Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   2012 F150, 4th time in shop! Now intercooler! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1196453-2012-f150-4th-time-in-shop-now-intercooler.html)

3f150 10-19-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by King Ranch (Post 12390841)
so what we are saying is that the 5.0 never breaks down??
Sorry to hear about your issues, but my truck has 12K flawless miles on it and it's towed everything I've put on the hitch with not so much as a hiccup. I would buy the truck again in a heartbeat, still smile like a little kid every time I hammer on it.
Good luck with yours, hope it works out.

I talked to a Ford rep today and they stated they were having lots of this issue. I'm glad yours is fine, consider yourself lucky. I hope they find a fix soon because I would love the truck if not for this.

excaliber551 10-22-2012 10:57 AM

I'm glad we held off on buying the EB too. Ford can't get anything right the first time. All the trucks they build need willing guinea pigs and years of tweeking to get them close to right. Sorry for all of you that have been affected by Ford's typical MO.

Give them a couple years and they may have the EB figured out. Right now the 5.0 is an overall better piece of mind but there is still the tranny/Torque c issue or whatever plagues all the F150's.

With my prior luck with 3 brand new Fords I had a feeling it was better to wait it out. I hope Ford gives you Guys/Gals an extended warranty or buys these problematic vehicles back.

Use the Lemon law if you have too, It's there for your protection.

ChargersFanInCO 10-22-2012 03:17 PM

The EcoBoost can tow more than the 5.0, but I'm not towing much anymore, and the EB couldn't tow what I needed to tow back then, so the diesel was my only option at the time. I'm glad my diesel is gone, and love my 5.0. Once they they get the intercooler issue fixed, the EB will be fine. The 6.4 went through the same drama with the intercooler, but it surprises me the engineers didn't think about that with the EB from the get-go.

To the guy who said he was happy or thrilled, or something with his EB every time he hammers it...Next time look out your left window...That's me right next to you in my 5.0 :)

NASSTY 10-22-2012 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO (Post 12400435)
The EcoBoost can tow more than the 5.0, but I'm not towing much anymore, and the EB couldn't tow what I needed to tow back then, so the diesel was my only option at the time. I'm glad my diesel is gone, and love my 5.0. Once they they get the intercooler issue fixed, the EB will be fine. The 6.4 went through the same drama with the intercooler, but it surprises me the engineers didn't think about that with the EB from the get-go.

To the guy who said he was happy or thrilled, or something with his EB every time he hammers it...Next time look out your left window...That's me right next to you in my 5.0 :)

Is that you I see in my rearview mirror? :p

King Ranch 10-22-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO (Post 12400435)

you must have a fast one. LOL :)
Ran my cousins 5.0 and yes I did see him in the left window but I was looking in the side mirror.
:-X22

thomastl 10-22-2012 08:59 PM

my 2011 has been doing both the miss at 50 mph under light load and the fall on its face issues from day one. 2 years now and still they are working on it. Engineers checked mine and noted the miss and boost dropout over a year ago.

I hope to get the new IC once the TSB comes out. I am convinced that the 50 mph light load miss feeling is a software issue of some kind. You can hear and feel the turbos drop boost (and see it on my boost gauge) when it happens. It could be water being injected and I will admit it seems to be worse when there is more moisture in the air. I was hoping the new IC would fix it but sounds like no. Probably software or a combination of the 2.

Also my mileage is all over the place. Dry air seems to produce better MPG as well. No ethonal really helps on MPG with this thing (about 2 MPG better).

I bought mine for towing and daily driving. I tow 6500 lbs and there is no substitute other than diesel (with a lot more cost for fuel and maintenance) when towing that much weight.

Pool Runner 10-22-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by King Ranch (Post 12400734)
you must have a fast one. LOL :)
Ran my cousins 5.0 and yes I did see him in the left window but I was looking in the side mirror.
:-X22

Im with the guy who said "Hey you in the EB, I'm right next to you in the 5.0L" I agree, the EB is nice and I've driven a few and Ford gave one for me to drive for two days while I got my driveline replaced eight months ago. While I liked the way it drove It never did feel faster than my 5.0l even if numbers on paper, you tube videos and "cool stories" prove otherwise.

At any cause there isn't an EB F-150 on the planet that could hold a candle to my weekend car 2013 Subaru WRX lol, it's all fun and games. Sometimes I feel like 5.0 & EB owners are as different as the Hatfields & McCoys.

tseekins 10-23-2012 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pool Runner (Post 12402042)
Im with the guy who said "Hey you in the EB, I'm right next to you in the 5.0L" I agree, the EB is nice and I've driven a few and Ford gave one for me to drive for two days while I got my driveline replaced eight months ago. While I liked the way it drove It never did feel faster than my 5.0l even if numbers on paper, you tube videos and "cool stories" prove otherwise.

At any cause there isn't an EB F-150 on the planet that could hold a candle to my weekend car 2013 Subaru WRX lol, it's all fun and games. Sometimes I feel like 5.0 & EB owners are as different as the Hatfields & McCoys.

