Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   To buy or not to buy.....an RV (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1327624-to-buy-or-not-to-buy-an-rv.html)

bridge 07-29-2014 01:19 PM

We generally don't watch too much TV but, with 2 small kids it's gonna happen sometimes. And then there's football season. Can't miss the Texan's game no matter where we are.

pacnorwest 07-29-2014 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by IronCobra (Post 14539329)
I've included a poll to ask some questions about RVing from current owners, regardless of fifth wheel, travel trailer, or motor home.

You left out truck campers. We've spent as much as 5-months on the road with ours.
After we got home, after four weeks, the wife says "When are we going camping again?"

There is no ROI on an RV in my opinion.
It's like buying an expensive meal. . .you enjoy it for what it is.
But it is important to make the "right" choice when choosing an RV.

Don't forget the "meals" when comparing camping to staying in rented lodging.
With an RV we tend to eat healthier and far cheaper than restaurant food.

wingedone 07-30-2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Leonandlisa (Post 14539384)
We don't regret our decision, but we did it for family fun, not for a wise investment.

Same for us.

We have been RV'ing since we were married in 84. Popups, 5ths and a TT. I RV'd with my parents before that.

I wouldn't buy if I wasn't sure we would use it and enjoy it. The costs can be huge. My wife likes camping even more than I do, so keep her happy.

This question is sort of like motorcycling. You can try and figure costs, how much you will save by using a bike. But if you don't like it, are not comfortable with it, stay out.

jdadamsjr 07-30-2014 08:22 AM

Rather not say how long I've been doing this thing :)
sleeping bags under the sky, UPGRADED to tents, converted vans, popups, class c, class a, tt, 5er's.... have done them all, with kids, grandkids, and without .

Up until this one they've all been more or less trouble free and a BALL !
Actually would full time in a heart beat...

BUT, this brand new, custom ordered, EXPENSIVE one is the best looking one in the parks, but the worst of the lot, and when it comes time for an attorney, the fun stops...

so pick wisely and be careful trusting the fan-boys on the internet that think their mfg is the best :)

thomabb 07-30-2014 08:29 AM

We were conflicted about buying a camper. We were not sure if we would use it enough to justify the expense. I see lots of campers, big and small, that never seem to move out of the driveway. Our neighbor has a camper parked beside his house that I have not seen move in over 10 years.

A friend approached us with an older 5th wheel he was looking to get out of cheap. We decided this would be a good opportunity for us to see if we were RV people. There was a seasonal lot in a small park where I like to fish about 2 hours from the house, so we set it up there as a fish camp.

Turns out, we are RV people. Keeping it set up on a seasonal site, we are able to use it almost every weekend in the summer with not a whole lot of cost. We have since upgraded to a newer unit so we can do some travelling. We have also used it as a guest house for when out of town family comes to visit, which saves on hotel rooms that my wife would have insisted on paying for.

If you think you may use it once or possibly twice a year, you may regret buying a $50k rig. Find ways to use it as often as you can. The more you use it, the better you will feel about your 'investment'.