Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Water Pump question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1502995-water-pump-question.html)

ALBUQ F-1 08-14-2017 04:45 PM

That whitish appearance on the end plugs could well be from water. Cylinders with water intrusion look cleaner than normal ("steam cleaned").

It just occurred to me, we haven't suggested a compression test!

49f3dls 08-14-2017 04:50 PM

Ross - shows you what I know - I thought 3 & 4 would be the problem -- the 1,2,5 &6 are really grey. I'll see if I can see anything in the cyclinders but don't really know wht I'm looking for. I'll let you know dls

49f3dls 08-15-2017 11:35 AM

R & R O R S (Ray & Ross Online Repair Shop)
Climbed up on the engine and tried to look into the cyclinders -(that had to be a sight!) and with my progressive lens glassses saw absolutely nothing!
Put the plugs back in (cleaned and regapped first) filled the raditor, hooked up the overflow hose to a bucket, started it and waited. The temp gage climb to 180 after a long time (just at an idle so understandable) climbed a little higher and the therm opened as temp went back down and water appeared in the bucket! I gave it some gas and very quickly the water turned to steam (most likely why I could not see it while driving).
So R & R what do I do next - Water pump? head gasket? or ??????
Thanks Ray & Ross I appreciate your help.

raytasch 08-15-2017 12:01 PM

How much water did it throw into the bucket, Dave? Ross mentioned a compression test. Do you have a gauge?

49f3dls 08-15-2017 12:10 PM

About a half gallon. I turned it off and it stopped very quickly. I have a guage in a box or can get one. I doubt it's compression only because it runs so smoothly and I was doing 60 mph when it first happened ( the temp gauge going up) and still had more power if that means anything. I can give it a try.

49f3dls 08-15-2017 12:15 PM

Ray / Ross it cooled off some -still a little warm - I took hold of the fan blades ( I remembered to turn it off first) and it move side to side a small amount-- by that I mean the tip of the blade moved maybe 1/4- 1/2 inch plus there was a slight click when I did that. Again I don't know if that means anything Dave S

ALBUQ F-1 08-15-2017 12:46 PM

I would do the compression test, it's pretty easy. If you've got a new WP on the way, it can't hurt to pull the old one. Is the fan on the WP shaft? It sounds like your WP may be close to dead, whether that's the problem or not.

49f3dls 08-15-2017 01:09 PM

Hi Ross yes the water pump is on the fan shaft. I'll get a compression gauge either out of storage or a new one and do the test. I haven't ordered the pump yet and was waiting until other possible solutions were tried. I assume the compression test will tell us (notice I said us as you and Ray are an important part of this repair) if the head gasket is ok or a stuck valve bad rings??

raytasch 08-15-2017 01:20 PM

If the problem showed up suddenly, where the water pump is not moving water, my SWAG is it tossed the impeller. With the belt loose, you should feel very little to no play in the shaft. In the interest of getting the cooling system cleaned, I would remove the thermostat and use some cleaner in the system.
Plan on a new thermostat.

49f3dls 08-15-2017 01:54 PM

Hi Ray. I'll do the compression test, then loosen the belt and check fan. I'm going to order the pump so I at least have it available. I'll let you and Ross know what happens. Thanks again or yet Dave S

49f3dls 08-16-2017 09:55 AM

Hi guys - no progress today as my back is too sore to do any work. In the recliner being waited on by my better half. I may get use to this. Dls

49f3dls 08-17-2017 11:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. Did not do compression test as I can't find miy tester and the 2 auto stores near me don't have any in stock. Pulled water pump. When I took fan off the cup below the shaft was full of water. I didn't spill any. Took the pump apart impeller looks ok but very hard to spin.

49f3dls 08-18-2017 12:15 PM

Ray & Ross are pretty damn smart figuring out a problem even on line!
Did the compression test and 2 cylinders were zero. Gasket ? Valve? Time will tell when I tear it down soon.

38 coupe 08-19-2017 06:48 AM

Sounds like you have a blown head gasket between those 2 cylinders. Time to pull the head. Please post pictures of what you find.

49f3dls 08-19-2017 03:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the head off blown gasket between 3&4. Ross & Ray hit the nail on the head. Great guys to know and respect their knowledge. Two of the nicest guys you will ever meet and are not afraid to help you out.

38 coupe 08-19-2017 03:43 PM

That also explains the fouled spark plugs in holes 3 & 4.

abe 08-19-2017 06:32 PM

Wow! Three cheers for Ross and Ray! And some reps too!

49f3dls 08-27-2017 07:16 PM

It's fixed! The "R&R OLRS" (Ray & Ross ( or Ross & Ray) OnLine Repair Shop) deserves all the reps I can give them. The head gasket was the problem. Got a new one which the mail lady decided it should be stuffed in the mail box and destroyed it. Got another one sent FedEx so it arrived ok. Put it in today. Compression test shows one cylinder low but that's life.
Both Ross and Ray gave me step by step instructions to figure out what was wrong (both said head gasket right off) but still walked me thru it. Told me what was the best sealer/gasket maker to use. How to clean the head bolt holes with a chaser not a thread device and what anti seize bolt sealer to get. They were patient with my stupid questions and never hesitated to explain what and or why. I've had the pleasure of meeting both of these guys at Truckstock get togethers and have enjoyed their stories, knowledge and willingness to help others. If you get the opportunity to meet them don't hesitate you will really enjoy the time spent. Again thank you. I feel I just can't say that enough to the two of you Dave S

abe 08-27-2017 09:16 PM

R & R are two good guys!