Close in many ways but I think the actual rivalry is between the 6.2L and the EB and the.

The WRX's by the way are bad a$$ rides. :-X22

Chris Anchor 10-23-2012 05:50 AM

This is just a layman's thought. I was talking to my friend, who has a Mercedes repair shop, about the EB and the problem some are having and that Wendy has not had it. We talked about turbos and how moisture effects them. We live in Northeastern Maryland (summer time lots humidity/winter is pretty damp) so moisture could build up. But one possible difference is that we live 40 miles from our shop and most of the driving is at 65+ mph within the first 1 mile out of our driveway. Could it be that since Wendy is moving from a parked to a high speed driving in such limited time that if moisture had built up in her IC that she is burning it off before it has time to effect the EB? If so then just drive faster quicker. Chris

Pool Runner 10-23-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 12402561)
Close in many ways but I think the actual rivalry is between the 6.2L and the EB and the.

The WRX's by the way are bad a$$ rides. :-X22

He he, probably true. I only said 5.0 and EB as I never see a 6.2 unless its a Raptor. But then again 6.2's are probably everywhere and I'm just not knowing it as the Lariat, Limited trucks arnt badged so and pretty rare compared to all the EB's and 5.0's

Butl85 10-23-2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by thomastl (Post 12401779)
my 2011 has been doing both the miss at 50 mph under light load and the fall on its face issues from day one. 2 years now and still they are working on it. Engineers checked mine and noted the miss and boost dropout over a year ago.

I hope to get the new IC once the TSB comes out. I am convinced that the 50 mph light load miss feeling is a software issue of some kind. You can hear and feel the turbos drop boost (and see it on my boost gauge) when it happens. It could be water being injected and I will admit it seems to be worse when there is more moisture in the air. I was hoping the new IC would fix it but sounds like no. Probably software or a combination of the 2.

Also my mileage is all over the place. Dry air seems to produce better MPG as well. No ethonal really helps on MPG with this thing (about 2 MPG better).

I bought mine for towing and daily driving. I tow 6500 lbs and there is no substitute other than diesel (with a lot more cost for fuel and maintenance) when towing that much weight.

I towed 8000lbs over 4k miles with my 5.0..

NASSTY 10-23-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Butl85 (Post 12405091)
I towed 8000lbs over 4k miles with my 5.0..

It can be done. But it can be done much easier with an Ecoboost.

3f150 10-23-2012 08:54 PM

Lemon Law, anyone know? I heard Ford will pay you and subtract mileage etc..They have some formula. That means I will not get a full refund plus I've lost my trade in, which in my case was better than the new truck! I'm not hard to please but I can't end up in my previous situation with a full refund based on the quality of my trade. I bought it new, kept it serviced and it was in great shape. I'm on the fence here. Maybe a trade for the same with 5.0 is the best option...(If I get the chance).

MKEBoost 10-24-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 3f150 (Post 12374815)
Guys, my 12 F150 FX4 4x4 is currently at the dealer getting a new intercooler, they put a deflector on it about three weeks ago. The deflector was supposed to stop the "missing/slipping" feeling as I was driving normal highway speeds. They said the current intercooler showed signs of moisture in some tubes. I don't see how putting a new one on solves the issue since it's a new truck! It's just going to do the same thing if moisture is the problem, unless they've redesigned them, does anyone know or had this done?

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues....very frustrating for sure! I really havn't had any/many issues with my 2011 EB other than one reflash to resolve low speed surging of the turbos...since then no real issues. With that said, I may have had a simular issue to the condensation problem at that time but it was easilly cleared up by a couple of full throttle sprints. Since then...no issues. I am begining to learn more about these EB motors and that you have to "get on it" now and then to clear out the "system". I mainly drive my truck easy all the time otherwise. I think Tim may have said that his truck also runs better when he "beats on it" now and then :-jammin

IMO, there is no reason you shouldn't buy an EB or for that matter any new technology when it first comes out. I know there are arguments on both sides but it is known that ALL vehicles and manufacturers have their our issues, some are just more widely publicized.

Lastly...I chose the EB because I get a lot better gas mileage than the 5.0, less weight, more power. Great combination IMO. But theres nothing like the runmle of the 5.0 and upgrades that are available for it...again, both motors have their own pros and cons....I love all F150's regardless...:-X22

MKEBoost 10-24-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 3f150 (Post 12405366)
Lemon Law, anyone know? I heard Ford will pay you and subtract mileage etc..They have some formula. That means I will not get a full refund plus I've lost my trade in, which in my case was better than the new truck! I'm not hard to please but I can't end up in my previous situation with a full refund based on the quality of my trade. I bought it new, kept it serviced and it was in great shape. I'm on the fence here. Maybe a trade for the same with 5.0 is the best option...(If I get the chance).

I think the lemon law differs in each state. Take a look online or in the owners manual...I believe there's some info there.