Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Lift Kits (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/419078-lift-kits.html)

Beast12 01-15-2006 08:26 AM

This seems to be a popular topic so I will make it a sticky. :)

-Matt :-tap

BFR250SD 01-15-2006 08:49 AM

Thanks Matt! :-X22

When we gonna get some shots of the Focus on 44's?:rolleyes:

Hehehe!

Beast12 01-15-2006 09:03 AM

Well, the car is in "stealth" mode right now but once I put it in "sleeper" mode I will take some pics. :-D

-Matt :-tap

Bracen 01-15-2006 11:39 PM

1 - ProComp 4"
2 - Rear block and add a leaf. the new bolts that hold the spring packs together were too short!!!
3 - 9000's
4 - 315/70/17 BFG ALLTERRAIN'S
5 - 3.73LS Wish I had the 4.30 now
6 - Installed myself, on New years day. Being hung over didn't help! But the kit wasn't rocket science to install, took me about 6 hours.
7 - The kit all in all isen't too bad. Besides the bolts for the rear springs being too short the kit is pretty well assembled. I did notice a considerably harder/harsher drive after the new springs were installed. I also put in the drive shaft shims, (Yet another kit that Pro Comp makes you buy) The drive line vibration was actually BETTER after I put the kit in. I noticed a bit prior to installing the kit, and now it's almost gone.
8 - The kit Cost me 1000 Canadian, Install was FREE! If I consider my time free...lol I upgraded to some eagle 058's? I think... so I could fit the 315/70/17 on. Looks good, but i wish I'd got the 37/12.5/17 instead.
<!-- / message --><!-- no sigs except when logged in --><!-- sig -->

kmans777 01-16-2006 09:02 PM

1 - DR 4" spring lift
2 - Went to a 4" block from stock 2". Came with kit.
3 - Bilstein 5150s all around
4 - 315/75R-16 Wild Country XTX (Les Schwab) on American Eagle 102 16x8s
5 - 3.73, need at least 4.10 if not 4.30
6 - Cascade Offroad in Puyallup, Wa. installed.
7 - Very satisfied with ride. Was stiff after installation but has softened somewhat. Rides better than my friends stock 97 F-350 CC. One issue, truck is leaning to left. 3/4" to an 1" depending on fuel load. Wasn't there upon initial install. Settling issue. New springs coming from DR. Very happy with appearance. S#*% happens and if the lean is just one of those rare times it happens I'd rate this kit as A-one and DR A+ for standing by their product.

akfalconer 01-18-2006 02:06 PM

1.donahoe 4.5" hanger

2.4" blocks

3.bilstein 5100

4.315 cooper discovery-16x10 eagle

5.stock 3:73

6.self install

6a.Not to bad,had to customize a couple things.

7.no regrets

8.custom rear springs instead of blocks

9.1250 complete

toddyw 01-19-2006 06:00 PM

BFR, you left out one selection for use old fuddy-duddies, none or no lift for my truck, at least that is the one I would have selected.

[QUOTE=BFR250SD]Okay, here's the deal.

We have lots of folks who have questions about what lift kit to get, what setup, what shocks, how high, tire size, yadda, yadda, yadda. This is specifically aimed at the SD crowd.

BFR250SD 01-19-2006 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by toddyw
BFR, you left out one selection for use old fuddy-duddies, none or no lift for my truck, at least that is the one I would have selected.

But that's why the title say "Lift Kits" :-X07

BFR250SD 01-21-2006 04:29 AM

Okay, some folks have been asking for pics of the 05+ trucks. So here ya go...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=103091&.jpg

Kadukoboy 01-21-2006 11:22 PM

1 - Type kit and how big
SuperLift 8"

2 - Rear springs, blocks or add-a-leafs
Rear Springs

3 - What shocks
Dual SuperLift Shocks

4 - What tires and size
37x13.5 on 16inch rim....Xterrain

5 - Gear ratio and what would you go to
Stock 4.30 …hmm….satisfied

6a - If self install, how difficult and what problems
Half and Half
Easy but you MUST be experienced to do it in one day

7 - What is YOUR impression of the kit overall
Friggen great! NOT MADE FOR STREET COMFORT!

