Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum146/)
-   -   Any Help Building a Hydro Blue Oval (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/949973-any-help-building-a-hydro-blue-oval.html)

truckerboy 08-22-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by monckywrench (Post 9246218)
You can either have a good steam system or an abortion slapped together out of junk.

If you want a good steam system, build and test it on a skid first so you can dyno it and make changes easily.

You will need to weld the boiler to appropriate code so you don't kill bystanders. That's a lot of stored energy wanting to get out, so think in terms of stainless steel, TIG welding, and having the fitting and welding done by a professional. This will not be cheap. You will need to become a machinist or pay one, become a certified weldor or pay one, and scrounge proper materials or buy them.

You will have years of study and work to do , since you are starting from scratch.

There is an impressive amount of steam engine information in the Prelinger Internet Archive. In particular, books on railroad shop practice. Locomotives were high-tech vehicles and quite sophisticated. There is no point in trying to invent blindly when steam was a very mature technology and well-documented.

If you can make it work it will be worth it for what you learn, not for the engine itself. Good luck.

Why is it that yall always just assume that everyone else is an idiot?

[/quote]If you can make it work it will be worth it for what you learn, not for the engine itself. Good luck[/quote] if you aint got something constructive, stay off my post!!

monckywrench 08-22-2010 01:49 PM

Why is it that yall always just assume that everyone else is an idiot?
Nothing in my post assumed that. "Idiocy" and "not necessarily knowing what you are in for" are completely different. You have zero reason to be angry.

This:

thats basically it. i know it can be done, its been done before, but im not sure how to make it work cleanly.

well, not put one in, but convert a 400 cid to run on steam power.
indicates you DO have a bunch of work to do and don't really know how to get the result you want.

Asking on a truck forum instead of on industrial engineering forums and AWS (American Welding Society) forums suggests you need to learn about those resources. That in absolutely no way is an insult, so get over it. You came here asking for assistance and that's exactly what you are getting.

Don't get mad, just take the time to make sure you do it safely. Steam is dangerous, and don't assume you know how dangerous unless you deal with it professionally or have access to someone who does.

nitrogen 08-23-2010 06:40 AM

monkey has some great info sources there. and prob a few guys on there that are trying to do the same thing,who will be able to help you much more specifically. if i recall right back in the late 60's, early 70's Bill Lear was working on a steam car for indy. i think he may have had a running prototype. do a search for that and you will see how compact a boiler and steam engine can be. as far as danger think about the number of Mississippi steamers that blew up. generally it destroyed the whole vessel and terribly scaled those few who survived. so hey if something happens to a homemade steam pickup, you prob don't need to worry much about surviving. what monkey was getting at i think, is that you really, really want to get the boiler and engine right the first time, or test it remotely in a safe location

monckywrench 08-23-2010 06:34 PM

The Lear had a VERY slick compact engine:

So decrees Bill Lear of Lear Jet fame, who is building - 02.03.69 - SI Vault

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Napier Deltic for reference:
Napier Deltic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These guys ought to be of help. Check out the .pdf on their steam land speed record vehicle. You might ask about the powerplant.

Steam Automobile Club of America -- A club dedicated to the preservation of steam automobiles.

Prelinger search result example:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Atexts