Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   New member saying hello (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/617415-new-member-saying-hello.html)

fatfords 05-30-2007 09:42 PM

Another Welcome! The frame shortening has been discussed quite a bit and AX and Vern have given you sound advice. I think the difference in wheel base for the 6 1/2' bed (110" WB) and the 8' express bed (118" WB) is 8". George has some nice drawings on "Earl's World" in the reference material section that might help.
http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...%20Information
Good Luck!

havi 05-30-2007 10:01 PM

Like said, Z's (yeah, I said 45's, I'm forgetful, meant to emphasize no vert.)... Vertical is bad. Frames are meant to flex, and welds don't flex (work hardening) You'll soon discover Ax has an amazing way of explaining things clearly. Good luck.

ALBUQ F-1 05-30-2007 10:57 PM

Welcome!

The symptoms you describe with the fuel system point strongly to a bunch of rust debris in the fuel line from the tank to the pump. Mine was doing similar, not quite as bad, and sometimes took forever to get any gas up to the pump after sitting. I took the line out and beat it on the ground, and at least a half cup of very fine rust sludge came out. Days later after sitting in the sun to dry out, still more came out. I just replaced it with pre-cut and pre-flared lengths of coated fuel line from NAPA.

The other common problem is that the old rubber fuel pump diaphragms are made of rubber that won't stand up to the additives (especially Calif-style blends) in modern gas, like MTBE. Even some rebuilds don't. I went with a $20 Airtex electric pump from AutoZone. I have not had a single fuel-related problem since I replaced the lines, boiled out and coated the tank, and went with the electric pump. There are plenty of other things to deal with, bite the bullet on this part of your truck so you can move on to other things!

true 05-31-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Welcome!

The symptoms you describe with the fuel system point strongly to a bunch of rust debris in the fuel line from the tank to the pump. Mine was doing similar, not quite as bad, and sometimes took forever to get any gas up to the pump after sitting. I took the line out and beat it on the ground, and at least a half cup of very fine rust sludge came out. Days later after sitting in the sun to dry out, still more came out. I just replaced it with pre-cut and pre-flared lengths of coated fuel line from NAPA.

The other common problem is that the old rubber fuel pump diaphragms are made of rubber that won't stand up to the additives (especially Calif-style blends) in modern gas, like MTBE. Even some rebuilds don't. I went with a $20 Airtex electric pump from AutoZone. I have not had a single fuel-related problem since I replaced the lines, boiled out and coated the tank, and went with the electric pump. There are plenty of other things to deal with, bite the bullet on this part of your truck so you can move on to other things!

This sounds rather promising! I will go ahead and pick some new lines and a pump up while I get the pressure gauge.

CIAF 05-31-2007 07:41 PM

Welcome to the best board in ciberworld True. Be sure to allow time to take photos as you go along with any mods. We just love the pics. Great looking 6 by the way. I think you should just ship to my address and I will sit it for you. Jon.

rnelson664 05-31-2007 09:42 PM

Welcome Chris. Believe me when I tell you you've struck gold joining FTE. These guys are the best and have helped me a ton!!! Oh yeah, they're very creative and funny too.
Ray

true 06-01-2007 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rnelson664
Welcome Chris. Believe me when I tell you you've struck gold joining FTE. These guys are the best and have helped me a ton!!! Oh yeah, they're very creative and funny too.
Ray

Sounds like we have a bit of a man-crush going on here...

Just kidding! These guys are extremely informative, I have noticed this already! A neighbor dropped off an original 53 f100 service manual. It is in pristine condition and is the best guide I have going right now. I look forward to tapping in to the knowledgable members here on FTE.