off, I knew there was no way we would be getting these in December as promised. Fullfilment dates are rarely reached for most new products. Second, there's no way I'm giving an extra $150. I'll just wait for them.
On another note....has anyone ever removed the factory light assemblies yet? How far forward do they have to be pulled forward for them to release? I have an aftermarket bumper and winch and I only have about 3/4 of an inch clearance at the bottom of the headlight assembly to the pre runner bar of my bumper. I sure hope I won't have to remove that bumper to get these new lights installed.. With the winch I'm sure it's about 450 lbs.

Wow......yes, that would really suck to remove just to install some headlights.
Fingers crossed 🤞 for you.

Poncho450 01-08-2019 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by JetMechJoe (Post 18404462)
so you order way in advance....they give you a date range on when to expect them, then they push that date out by double but ask you to pay more to get them a month or so sooner which is later then their original estimated ship date? that right there is a big turn off in dealing with them as a company based off of ethics/principles. Has anyone received a set and if yes, can we see photos? thanks

Exactly what I was thinking. It's like extorting someone because they know there's bound to be some people who can't stand the wait and will pay that extra $150. I would never consider Morimoto anyway, but if I had been this is a definite indicator to run fast and far away from them. Like they're dangling a carrot out there to see how many will bite.

CPal 01-08-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Poncho450 (Post 18405788)
Exactly what I was thinking. It's like extorting someone because they know there's bound to be some people who can't stand the wait and will pay that extra $150. I would never consider Morimoto anyway, but if I had been this is a definite indicator to run fast and far away from them. Like they're dangling a carrot out there to see how many will bite.

I've been on the fence about these hoping to order in spring when customers finally get them and have some reviews. I am completely disgusted however they have the balls to ask people to fork out additional money to get a product sooner yet still later than the date those that pre paid were told in the first place. IMO if anything customers should be receiving a small rebate of sorts for the delays.

amorrow02 01-08-2019 12:41 PM

In fairness to TRS, they stated the $150 air freight charge is their actual cost per piece and includes no profit to them. In my opinion it's nice they are at least offering an option to receive sooner. However, it's not very cool that they were still telling customers (like when I called two weeks ago) simply late December ship date...without any mention of additional 5-6 week (5 week ship freight + time from distributor to customer) transit time they just dropped on us...and now tell us we can get closer to that date for significant upcharge. Had they shipped from Morimoto the day I called two weeks ago, they still wouldn't have made it without a significant upcharge, and I don't understand why there weren't honest about that.

Oh well, I'm with others in that I'm looking forward to getting these, but aren't paying the additional $150 to expedite.

Poncho450 01-08-2019 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by amorrow02 (Post 18406245)
In fairness to TRS, they stated the $150 air freight charge is their actual cost per piece and includes no profit to them. In my opinion it's nice they are at least offering an option to receive sooner. However, they now inform us that it takes 5 weeks + delivery time from the distributor to customer. So it's not very cool that they were still telling customers (like when I called to weeks ago) simply late December ship date...without any mention of additional 5-6 week transit time.

Oh well, I'm with others in that I'm looking forward to getting these, but aren't paying the additional $150 to expedite.

I'm no logistics expert. But 5-6 weeks transit time is not air freight to me. Sounds like an Amazon order I placed that literally came over on the boat from China.

amorrow02 01-08-2019 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Poncho450 (Post 18406249)
I'm no logistics expert. But 5-6 weeks transit time is not air freight to me. Sounds like an Amazon order I placed that literally came over on the boat from China.

Five weeks is the standard ship/boat freight time. $150 air freight gets them here week of 1/21.

Busa 1 Dave 01-08-2019 02:52 PM

With the shutdown the US Customs is not at full staff...……. So will have that to deal with as well.

MNSuper 01-08-2019 09:06 PM

MNSuper 01-08-2019 09:08 PM

I ordered in Late September. I got the offer to speed up delivery too. It's annoying how the date keeps changing but I am confident they will be worth the wait.

honda250xtitan 01-09-2019 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheLex (Post 18405444)
You may want to investigate the HID or LED kits from Xenon Depot. These look well designed. The HID kit can be ordered with a 4300K bulb, which is near OEM Xenon lights color temperatures.

They are a lot less expensive than $2k!!!

https://www.xenondepot.com/2017-f-25...13-hid-kit.htm

LOL not comparable to a true projector setup. I drove by a f250 with a LED kit and the glare was UNREAL, i can't imagine being in a car and seeing that. Lumens don't mean everything. if the reflector is **** (like they are in the Halogen lights) than whats the point of ALL THE LUMENS if you're literally scattering it everywhere.

Also if you're putting HID bulbs in a reflector style housing just go ahead and drive the truck off a cliff.

TheLex 01-09-2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by honda250xtitan (Post 18407801)
LOL not comparable to a true projector setup. I drove by a f250 with a LED kit and the glare was UNREAL, i can't imagine being in a car and seeing that. Lumens don't mean everything. if the reflector is **** (like they are in the Halogen lights) than whats the point of ALL THE LUMENS if you're literally scattering it everywhere.

Also if you're putting HID bulbs in a reflector style housing just go ahead and drive the truck off a cliff.

Well, I hope your Morimotos are all you hope for then. FYI my truck came with the OEM LED headlights and I hate them. The light is too blue and has glare. I've found the same thing on every single vehicle I've driven with LED headlights.

IMO the older Xenon headights with a more neutral/yellow 4300-4500K light are far superior. I've got Xenons on the Honda Odyssey, Porsche and Mercedes, and those lights are awesome. I can see very clearly. With the F450, everything is white/blue and washed out.