Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   6.7 vs 6.0 vs 6.4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1245207-6-7-vs-6-0-vs-6-4-a.html)

2ndStroke 10-14-2013 04:08 PM

I can't find that video on youtube anymore, strange:-huh

Piolet 10-14-2013 04:13 PM

291,000 miles on my 2003 6.0L right now. Been paid off for a number of years now so not having a payment is great. I hope to get another few years and some more miles out of her.

Some of the other contractors I work with have moved into the 6.7. They love them. 20mpg. I have driven them a few brief times if I need to move them around the job sites. I loved the fit and feel of them. So smooth. If I won the lottery I'd be in one in a heart beat.
Without the lottery winnings I don't think I'd take the plunge though. Some of the stories I've read about fuel system problems and expensive repair bills scare me away. I could not afford a random $12k - $15k repair bill ... that would not be fair to other members of my household.

Never driven a 6.4 although the company does have a 2009 with a gas motor. I like the interior.

2ndStroke 10-14-2013 04:49 PM

I'd wait to buy a new 6.7, gen 2 is coming out next year, quite a few changes, new fuel system being one of them :)

m-chan68 10-14-2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by VQT (Post 13626789)
Waiting for Mike Chan to put in his knowledge

7.3L - Old, loud and very "clacky", not to mention stinky, but overall reliable as hell to get the job done. Not as powerful as the newer 6.0L/6.4L and 6.7L diesels, but also doesn't have 32 valves as well as EGR, DPF and SCR, so therefore, overall less expensive to maintain. There was the odd CMP sensor failure here and there, but that was already addressed with a recall.

6.0L - Well, I don't think there's much that needs to be said here, since most of us are well familiar with the issues by now. '03 engines have had ZERO EGR cooler failures with me anyways. '03 engines have had way less FICM failures than mid '04 and up engines, for reasons that I can't explain. mid '04 and up engines with their EGR and oil cooler issues, well ......... 'nuff said there. '05 and up engines with their STC fitting and dummy rail plug lower d-ring failures, well we all know about that as well. Let's also not go there with the stock torque to yield head bolts that stretch. Everyone knows about that as well. Overall, much nicer sounding than the 7.3L it replaced (especially the '06 and up versions).

6.4L - Quieter, smoother and MUCH easier starting in colder ambient temperatures. I don't even bother to wait for the glow plug indicator to shut off before being able to fire them up in one very quick crank, even in sub zero degree temperatures. Okay, I won't go into too much detail here, but here it goes. Engine oil level that likes to "grow" between oil changes (the most catastrophic being the crankcase level doubles to 30 litres of oil/fuel mixture) due either to frequent regens, and/or internal high pressure fuel system leaks that are way too time consuming to diagnose. On yes, regen? That, pretty much DOUBLES your fuel consumption over that of your 6.0L or 7.3L. Then there's the '08s especially, that like to eat radiators. cavitate the engine front covers behind the water pumps. They "eat" primary belt tensioners (I've seen my share in on the hook with the drive belt MIA as a result). Items updated are EGR valve (no more coolant flow through them), upper and lower rad hoses (from ONE o-ring design to TWO for better sealing) as well as thermostats. Oh, and they also like to crack the right side up-pipes at the belows. Did I miss anything? When ***** hits the fan on these engines, they hit BIG. Favourite cylinders to go south on these engines are cylinders #2 and #8.

6.7L - Not much for me to say here. They are MUCH smoother and quieter than the 7.3L/6.0L/6.4L all put together. They are also WAY more complex, not to mention WAY more expensive. A little overkill on the number of cylinder head bolts on this engine in my opinion. Aluminum cylinder heads on a diesel. REALLY??? Diesel exhaust fluid is also an added expense, like fuel and washer fluid. TWO cooling systems, along with SCR only add even more to the complexity of the modern light duty diesel pickup. I have read about some early engines failing glow plugs doing base engine damage. Also read of some with exhaust valves going south. Haven't personally come across the above two myself YET. There are a number of them also failing the left side crimp seal on the primary radiators (just like the 6.4L trucks). EGR coolers are being replaced due to carbon plugging up the primary coolers (and setting P0401 and P2457). There are also some issues here and there with the SCR system (DEF heaters, NOx sensors, NOx modules etc.). Other than that, not too much else to report. Overall a very good engine, SO FAR.

2ndStroke 10-15-2013 10:39 AM

^ very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Per4mance 10-15-2013 11:23 AM

Well there ya go, from a guy that wrenches on them all day. Looks like a 6.0 is the best value for your dollar in my book........plus it's payed for

Misky6.0 10-15-2013 12:50 PM

mchan,

WOW, thanks for that great write-up. I'm in rep prison - but I expect EVERYBODY else to hit you too. }>:-drink

VQT 10-15-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndStroke (Post 13630008)
^ very interesting. Thanks for the info.

:):) Great info.

npccpartsman 10-15-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Misky6.0 (Post 13630434)
mchan,

WOW, thanks for that great write-up. I'm in rep prison - but I expect EVERYBODY else to hit you too. }>:-drink

Add me to this list. Great write up Mike.