Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   Funny things people say to you about your truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/432352-funny-things-people-say-to-you-about-your-truck.html)

monsterbaby 11-22-2005 01:21 PM

Actually the manager of NAPA tells them "give him what he told you to get not what the book says"

But I do love it when I get a newbie that thinks he has to ask me all those stupid questions even when I tell him a part number that i will respond with yeah I need a whatever for a 460 in an 88 ranger 4x4 without AC, auto, PS, etc, and watch them mess with the stupid computor for 15 minutes until the manager walks up, looks at what they are pulling up (or trying to) laughs picks himself back up off the floor, looks at the piece of paper with the part number on it, and gives them the above quote.

KJKozak2 11-22-2005 01:24 PM

Some of my fav's:

"You can't go that way! There's no road!"
"Why are all the doors scraped up and where did your mirrors go?"
My wife keeps telling me "We PAID for a driveway, use it. Stop driving that THING up the front hill."
"How come you never wash your truck?"
"Do you ever take that off-road?"
"Is that 4 wheel drive?"

RICER BOY: "Wanna race?"
ME: "Sure. I'll even let you pick the corn field."

K.

thesprocket26 11-22-2005 04:12 PM

"Why are all the doors scraped up and where did your mirrors go?"
Nice. So true about the parts stores. I just give parts numbers now. My favorite is when people tell you it looks ugly or not very pretty. Guess what, I'm ugly on the inside too!

mustange70 11-22-2005 05:39 PM

A few of my favorites with either of my trucks are:

do you drive that to the mud bog (with the truck being unloaded not but 10minutes ago and still directly behind the trailer)?

Does that have a 350 in it?

So what year is your chev

Is that a dana 44 and 12bolt?

and the offers to buy my flareside do get annoying, but its nice to know its popular :).

Franken-Truck 11-22-2005 05:43 PM

"Wow, whats that god awful noise it just made?"
"Whats that smell?"

and then for the '78. . .
"And you plan on finishing it when!?"
"Just how much crap do you have to buy for it?"
"Why don't you get a 2wd ranger, you'll get better gas mileage."

As for the parts stores, I only go to Advance when I have a parts list (goes much quicker). . .and I stopped going to AutoZone when, get this, I had to explain too not only the 3 people working the registers, but the manager what thread pitch is :-roll

GreenSubmarine 11-22-2005 08:08 PM

Good stuff guys, especially the parts house stories. Lots of times I'll just say "let me see what you have." Then pick from the lot.

Also, I have a bad habit of talking about my green truck (to differentiate from my blue truck). However, there isn't any green sheet metal left on it, and hasn't been in over a year. So people look at a gray and silver truck, then look at me and shake their heads. Green? Huh?

Other faves:
"so when you gonna paint it?" when paint adds horsepower
"you need some chrome dude" like I need jock itch
"My friend's (insert other relation) truck is way badder than that"
and my personal favorite that I must have heard at least fifty times-
"Boy that thing pulls good for a 150" :-X14

alchymist 11-22-2005 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
"Wow, whats that god awful noise it just made?"
"Whats that smell?"

and then for the '78. . .
"And you plan on finishing it when!?"
"Just how much crap do you have to buy for it?"
"Why don't you get a 2wd ranger, you'll get better gas mileage."

As for the parts stores, I only go to Advance when I have a parts list (goes much quicker). . .and I stopped going to AutoZone when, get this, I had to explain too not only the 3 people working the registers, but the manager what thread pitch is :-roll

Ah yes - AutoZone - the zoned out place for parts. Went in one day and asked for a starter for a GMC Caballero. Girl looked at me like I'm crazy (which I am, but that's another story). So I explain it's a GMC. OK, what year. 1983. What engine? 350. Thats not listed. So what, just give me a starter for a 350 Chevy of that year. What model? Any model,as long as it's a 350. OK. Goes and gets a starter.
Lug it home, doesn't fit. Call them up, oh she gave you one for a 302. Why? I specifically asked for one for a 350. Long pause - she thought you had to have a 302 because that's what the computer listed. Took it back next day, and asked for one for a 350. Guy this time, said three days, and $185.00. NO way, give me back my old one and I'll have it rebuilt. By this time the manager is there, says wait a minute. Takes the number off the old starter, goes in the back and brings out the right starter. $4.00 cheaper than the first one. Gotta love 'em!

RubberDuck 11-22-2005 11:51 PM

For my dually......"Are those pipes real?".....No, the soot around the tips is painted on.

My bogger....."What's that sticking out the hood?" Exhaust...."Man, I bet that's loud!" Uhhhh, yeah.

....."Holy Crap! Is that a blower?" No, it's a big carburator that's belt driven.
....."How much Horsepower does that thing have?" I don't know, but if you want to drive it on the dyno in 3rd gear wide open and can avoid craping in the seat because any second it may jump off due to massive vibrations and tire hop we'll both know. "yeah, I guess that thing wouldn't be good on a dyno." Nothing big, maybe 400 if I'm lucky.

......"What kind of fuel mileage does that thing get?" Well, since the race fuel I run is $7.00 a gallon, I quit driving it on the highway. "Is that thing street legal?" Absolutely, I just have to put mud flaps on it. NO DUMB ASS.

.....And my favorite of all came from an old man who is a good friend. This guy acutally always asked about it during the build up......."Is that thing 4 wheel drive?" Nope, it's time for your geritol my friend.

RubberDuck

go_racing84 11-23-2005 12:16 AM

"Gonna paint it?" And when I drove to the gas station for the first time after getting the motor back in, it had no front axle shafts or hub lockouts: "Guess you won't be gettin' very far in 4wd, huh?" Had to hang my head on that one :D

turbocoupe5.0 11-23-2005 12:26 AM

Hey Bremen242, my truck got nicknamed the Valdez too. 1 quart every 300 miles. I just rebuilt the motor. The leak was a hole rotted throught the oil pan.

Stroker_Deezel 11-23-2005 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ivanribic
This was topped only by the time when Dusten was riding with me and some guy at a bus stop started cussing us out. There was an exchange of words and then I opened the cutouts. Dusten finished the conversation with "Enjoy your ride on the bus!" Hmm . . . maybe it's got more to do with my passengers than the truck. :D

I resemble that remark ya jerk

bremen242 11-23-2005 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by turbocoupe5.0
Hey Bremen242, my truck got nicknamed the Valdez too. 1 quart every 300 miles. I just rebuilt the motor. The leak was a hole rotted throught the oil pan.

hehe.. gotta luv that. except I think it used a quart every 30 miles.. :eek:

had a good sized rear main leak...

KubotaOrange76 11-23-2005 05:32 PM

i guess the best comment ive had was when someone pulled up in a mini van next to my truck sitting upside down in a ditch, and they asked what we were doing

Franken-Truck 11-23-2005 07:58 PM

You were trying to figure out where that noise was coming from right? :-D

RawPower 11-23-2005 09:37 PM

wait, you know how to change your own oil? I thought you had to go to school for that kinda stuff... :-X15

damn, that person should seen my engine bay a half a year ago... it was EMPTY... then seen the shop. :rolleyes: