Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Trailer hitch welded or bolted? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/616617-trailer-hitch-welded-or-bolted.html)

bigrigfixer 05-29-2007 12:52 AM

My spare is tight in there, but at the frame sides. It fits fine at the curved part. Anyway, my spare is on a cable that winches up and down. It's not on a carrier in the traditional sense. I use the jack hardware that is stowed inside the cab to lower the spare.

Benaghetto 05-29-2007 12:58 AM

I was only saying that I may end up doing it since I'm going to get a roll pan in place of the rear bumper and dont want the hitch to stick out like a sore thumb. So the only reason I have to relocate the spare is to move the hitch foreward on the frame a couple inches.

On your truck you probably have the cable hung spare being a 2000. My truck's spare is held up by a small framed assembly that's riveted to the frame on the front of it.

cadriver 05-29-2007 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
My spare is tight in there, but at the frame sides. It fits fine at the curved part. Anyway, my spare is on a cable that winches up and down. It's not on a carrier in the traditional sense. I use the jack hardware that is stowed inside the cab to lower the spare.

My spare works the same way with the cable, My truck is same as yours except mine is a 2000 model 5spd manual.
The only thing I want is to be able to lower and retrieve the spare without
having to worry about the hitch been in the way of the spare when lowering it to the ground.

cadriver 05-29-2007 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Benaghetto
I was only saying that I may end up doing it since I'm going to get a roll pan in place of the rear bumper and dont want the hitch to stick out like a sore thumb. So the only reason I have to relocate the spare is to move the hitch foreward on the frame a couple inches.

On your truck you probably have the cable hung spare being a 2000. My truck's spare is held up by a small framed assembly that's riveted to the frame on the front of it.

OK got it!
So I guess doesn't matter what kind I get if curved or straight, neither will block the spare, right?

Waves 05-29-2007 06:58 AM

Mine worked fine with my spare on my 2001, on my 93', that had a difrent type of spare tire carrier, the spare tire carrier had to be very slightly "adjusted" with a big ol' pry bar in order for the spare tire to clear the back of the hitch when being lowered. Again - HAVE THE HITCH INSTALLER PROVE IT TO YOU AFTER THE INSTALL. Trust me when I say you will not be the first person to have asked them to do this. If it has any issues - they will have to fix or adjust your spare tire carrier until you are satisfied. Do not pay until you know you can remove your spare tire without any interference, tell them what you expect before hand, and that you will absolutely not pay until they show you that you can remove your spare without any interference from the receiver hitch -

cadriver 05-29-2007 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waves
Mine worked fine with my spare on my 2001, on my 93', that had a difrent type of spare tire carrier, the spare tire carrier had to be very slightly "adjusted" with a big ol' pry bar in order for the spare tire to clear the back of the hitch when being lowered. Again - HAVE THE HITCH INSTALLER PROVE IT TO YOU AFTER THE INSTALL. Trust me when I say you will not be the first person to have asked them to do this. If it has any issues - they will have to fix or adjust your spare tire carrier until you are satisfied. Do not pay until you know you can remove your spare tire without any interference, tell them what you expect before hand, and that you will absolutely not pay until they show you that you can remove your spare without any interference from the receiver hitch -

That's the problem!
I'm the one who's going to install it that's why I need to make sure I buy the right hitch for the truck.
Thanks.

Waves 05-29-2007 11:41 PM

Ok so just check it and adjust as needed, what am I missing here? If you truck has the type of spare carrier that pivots down and then releases from the mechanism, the guy who "adjusted" mine on my old ranger just used a big pry bar, if it's the other type of carrier - the cable type attachment that just lowers, the only "adjustment" would be to lower and raise it moved over a little....guess you could just stick it up there with a couple of loose bolts before you bolt it on and check..????

Benaghetto 05-30-2007 12:02 AM

To be honest there's no need for worry with your truck. Mine with the arm I might, but more then likely not. The hitch wont interfere at all if its designed for the truck. The bed, frame, and spare havent changed sine 1993!! Well with the exception of the spare carrier, but thats for me to worry about and not you! You'll install just fine and we'll be awaiting the finished results and thoughts of your process.

BTW I won the auction I was watching! Got me a Hidden Hitch with 2 reciever pieces and a 2" ball for $70 plus $30 shipping. If you're curous here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0119028&rd=1,1

cadriver 05-30-2007 01:13 AM

=Benaghetto]
BTW I won the auction I was watching! Got me a Hidden Hitch with 2 reciever pieces and a 2" ball for $70 plus $30 shipping. If you're curous here it is:
That's a good one and a good deal, I don't see what year Ranger is this hitch for, let's hope it works for you truck.

Benaghetto 05-30-2007 09:25 PM

This is straight off the hidden hitch fit guide. The model number of the acution hitch is 87161. I don't think I'll have a problem. :-X22 This also will show you how trouble free your install ought to be, 30 mins is all it shows. EASY EASY! <table align="center" bgcolor="#c0c0c0" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="460"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"><td valign="bottom">
Ranger Pickup
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">

Year 83-85</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">Model 87161</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">Instal time 30</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">86-92</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">87161</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">30</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">93</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">87161</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">30</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">94-98</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">87161</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">30</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">99</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">70181</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">10</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">99</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">87161</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">30</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">00-03</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">70181</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">10</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">00-03</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">87161</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">30</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">04-07</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">70181</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">10</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> <td valign="bottom">
</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">04-07</td> <td valign="bottom" width="50">87161</td> <td align="center" valign="bottom" width="40">30</td></tr></tbody> </table>

racsan 06-01-2007 10:04 PM

here's my rig. the spare was underneath, but i moved it to inside the box, a little easier to get to, and it also fits the trailer, wouldnt want to try and remove it hooked up to the trailer. https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l...vesfile005.jpg

Benaghetto 06-02-2007 01:40 AM

I recieved the hitch I won off of ebay today and installed tonight. It however took me about an hour or 2 cuz of dinner and taking my time. An air impact made it a breeze for the most part, but the fact that I did it by myself and I had to juggle/balance the hitch and bumper on my chest for the install nearly made it a PITA. It wasnt unbearable though. Especially for getting such a deal on this hitch. I'll get some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested.