Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Regular gasoline at $3.20 per gallon (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/356578-regular-gasoline-at-3-20-per-gallon.html)

Scott_XLT 03-18-2005 04:57 AM

Cheer up guys! I remember back in the '70s during those gas crises there were predictions that the world would run out of oil by the year 2000 and gas would just continue to go up, up, up until then. Gold was $800 an ounce, silver was $50 dollars an ounce, and inflation was never going to stop. Well supply and demand took over and gas went down, down, down. What we have here is just a temporary (but still painful) imbalance. Oil producing nations will ramp up eventually to accomodate the increase in demand from Asian nations (mostly China), and gas will eventually go back down -- maybe not as cheap as it was a few years ago, but not so bad as today.

Personally, I wish we would just hurry up and use up all the Petroleum reserves so that we can finally transition to something more sustainable and cleaner. But that's not going to happen in my lifetime (and I have at least 40 years to go...).

DS02F250 03-18-2005 05:27 AM

$2.31/gal. here in Central CA.for regular unleaded; $2.46/gal for diesel.

DS :mad:

IB Tim 03-18-2005 06:24 AM

is anyone reconsidering or thinking they wouldn't have bought a SD
Nope I bought my SD to do one thing...Pull....funny about fuel prices..we will complain and still pay.

Megalodon1 03-18-2005 06:34 AM

The problem here is leadership. We had this same dilemma back in 1999-2000.
Opec nations were bullying prices up then too. Clinton released huge stockpiles from the federal reserve to create a surplus and threatened to release much more - Opec panicked - prices went back down. I remember congressional hearings with oil execs being questioned on the unreasonably high prices of fueland the implications it would have on the rest of the economy (we're talking 1.80 or so at the time).

After trying to convice congress the prices were justified on costs, etc, they were told point blank - bring prices down, or forget about the US being your number one donator of both foreign aid and military protection, they were also told that authority would be given to drill our own known vast stockpiles in Alaska. Again prices were kept in check.This is'int the first time Opec has tried to monopolise our economy into an unbalanced condition - but leadership is different now.

IB Tim 03-18-2005 06:42 AM

Remember no politicks here.....just thought I would help ;)

cetane anyone ?? 03-18-2005 07:03 AM

Unfortunately gas prices and poltics are in in the same bed. It soon becomes hard to talk about one without the other coming up sooner or later. Sorry. We'll try to keep it clean here.

t_j82 03-18-2005 07:15 AM

Anyone notice that the minute it was released that ANWR was opened for drilling OPEC said they would raise their output? I thought that might happen. When I finish building my house I am going to seriously look at a bio diesel tank on the back of the property, maybe time to start brewing? Even more incentive, price went up 4 cents yesterday to $2.53 gal.

FordMan1979 03-18-2005 07:26 AM

I work for an industrial manufacturer that supports the oil and gas industry. I recently heard from a refinery that diesel is going to skyrocket due to government regulations set to go into effect in 2006. The regulations are forcing refineries to practically rebuild everything in order to make the process cleaner. They sais straight out, if you have a diesel you should sell it.

Megalodon1 03-18-2005 07:59 AM

Sorry Tim - not trying to get too much into politics, but it's hard to give a full opinion without a little bit of it - since politicians and their decisions they make obviously have a major role in how to or how not to deal with the current fuel situation. I'm all for free trade and govt minding it's own business for the most part, but there comes a time when they actually must act to protect our way of life.

I think our government needs to regulate fuel commerce and production even more stringently then they do now. Make it an offense against federal interests for oil companies to close down plants and lay off workers for the sole purpose of manipulating demand and supply. Eliminate the practice of buying oil reserves by margin. Or at least make those making the purchases pay in cash up front for it - this would eliminate many scammers from manipulating prices as well. Those with cash to pay up front can only buy so much and the less this happens, the less panick there will be on wall street.

Tariff the crap out of Opec countries who endorse bending us over. We are the world's largest consumer of petroleum -probably by a factor of x3 or x4 over the next highest oil consuming country (whomever that may be) - we should be entitled to a discount rate. I say if Opec wants to make us pay - we make them pay - FOR EVERYTHING. No more freebies. Withdraw our military support - without ole' sugar daddy around, they will be forced into spending money to protect their own interests (a quality military is not cheap - in fact, a large professional standing army costs a FORTUNE to train and keep adequetely supplied - if you can even find enough quality personnel to fill the ranks).No more donations for development in these countries. Double the tariff rates on all trade for Opec countries.

