Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Need help.... My truck is still chugging. It's got to stop or it's going up for sale. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/549307-need-help-my-truck-is-still-chugging-its-got-to-stop-or-its-going-up-for-sale.html)

John7894 11-21-2006 09:08 AM

Thanks guys. I hate to tear into it but I guess I'll have to. Any idea of Ford sells just a CPS repair harness?

Also, Kwik, what do you think about this link? I came across it last night. Does this sound like something it could be?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ower-help.html

Also, I read where if it cranks and starts it's chugging to unplug the ICP sensor to see if it smooths out. If it does then the ICP is bad. Make sense?

Uzumati 11-21-2006 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by John7894
Any idea of Ford sells just a CPS repair harness?

See post 15

Unplugging the ICP puts the truck in "Default Mode" it does not mean the icp is bad but that you need to mechanically monitor oil rail pressure and compare it to the ICP reading to determin if it is an IPR or ICP issue

John7894 11-21-2006 09:52 AM

Thanks Alan. Does the CPS harness use the same part number as the CPS and just add a suffix at the end? Is that what I'm looking for there?

Regarding the ICP/IPR question. Would it be just a matter of replacing the o-rings in the IPR and replacing the ICP? That seems like a cheap enough option to try. I can get a new ICP from ebay for $55 and the IPR rebuild kit seems less than $20.

When I pull the VC's are the gaskets re-useable? If not, who has some good replacements?

John7894 11-21-2006 10:09 AM

Alan,

I broke the clip off on the CPS last night. The terminals looked clean from what I could see.

Uzumati 11-21-2006 10:20 AM

The VC Gaskets are reusable but with your issues I think I would plan on replacing them just to get the new connector (International has them pretty cheap). On the ICP/IPR For that price why not, But keep in mind that if they dont solve the problem we will still need to get a mechanical gauge in the oil rail.

pullinair 11-21-2006 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by amiller93
there are still 2 quik connects on the engine side of the pump that can draw air.

Amiller, i just want to make sure i'm not misinformed. Frrom prior posts i learned that the quick dis-connect's on the engine side of the pump are pressurized thus creating a good tight seal like they were designed. On the tank side of the pump there is a suction from the pump created, and the quick disconnects do not create a seal becuase they are designed to seal under pressure not suction. Am i correct? I've done the pre-pump mod and am happy with it, as long as i keep it over 1/4 tamk.

Uzumati 11-21-2006 04:29 PM

The are pressurized and generally seal well as long as they are in good condition. I just prefer to eliminate the possibility because i have seen them leak (Abused Truck) and where fuel can get out air can get in.

John7894 11-22-2006 12:17 PM

Alright guys. Here's an update. Truck hasn't been started since Tuesday night. I was going to work on it yesterday but ended up going out on a boat for work instead.

I just started it up. It chugged and shut off. I pulled the EBPV plug. Same thing. I restarted and pulled the ICP plug. It still chugged, but not as bad. What I didn't do (I wasn't thinking, just woke up) was check the HPOP level and fuel bowl level.

After just doing my little diagnosis here's what I've come up with.

1) Low HPOP level problem causing the chugging. Supposedly, pulling the ICP plug will make it revert to a default setting. I assume this default setting will make it idle normal and smooth? Mine did not idle smooth indicating a true HPOP oil pressure problem. Maybe my drainback valve is faulty?

2) Low fuel level and/or weak pump causing a low fuel pressure problem. Still could have air intrusion though.

3) Still might have a wire harness issue. I'll check the easiest places on it today and pull the covers this weekend.

Alan, I can't make heads or tails of the wire harness repair chart you posted. i called the dealer and was told that I would have to buy the entire engine harness to the tune of 600 bucks! Any ideas on how those part numbers cross over to sensor connectors.

Thanks again for the help. I'll get it fixed sooner or later...............

Uzumati 11-22-2006 01:54 PM

If the under valve cover inspecton goes OK I would like to get a mechanical gauge in the HP Oil rail before you go any further. If we dont start following through and completeing some test (instead of just the try this mode) so we can rule out some systems we will never figure this out. Dont buy the harness i'll get you the part number. BTW: from our sponsors they can be had for half that http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214072 or www.powerstrokeshop.com

John7894 11-22-2006 03:09 PM

After thinking about it some more i think it's got to be oil related. Last time I checked the HPOP level it was good. BUT, the weather was also warmer then too.

I'm thinking possibly a viscosity issue when cold or an oil drainback issue.

What range gauge will I need to get to stick in the rail?

I wasn't about to buy that harness. I just want the plug, or a plug with a few inches of wire on it so I can splice a new one on.....

Uzumati 11-22-2006 03:15 PM

John do you remember "match game" I have 5 pages of pictures of connectors I am working on posting with part numbers, should be done in a bit. The gauge will need to be rated at 3000+psi minimum, to be safe i like 4500psi rated gauges and hose

Uzumati 11-22-2006 03:25 PM

Try this John..... www.7point3.com/writeups/connector.pdf

John7894 11-22-2006 03:27 PM

Thanks Alan. Let me see if i can get a hose and gauge rounded up. Is it just going to connect to the plug on the rail where an HPX line would go?

Uzumati 11-22-2006 03:29 PM

Thats it. also be prepared to take a reading from both sides to compare balance.

I believe the CPS is page 1 Row 1 number 2. Double check me though its been a few months

John7894 11-22-2006 04:21 PM

Thanks Alan. I'll have to go out and pull the CPS plug off and compare it.