Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   MPG's / so many for sale (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/809860-mpgs-so-many-for-sale.html)

gvdcpa 01-28-2009 02:24 PM

I purchased a 2008 Expedition EL Ltd 4x4 in 10/08 and have put approximately 28,700 miles on it. We have taken several trips from Mobile, AL to Atlanta, Tuscaloosa and Orlando in it. My best mileage for a tank of gas (all hand calculated) is 18.25 mpg, the worst is 9.55 mpg. On trips, when driving 60 - 65 mph, we have gotten close to 21 mpg (per computer), most other trips are averaging 75 mph and get and average of 17+ mpg. Alot of my normal driving is short in town, back and forth to work, type driving which kills fuel economy. Most in town driving is in the 12 - 14.5 mpg range.

We also sometimes haul a 26' Pursuit with twins on the back which challenges fuel economy as well.

Still, it is significantly better than my 1999 EB Expedition. I am completely satisfied.

tseekins 01-28-2009 03:36 PM

Regardless of what anyone says, I believe the new generation Expy's are getting better overall MPG than the first generation models did. My '04 is getting 19-21 on the hwy. I don't even bother to check city mileage anymore because it sucks.

Funny thing is, we have short memories. Fuel could potentially get very expensive again and we'll all be crying the blues.

Tim

gddyup 02-23-2009 10:19 PM

I bought an 07 Expy Limited EL used with 14k on the clock about 3 weeks ago. With only one full tank through it so far, the only thing I can say about MPG is that it's better than my 03 F150 Supercrew that I traded in. The only numbers I can throw into the mix are the ones off my info center which reads out around 11.5-12.5 mpg. I havent burned enough dino-juice yet to really get a good reading on mpg.

But if I was so concerned about it, I wouldn't have bought it. I would have bought a Civic. :-drink

tirnaog 02-24-2009 02:55 PM

Heres my #s

Lowest I have seen is 13.
Highest is 20.

That would be on a 40/44 mile trip to work.
50% highway, 50% roads with bloody traffic lights :)

In 2wd.
Compared to my old Dodge Ram crewcab 4x4 pickup, its not bad at all.
I am quite pleased with it for the size of truck it is.

:)

benshere 03-01-2009 09:45 AM

I have had my 07 EL EB for about 3k and am beginning to notice some things that greatly affect the MPG's. I have not done the actual figures, just the electronic version. Between wife, hauling grands and myself, have not been able to co-ordinate a good plan to record anything! ~20+ on trips, and 13 to ~16 local MPG.

The biggest factor, is how I drive around town. You cannot try to outrun the guy next to you, if you plan on any MPG at all. Thats been known for years--. I find it easier to let the soccer moms in the minis just run on away when I am in this thing---big effect on mileage.

Idling seems to just KILL the figures----. Also, the time from cranking until good warmup is really a killer---and I am in Central FL. Anyone in colder (or much colder) temps must really suffer. I dont know if any parameters for cold startup can be changed, but it seems the mixture must be considerably richer for that.

In disagreement with some others, I believe that for most drivers, the 5.4 is PLENTY of power. The lower 2 gears are the difference. Its what detroit should have done years ago, a smaller engine with more gears. I understand that heavy towing in mountains may need more engine----I have towed 7-8K trailers myself. Unfortunately, some people think its a reflection on manhood to drop below 70 MPH on a steep grade, towing a heavy boat or trailer.

For MOST town driving, 2 gear takeoff would work very well. One thing I wish I could change is a driving/towing mode for the tranny where 1st could be locked out.

Sorry for long-----my 02 anyway:)

berry1234 03-01-2009 10:22 AM

Took a 600 mile trip to Vegas. Averaging 75-80mph no a/c I got 19.8mpg. They do really good on the freeway with a constant speed. Getting the 6000 pound beast up to speed really kills the mpg.

scottm1 03-14-2009 04:58 PM

I too have an 08 Expedition with 20,000 miles that gets anywhere between 13-20 mpg. I was wondering if anyone has ever used synthetic motor oil in their 07-09 Expedition and compared the fuel economy between synthyetic and dino oil? I am thinking of trying it unless someone has already tried it and tells me it made no difference. Anybody?

berry1234 03-14-2009 11:07 PM

It comes with Ford semi-synthetic so I don't think there will be much dif. in mileage.

thinksnow 03-15-2009 07:10 AM

Well I ended up buying an 07 Limited. We really love the truck although the gas mileage has been less then stellar. Im averaging about 14 around town and the best of seen is 16.4 highway (the computer reading). I haven't done a real long road trip with it yet. When I do I will hand calculate it as well. This should give me my true highway mileage. My wife likes to stomp on the pedal which Im sure isn't helping. Im going to order an SCT X3 tuner for it. I was going to get it with custom tunes from 5 star tuning. A couple of guys on the F150 forums recommended them. I should be able to squeeze a couple MPG's with that.

berry1234 03-15-2009 10:56 AM

Most here can get close to 20mpg on the freeway. If you 'stomp' on it a tuner isn't going to help much.

rambuck 03-15-2009 11:30 AM

It is because people are realizing they don't need a suburban or expedition to haul 2 kids and the groceries home. People that don't need these vehicles think they do, and it p***es me off, especially having to go through Carmel, Indiana a lot. Also they are scared because the EPA says they are bad on gas and bad for the environment.

That is why I do not like the EPA. I believe that they are VERY bias and untrue. I have hauled a steel 3 horse bumper pull trailer with 2 horses and all the tack in the world in it and got the MPG the EPA said when it is completely empty. Go figure. Honestly, go with what you get and be happy. Generally you will get better than EPA figures.

benshere 03-15-2009 12:34 PM

:-X22

I have to agree with rambuck :) Even back when I got my 460 ford van, checking mileage was only done occasionally (very occasionally!) It was what it was ! I hauled boats, travel trailers kids and assorted "stuff" I would have gotten a "yugo" (pun intended) for driving to work, except that the auto insurance laws do not support extra vehicles for mileage considerations. You can buy a lot of fuel for what the insurance companies charge for that 3rd vehicle in the driveway---undriven!! And they still do it :mad:

Same for my 93 5.8 bronco---same for my boats, it is what it is. Fuel is an acceptable cost for the entertainment value for our familys.

I especially agree with the point of driving unneeded size and power. Dont get me wrong, I love power and performance, but it time to be wise about it. I really get pizzed when some "Sport" passes me on the interstate---doing ~80-85 in a long wheel base, crew cab, dually, turbo diesel, with "stacks" and is by himself and maybe a coleman lunch cooler on one of the many seats in that rig. Also a "Soccer Mom" in an expy, excursion, denali, surburban etc, loading up a gallon of milk, by herself.

Guess its time for me to find a deserted island and move to it :-X05. At least I can blame it on age.

thinksnow 03-15-2009 01:02 PM

I agree to a point. I have a crew cab F250 diesel long bed, sorry no stacks. So I don't really need the Expy to perform as a truck. We came out of a Volvo XC90 which was a great vehicle. The problem we ran into is we have 2 kids still in child seats which take up the second row so we had to put up the third row. When the third row is up the storage capacity for everything else (double stroller, etc.) is just about gone. All the car manufacturers are offering 3rd row seating now a days but they all fail to tell you is that if you use it you will lose almost all of your cargo area.

This left us with 3 options; fullsize van, mini-van or a full size extended SUV (Expy EL, Suburban.) Well I can't stand full size vans and you have to special order them to get a 4x4 = $$$, so that eliminates the full size van. My wife does not like mini-van at all. Several of her friends have them but she just doesn't care for them. She says she feels safer in the Expy. Lastly I am large fella (6'1", 300lbs) and I'm very comfortable in the Expy EL.

poppie 03-15-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by rambuck (Post 7264434)
It is because people are realizing they don't need a suburban or expedition to haul 2 kids and the groceries home. People that don't need these vehicles think they do, and it p***es me off, especially having to go through Carmel, Indiana a lot. Also they are scared because the EPA says they are bad on gas and bad for the environment.

That is why I do not like the EPA. I believe that they are VERY bias and untrue. I have hauled a steel 3 horse bumper pull trailer with 2 horses and all the tack in the world in it and got the MPG the EPA said when it is completely empty. Go figure. Honestly, go with what you get and be happy. Generally you will get better than EPA figures.

---------------- the EPA says they are bad on gas [and bad for the environment.]------tell the EPA to go fly a kite,see this graph of ice core sample's going back 400,000 year's,seem's about every 65-70,000 year's earth goes through a warm up,cool off cycle,the blue line, and the Co2 level's follow it,the green line , FYI, one cycle is longer than man has been on earth!!!! and this graph show's 4 cycle's , we have global warming but it's "NOT ALL" man made,see the graph here, File:Vostok-ice-core-petit.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , as they say,follow the money,right to Al Gore's carbon credit scam,don't think so,you folk's on coal fired electric plant's will be singing a new song when the carbon credit thing kick's in,you may be paying .10-.12 cent's a Kwh now,I have a "cold beer" that say's you will be over .20 cent's in the end if your electric come's from coal,that is if we can afford the electric for the beer cooler!!!!!.

rambuck 03-15-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by poppie (Post 7265538)
---------------- the EPA says they are bad on gas [and bad for the environment.]------tell the EPA to go fly a kite,see this graph of ice core sample's going back 400,000 year's,seem's about every 65-70,000 year's earth goes through a warm up,cool off cycle,the blue line, and the Co2 level's follow it,the green line , FYI, one cycle is longer than man has been on earth!!!! and this graph show's 4 cycle's , we have global warming but it's "NOT ALL" man made,see the graph here, File:Vostok-ice-core-petit.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , as they say,follow the money,right to Al Gore's carbon credit scam,don't think so,you folk's on coal fired electric plant's will be singing a new song when the carbon credit thing kick's in,you may be paying .10-.12 cent's a Kwh now,I have a "cold beer" that say's you will be over .20 cent's in the end if your electric come's from coal,that is if we can afford the electric for the beer cooler!!!!!.

Thank you!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Take that straight to Al *****.