8 - If you could have, what would you change
Drivetrain shudder

9 - If you wouldn't mind, how much you paid for the LIFT
Front Springs ..........................................$372
Front kit(Tie rod ext, Drop pitman etc)..........$406
Front Driveshaft Lengthening.......................$174
Rear Springs........................................... ..$300
Rear U bolt kit...........................................$40
Dual front shock kit....................................$165
Carrier bearing Drop Bracket.........................$32
Dual Steering Stabilizer...............................$127
Rear swaybar end links...............................$65

Total for parts..........................................$15 30
37 x13.5 w/rims about 2 grand

cangim 01-22-2006 07:02 PM

Going to go with a leveling kit from Superlift, new spring kit with shocks, stock tire size and 3.73 gears. But I have to say, some of those 8" lifts are looking awesome.

PGallo 01-24-2006 04:18 PM

Lift kits

2002 F-350 Lariat SC V-10

1. SuperLift 4"
2. Rear add-a-leaf and larger blocks
3. Superlift shocks
4. 315/75 R 16 Pro-Comp XTerrains and 285/ 75 R 16 Cooper Discoverer STT
5. 4.30 LS -- it's great, I would not switch higher nor lower
6. Self-installed
6a. Simple, no major problems, but I did it on a hydraulic lift (made it easy).
7. Kit was OK, directions were a bit cryptic, but I figured out how to do it. Had to fabricate a 1" block to shim carrier bearing on rear driveshaft to get rid of Ujoint bind. Front springs a bit stiffer than stock fronts, but still very comfortable ride on/off road. I purchased drop pitman arm after the lift kit install, but haven't put it in yet (Spring?); I think it should have been recommended for use with the kit.
8. Nothing - I love the whole setup. Truck sits with slight nose-low rake (~1.5"), big tires fit with plenty of clearance, looks great!
9. Cost about $1,000+, but also purchase dual stabilizer setup, bug deflector, and wheels/tires (Mickey Classic II's with XTerrains), for another couple grand.

jjgi5150 02-21-2006 11:05 PM

Hi All,

1 - Fabtech 8"
2 - FT Rear springs, with 3" blocks to make it about 1/2 " higher in rear with empty bed.
3 - Fox Racing, dual in front on Fabtech hoops, single on rear
4 - 38x15.5x20R Toyo Fun Country (Best tires I've ever had on a big truck) on Weld 12x20 Cheyennes.
5 - Still stock 3.73 LS, but going to go to 4.30 in fall this year.
6 - Dealer installed prior to sale (by a local custom shop that does MANY of these upgrades for both local Ford dealers.)
6a - N/A, but I did have to change the rear blocks, it sat too high in the rear for my taste. Also a minor angle in the driveshaft, the center Fabtech spacer is about 1" too low, causing the angle. I'll be having the shop that did the install for the dealer change that out next week.
7 - The best suspension kit I have ever had on a 4x4. Very high quality, and a very good ride, considering....
8 - Nothing...as of yet...
9 - The cost over the sticker price was the "exact" best price I found for the lift kit, tires/wheels, etc, while shopping for this truck, not even counting what the installation cost would have been, had I bought the kit and had it installed. And since the dealer sold it to me that way, they are now responsible for the lift kit, and any related issues that might occur down the road. It was a GREAT deal for me.

Take care,

JJ

Antacus 02-22-2006 10:30 AM

I see no responses on a 2wd SD. Looking high and low it seems like the plastic poly spacer from daystar is about my only choice. Anyone had those installed for more then a year with any luck? Or any other leveling kit for a 2wd diesel ;)

Bear Hunter 02-22-2006 11:03 AM

I have heard that spacers on an 05+ 2WD cause alignment issues...something about not enough room or barely enough room for adjustment after the installation.

I believe Fabtech makes a 4"-6" kit for 05+ 2WD.

