Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Shop Manuals, everyone? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/834800-shop-manuals-everyone.html)

Julies Cool F1 03-25-2009 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 7305516)
Whenever I've gone junkyarding I take some basic tools but I always take a sharp chisel and big hammer. I've been able to remove a lot of parts by cutting the metal around the part I want. Don't worry, I don't cut into the surrounding sheet metal unless it's in rough shape. I can't bring myself to chop up good sheet metal, the little that's left.

BTW, this thread has kind of wondered a bit, who cares, we're all just sitting around jawing anyways.

Ah the old junkyard days! I remember them well. I used to put on one of dads old flight suits and drive to Sacremento (from Berkley) to go out and take parts off any new F-100 carcass the might have dragged in. There was no e-bay and there was no internet. Good Old Preston was down in San Jose and he was the guy you had to deal with for repro parts.

Those days are gone forever! No more junkyards, now we have "Auto Recycling Stores." So, if you want to find a part, it's gone "California Style" here.

Once you get past the telephone answering system, press one for English, then 2 for parts, then 1 for Ford, then 2 for trucks, then 3 for pre 1970, you finnaly get teh receptionist and she makes an appointment for you to stop in.

When you arrive, you check in and while youare waiting for the parts counselor, they serve late and cuppacino - a nice touch - while you watch their video presentation of "Recycled Parts Stories" narrated by Cal Worthington.

If you ordered the deluxe visit you can get a massage, manicure, or envigorating facial - but that's mostly for the Volvo people. No frills for me.

Finally you are walked to the counselors office and after updating your personal, insurance, and credit info, you discuss the parts you need with the counselor. He calls down to the order desk and while Miguele is computer serching for the part you need in their vast inventory, you get to mingle with other customers and are encouraged to share your personal experiences in restoration. I usually just sit and listen to the piano music and tip th eguy a couple bucks to play my favorites if I'm waiting for a while.

Finally the part is here. It's dirty, rusty and gunky like they always were, but now there is a tag on it that cautions you about the part perhaps containing chemicals or metals "known by the State of California to cause cancer." If it's an electrical part there is usually a warning about touching your tongue to the part while it is energized.

And lastly the bill. It's gotten tougher, but most of our folks here offer 24 month same as cash financing on that little switch you need. How convenient is that? There is of course a $25 fee for the credit check.

So you pay the check and the 20% gratuity, leave with your parts all clean and refreshed - very nice.

Well it doesn't fit so you call to return it. They only accept returns on new merchandise - if it's used no go.

Only in Southern California!