5.00 per gallon is too much. 3.00 per gallon is too much. So is 2.00 per gallon IMO.
I've heard many times "Why buy a Super Duty if your worried about gas mileage - go buy a Civic" - but come on, there's a big difference between 1.80 - 1.90 per gallon and 3-5.00 per gallon. Besides, how many contractors can tow or carry all their tools and materials in a Civic? A Civic will work just as well for the soccer mom who can just park her 8,000lb Excursion she uses only to go to the mall every other day, but parking your truck simply won't work for guys who need to use their trucks for work everyday.

We can't refuse to pay - Opec and the oil companies know this, only government can help.

MO2002F250 03-18-2005 08:00 AM

Just to throw my 3.00 dollars into this mix. According to the news agencies the cost of fuel at the pump is due to the refineries not having enough capacity to turn out enough fuel for the consumer. I full believe the cost of fuel at the pump is being driven by greed from the oil companies. Yes they are paying more for a barrel of oil, but I would love to see Exxon/Mobil open there books to say a 60 minutes show and justify the cost of fuel at the pumps. The other items we do not pay much attention to is the rising cost of Natural Gas is going to cause Electricity to rise. If something does not change, people will not be able to heat there homes, turn on lights, etc..

Just my two cents. Still going to drive the Diesel everyday that I can.

rollnthunder_76 03-18-2005 09:12 AM

Let me ask this i work at a parts store and with oil prices rising and rising why dont the price of the oil i sell go up too?I have been at this place for 2 years and in 2 years time the oil may have changed a dime.I have even seen it go down.It makes no since.I think its all GREED.Also you wait and see the us will shut down.I know some trucking companies are already charging fuel surcharges as high as 13%.I use to own my own trucking company and couple of years ago when this all happened Bush stepped in and knocked the taxes down so whats going to happen this time.Truckers are already parking there trucks and not accepting loads out to states where the fuel is $3.00 a gallon.In do time all hell is going to break loose.The only reason i know a little about whats going on in trucking is because my family still drive.On family member has already parked his truck and another sold his.But its getting time to park my SD and ride the Harley......

R1ZOOM 03-18-2005 12:08 PM

I just wonder why our leadership doesn't divert some give-a-way funds to alternative fuel research. Biodiesel is a biggie. I also saw a hydrogen fuel cell motorcycle on cnn.com yesterday. I have another opinion too, but it's too political and I don't want to get the thread closed, but how many in Washington own big oil comapny stocks? And do they have to worry about fuel prices a lot, no because they are riding around in govt. vehicles that taxpayers buy the gas for, so why should they care, it doesn't hurt their pocketbooks. Additionally, from my understanding Ford will not provide warranty service to your engine if you use biodiesel, so why doesn't Washington step in and mandate Ford, Cummins, Isuzu, Chevrolet, etc to honor warranty claims for alternatively fueled biodiesel vehicles? Once again, look at what stocks many politicians invest heavily in. There's no crisis incentive for them to change things right now.

*****While poltically focused, this post attacks neither republicans or democrats, because IMHO neither side is doing enough, so please don't take it as too politically charged towards any one group.******

jeffwoehrle 03-18-2005 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MO2002F250
Just to throw my 3.00 dollars into this mix. According to the news agencies the cost of fuel at the pump is due to the refineries not having enough capacity to turn out enough fuel for the consumer. I full believe the cost of fuel at the pump is being driven by greed from the oil companies. Yes they are paying more for a barrel of oil, but I would love to see Exxon/Mobil open there books to say a 60 minutes show and justify the cost of fuel at the pumps. ...

Hey, if 60 Minutes can't get the interview they will just make it up...LOL

Well, if somebody is going to make a killing on fuel I'd much prefer it to be Exxon rather than Saudi Arabia, etc. American companies employ American workers (mostly) and pay dividends to American citizens (as well as American colleges, retirement funds and the like).

If we are all going to get the collective shaft on prices, at least some of it will come back to us. Although not all of us...

Big Sky 03-18-2005 06:36 PM

I know we've talked about developing countries and how they are becoming more developed, but does any one know if there is oil under China??

polarbear 03-18-2005 06:51 PM

re: fuel prices. I haven't seen anyone mention it, but the fact that we haven't built a refinery on either coast in over 30 years has more to do with the problem than the price of oil per se, or the Mid-East specifically. We get more of our oil from Africa and South America (Saudi crude is generally too high in sulphur).

re: China. They have a little oil (not much), but developing countries and economies will keep the pressure on for quite awhile, I'm afraid.