Are you the guy from Katy wanting to level it with 33's? If so your better off getting the full kit from Fabtech.

Antacus 02-22-2006 03:35 PM

Not that I know of, but then again I can not remember all of my aliases ;)

I want to give the truck a complete 2" lift overall, nothing extream. Sooo, I got a pair of 2" blocks for the back and was thinking of just adding a leveling kit to the front. From reading I think that would add abouts 2" to the front. Then I wanted to go up just a tad on tire size. Not sure what just yet, just a tad larger tire to fill in the gap the 2" lift would make.

A 4" lift is too much for what i want. Factory stock and I am bottoming out on the step bars by just > < that much. A 1" lift might fix my issue, 2" surely would. Reason for not going too high is I don't want to screw up adding a 5ver down the road.

Bear Hunter 02-22-2006 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Antacus
A 4" lift is too much for what i want. Factory stock and I am bottoming out on the step bars by just > < that much. A 1" lift might fix my issue, 2" surely would. Reason for not going too high is I don't want to screw up adding a 5ver down the road.

Double check this.... but I believe you will be fine with 4" and a fifth wheel. If my sources are correct I would be more concerned with the alignment issues that a spacer supposedly creates on a 2WD.

F2FIFTY 02-22-2006 04:07 PM

You guys got some good deals!!! I have a 05 F250 CC w/ 6" lift and 37" X-terrain

6" Fabtech 4link w/dual front and rear shock kit w/shocks = $4100 installed

20" MKW wheels and 37 x 13.50 X-Terrain = $3000 installed

I just threw on Bushwacker 4.5" fender flares and installing a Pioneer AVIC-D1 this weekend...damn I am broke!!!

F2F

Will show pics when done.

Antacus 02-22-2006 04:11 PM

My friend has an older 350 that he has a 5th wheel on. Right now my truck is right at the same height as his, maybe an 1" lower. He has 16" wheels and 2" blocks. I got 17" wheels and no blocks... having said that I'll have to measure to verify. That is red neck measurin, leaning over the bed sides to open the cooler which gets less accurate over time ;)

dscofever 02-24-2006 10:07 AM

1 - Skyjacker 2-1/2" leveling lift in front
2 - nothing to rear
3 - fox racing shocks in the front, FX4 rancho's in the back
4 - BFG 35" M/T
5 - Stock
6 - shop
6a - N/A
7 - Love the look, and it does wonders in the dirt...VERY smooth ride
8 - I will most likely change the rear shocks to Fox, and leave the front alone
9 - $727.14 installed and aligned (lift only, this does not include tires). Tires were ALOT more from another company

Bear Hunter 02-24-2006 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Antacus
My friend has an older 350 that he has a 5th wheel on. Right now my truck is right at the same height as his, maybe an 1" lower. He has 16" wheels and 2" blocks. I got 17" wheels and no blocks... having said that I'll have to measure to verify. That is red neck measurin, leaning over the bed sides to open the cooler which gets less accurate over time ;)

Yeah...wheel size really doesn't have anything to do with lift height...it's the size of the tires that adds to a suspension lift.

mein2xshp 02-27-2006 06:22 AM

Just want to let someone if they go an lift your SD don't do what i did, don't get the cheap one i found on e-bay (rough country) it works and looks good but the ride sucks. I am looking for another one to replace this in the spring. As far as shocks i still have the stock ones but have the dual Skyjacker steer stab, that i like, you get abolutely no shimmy or shake in the steering wheel when hitting the wonderful pot holes in the northeast. Anyway i hope some of this helped the next guy behind me making these beautiful trucks look even better.

marv02 02-27-2006 06:37 AM

stay away

Originally Posted by mein2xshp
Just want to let someone if they go an lift your SD don't do what i did, don't get the cheap one i found on e-bay (rough country) it works and looks good but the ride sucks. I am looking for another one to replace this in the spring. As far as shocks i still have the stock ones but have the dual Skyjacker steer stab, that i like, you get abolutely no shimmy or shake in the steering wheel when hitting the wonderful pot holes in the northeast. Anyway i hope some of this helped the next guy behind me making these beautiful trucks look even better.

