Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   max boost psi on 6.0L powerstroke? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/545644-max-boost-psi-on-6-0l-powerstroke.html)

stroker04 11-11-2006 03:42 PM

max boost on 6.0L

thanks to everyone for there replys, I do have a boost guage but its a digital guage that works from my PDA that come with the banks six gun. It records the highest boost level you reach that day. It plugs into the OBD port under the dash so, it may be reading high with the banks on setting 4 it will go over 35psi 36psi is the highest it ever run. when driving on flat road about 60-65 mph it will read between 5-8psi.

Thanks,
stroker04

npccpartsman 11-11-2006 03:55 PM

I think you're banks is a little off. Remember-- from the OBD port it's getting an inferred signal vs. an actual reading of a manual gauge. You could be just fine. Maybe you should find some way to verify by plumbing a manual pressure gauge and seeing the difference. I see virtually no boost at 65 mph. I might see 10 lbs cruising 75-80 (it's hard to find flat ground in this part of North Carolina). It may be normal for your truck (all are a tiny bit different) depending on options, etc. to have 5-8 lbs. just cruising at that speed.

SpartanDieselTech 11-11-2006 05:50 PM

:-banghead

npccpartsman 11-11-2006 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
:-banghead

Let me guess.......it's the motor paint right?......and the block wouldn't fit in your mom's oven???

SpartanDieselTech 11-11-2006 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Let me guess.......it's the motor paint right?......and the block wouldn't fit in your mom's oven???

I only have to bake the exhaust manifolds....I think your daughter took my comment the wrong way :-D

And no, sadly its not the block paint :rolleyes:

npccpartsman 11-11-2006 06:04 PM

And yes, I know it's a Banks system.......it's been slow today.......what more do you want me to say????? :-missingt :-missingt :-missingt

BowTieHatr 11-11-2006 08:05 PM

yall better not say that around gale!!!! lol

PA 6.0 STROKER 11-11-2006 08:10 PM

I think the tech told me 26psi is because any time the boost is getting close to or over 30psi it could cause damage. I have had mine up to 30psi with my edge module while pulling hills when my engine light came on I said its time to return to stock. As far as the module is consurned . It never went above 25psi before the module. I would think that ford designed it that way so the tube blows off and avoid more expensive repairs on the engine. Obviously when ford designed the powertrain is was based on the stock numbers on the power of the engine. Yeah the engine might handle the extra power but when you add 100+HP more its just a matter of time untill the powertrain fails. Remember a chain (truck) is only as strong as its weakest link(part)! It was made to handle what the engine puts out (stock) some parts might not break but eventually something will happen if pushed to far. I'm just as guilty as the next diesel person when it comes to mods & xtra HP. It costs some $$$ to play. Also the boost gauge was not put in factory untill 2005 and I think is standard. Here a quick ? has anyone had the tube blow off and if so what was the boost at when it happened? :-X22

PeterT 11-15-2006 09:33 AM

A couple of points of clarification. The boost signal that is displayed on the PowerPDA is the signal that is coming from the MAP sensor that is mounted in the intake manifold of the engine. This is the sensor that the engine electronics is using for calibration, so it is a very accurate gauge, probably more accurate than most mechanical gauges. The signal is accessed through the OBDII port which is the same data that a Ford technician would use. All the data that is displayed on the PowerPDA is transmitted to the PDA through an infrared signal in the docking station. This has no affect on accuracy.

The Six-Gun is calibrated to maintain a safe turbo speed. This helps to keep boost levels in check. This of course assumes that the turbo is in proper working condition (not sticking). Most instances of sticking turbos that I am aware of result in boost levels around 50 PSI. If you follow the directions in the Six-Gun Owners Manual and do not exceed Level 4 while towing, you should be OK as far as the head gaskets are concerned. The intercooler might be a different story. The plastic end tanks are prone to failure.

Peter Treydte
Banks Power

dc3655 11-15-2006 04:48 PM

I've noticed this very issue between my stock '05 PSD and my bro-in-law's stock '06 PSD. Mine will never exceed 24psi (as per stock gauge) and my bro's will get up to 35-37 psi (as per stock gauge). We've pulled the same hills at different times pulling the same trailers and it's crazy the amount of power he has over my truck. His won't downshift, he has more power, and he generally is getting 2-4mpg better while doing it. To say the least I was blown away at the difference. So yeah, mine might be remaining at safer levels, but he kills me when it comes to towing. So I just thought I'd chime in with my experience on this subject.

RideRed05 11-15-2006 05:03 PM

dc3----,

Your '05 compared to a '06 (granted everything is the same, 4x4, f250, ect.) shouldn't show much of a difference in power or anything at that matter. Now if he has a chip or program and you don't then you would see a diff. Other than a different factory installed program (recall) then you should be comparable and i would say the '05 with a little edge being probably having more mile and break-in. If this is nto the case what so ever then i would be asking ford some questions. (try to fin someone else that has the same truck and see how theirs differs.

dc3655 11-15-2006 05:18 PM

RideRed05, Like I said, both of the trucks are stock and we purchased them new within 2 months of each other. The only difference that I can see is that his truck will boost a lot more, giving him more power which keeps him from downshifting as much as I do. I have seen other forums discuss this issue and many out there seem to notice most '05s and '06s generally max out their boost between 22-25. So it's just interesting that his will boost so much more than most which really gives him an upper hand in terms of power. I'm in the process of buying a new code scanner (with CAN this time) just to check the codes on both trucks to make sure neither are throwing any codes.

03KingRanchF250 11-15-2006 05:59 PM

After reading all the numbers im kinda puzzled. My truck without my tuner runs at about 20-22psi where as with the superchips flashpaq on performance runs 25psi. I have a 3 gauge pillar with autometer gauges and my boost gauge is hooked up via T fitting. Is it possible my gauge fittings are loosing air/boost and giving a false low reading or doesnt those numbers sound normal?

dc3655 11-15-2006 06:33 PM

IMHO, I think this is normal. Most of the tuner manufacturing companies are aware of the head gasket issue and they don't want to push the envelope too badly. On another forum, most with tuners were saying that they still weren't even near the 30 psi mark yet. Remember, tuners don't just get their power by adding boost, but also by altering the timing of the fuel delivery and increasing injector pressures. So you shouldn't see a huge increase in boost....or at least that's how I understand it and what I've seen others posting in the past. Maybe someone else will chime in with more knowledge on this subject than myself.

stroker04 11-15-2006 10:22 PM

Like I stated in my org. post my truck will hit 30psi plus with stock tune and with banks system on number 4 it will hit 35psi and 36 being the highest I have been. Just yesterday I was going to pick my girl up at school and with the tuner on stock and not really running it very hard it hit 29psi easy. I guess that some trucks make more boost then others. I just don't want to hurt the engine or intercooler. I would like to know what the limit is or should be. Thanks to all your replys to my question and keep that coming because you can not get to much infor. on these trucks.
Thanks,
stroker04