I dont know what year you'r turck is mine is a 2002 with 5.4 stay away from Pro Comp It has a rough ride also I had other lift kits in the past that rode much better.

Before you change you'r springs try a higher end shock that will make a big diffrents in you ride, I am running Bilstiens Love the shocks, E-Bay is the place to get them $259.00 OTD.

One more thing as my spring get some age on them they are breaking in and giving a better ride not the best but better.

Square Grouper 03-04-2006 06:06 PM

Do lifts affect your warranty at all? I'm getting tired of the stock look and need something more aggressive.

Kadukoboy 03-05-2006 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Square Grouper
Do lifts affect your warranty at all? I'm getting tired of the stock look and need something more aggressive.

Yes...I've heard horror stories that dealerships will completely void the warranty (if they're arsses about it)

Mostly they won't warranty anything in regards to suspension, axles and possibly the transfer case

SoCalSuperDuty03 03-06-2006 01:56 AM

'03 SD Shortbed Crewcab 6.0

1-8" DR, Deaver springs
2-5" Deaver, 1" billet aluminum block
3-Fox Reservoirs, 11" front, 14" rears, Fox Damper
4-38x15.50x18 Toyo Open Country M/T's
5-4.30's, Detroit Locker
6-Self
7-Awesome quality, decent ride, handles excellent on the street or off road
8-Nothing
9-A Grip, even at Jobber or less

Tim

cangim 03-06-2006 05:56 AM

Look at it this way, if the dealer can blame the problem on the aftermarket parts, be suspension or power mods, then they are going to blame the parts and not warranty your rig, how far they stretch it, will depend on the dealer. If you get there at the start of a quarter when they are on a fresh budget for warranty repairs, you are less likely to get gruff, towards the end, when they are over budget, you bet they are going to try to get out of it if possible.

BFR250SD 03-06-2006 07:42 AM

STOP with the warranty debates!

This has happened a million times. Don't do it here! This thread is for info on the lift kits, not to have a warranty debate.

If that's what you want to do, DO A SEARCH! It has happened before and most have gotten locked.

Thanks,
BFR

Bruce F250 03-12-2006 08:48 AM

Ok guys I need some imput.

I just installed BFG/305s on MT Classic locks, on my 250. It looks so much better over the stock tires/wheels. However, Im getting a little rub at full lock. What do you recommend? F350 4 inch blocks and a leveling kit, a 2 inch lift, or a 4 inch lift? Im thinking 4 inch just incase I decide to go with bigger tires in the future.

marv02 03-12-2006 09:15 AM

Rubbing

Originally Posted by Bruce F250
Ok guys I need some imput.

I just installed BFG/305s on MT Classic locks, on my 250. It looks so much better over the stock tires/wheels. However, Im getting a little rub at full lock. What do you recommend? F350 4 inch blocks and a leveling kit, a 2 inch lift, or a 4 inch lift? Im thinking 4 inch just incase I decide to go with bigger tires in the future.

Bruce

Check you'r wheel off set if you have a 4X4 you should not rub with 305"s my 2002 f 250 4X4 have 315 on it with out a lift and yes they rubbed they still do with a 6 inch lift at full lock it's the wheel off set.

Bruce F250 03-12-2006 09:21 AM

I'll check it out. it would suk if i had to get different wheels. My 250 is 04. dont know if any different from 02

thanks

EnviroCon 03-12-2006 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by marv02
Bruce

Check you'r wheel off set if you have a 4X4 you should not rub with 305"s my 2002 f 250 4X4 have 315 on it with out a lift and yes they rubbed they still do with a 6 inch lift at full lock it's the wheel off set.

Marv's right if the rubbing is on anything but the fender or bumper. A lift will only move those 2 items out of the way. If it's rubbing on the springs then you have a couple of options. Get a wheel with less backspacing or drill and tap a hole in the wheel stop on the back of the hub. Then put a bolt in there and adjust it so the wheel doesn't hit the spring. Unfortunately, the bolt method also reduces the turning radius.

marv02 03-12-2006 10:26 AM

Off set

Originally Posted by Bruce F250
I'll check it out. it would suk if i had to get different wheels. My 250 is 04. dont know if any different from 02

thanks

I read some where In this form that the truck needs some thing like a 4.25 or 4.50 back space off set I just been living with the tire rubbing just turn lock to lock then once agian how offen do you turn lock to lock.

Living with the noise is lot cheeper than new wheels.

Bruce F250 03-12-2006 10:30 AM

its only rubbing on the plastic shroud in the well.

EnviroCon 03-12-2006 10:39 AM

Well then. A leveling kit and a 2" kit are pretty much the same. A 4"-4.5" spring hanger kit is a good way to go if you want to keep the stock spring ride and think you may want to go higher in the future. But a leveling kit is much cheaper and easier to install. Either of these kits will solve your rubbing problem.

PowerstrokeJunkie 03-12-2006 05:17 PM

well guy's, heres my story. i also posted a new thread "for those of you with 4'' lifts"

i have a f-350, that i put a leveling kit on and now it sits level. i have new 33' tires, and i want to go higher. my neighbor and friend both have procomp 4'' lifts. i have researched all weekend, and am going with Donahoe's 4.5'' shackle drop lift, with 5100 bilsteins. i am eventually going to get 35'' tires to fill the wheelwells. i also am going with dual steering stabilizers, but single shocks. so far, the cheapest i have found (excluding the steering stabilizers), is $1145. is this a good price? seems like alot, for no springs included. my truck sits about 1'' lower in the front, so i am thinking i can get the 4.5'' front lift and get 4'' blocks to level the back. when they say "4'' blocks" on the rear, my F-350 already has 4'' stock blocks. so is the new one a 8'' block, or one that you stack ontop of the stock block? thanks guys.

Ten_Bucks 03-13-2006 05:00 PM

On my old '01 F350, I started out with the Fabtech 5.5" lift. I found out the hard way that the springs on that lift are designed to settle, making it roughly a 4.5" lift. So, a few months later, I removed that lift and put on the Superlift 6" select series setup. Tires were 37x13.50-17 on 17x9 wheels. With the Fabtech lift, the tallest tire I could fit without fender trimming or a body lift was a 35x12.50. I never had any problems with the Superlift setup at all on that truck.

RobsRedFord 04-06-2006 02:46 AM

1 - Tough or Tuff Country 2 1/2 " leveling spring pack
2 - Stock F350 Blocks
3 - Ranchos.don't emember #
4 - Nitto Terra Grapplers 325/65/18 on 18x9
5 - stock 3.73 great on interstate which is where I drive alott would you go to
6 - Self install
6a - Easy as falling off a log, Lotsa folks said would not fit
7 - Great
8 - Would like to but rear load leveling air bags cause I have 100 gallon tank in rear and truck sits perfect with tank empty but settles bout 1/2 inch when full
9 - less than 300 if I remember correctly

STGFordCrazy04 04-14-2006 06:36 PM

Ive got Dick Cepek 315 65 16 on stock rims and stock lift and 3.73 gears. I like it a lot and dont see why people say they need a 4" lift to clear 35s. My tires only rub when I turn hard right and back up. It rubs the leaf springs so nothing damaging and doesnt seem to wear on the tires after 25,000 miles. I love the fun country tires. Would buy another set. With this in mind could I put 37s on with a 4 in lift? say 37x13.50 or 14.50? I will be adding 16x10 rims also. I really like the way the Harley truck looks with the 38s and the 8in lift but Im spending all my $$ on my 79 project. Some help please.

sandratt 04-15-2006 10:27 PM

My previous Ford.

1 Pro comp lift
2 pro comp extremes 37'
3 fox shocks, dual on front
4 I bought the truck with 13000 miles that way. It had been a repo. I guess the previous owner put all his/her money into the truck vs the payments.... LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/P7060013.jpg

Image changed to link. -Beast12