Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Adding a Rear Sway Bar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1462171-adding-a-rear-sway-bar.html)

rjoseph1960 11-14-2016 12:17 PM

Added Sway Bar Bracket

On the 17 Super Duty's, to add a Sway Bar you will also add a Bracket to the frame, I listed the Bracket part number and hardware in the previous email needed to install... The install job took less than an hour...

Mooser1234 11-14-2016 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rjoseph1960 (Post 16719267)
HC3Z-5A772-A BAR
7C3Z-5486-B RETAINER (2)
HC3Z-5K484-D LINK (2)
HC3Z-5L499-A BRACKET (2)
W500634-S309 BOLT (4)
W500644-S439 BOLT (4)
W520214-S440 NUT (4)
W717462-S439 NUT (4)

Thank you very much for listing these parts!!! I was not able to order the rear sway with the 20" wheels on the F350 Plat....

well done sir well done!!!:-jammin

rjoseph1960 11-14-2016 01:27 PM

I have added many Sway Bar's to Ford trucks and E-Vans. You will notice the difference the minute you tow or load the truck and drive on the x-way...
I have been a Auto Tech for 20 years and now teach... I have worked for Ford and GM, Ford builds a better truck hands down!!...
Thank you for the compliment... Bob

jdunk54nl 11-14-2016 01:47 PM

Are you ordering from your local dealer or online? If online from where?

17 Oaks 11-14-2016 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rasalas (Post 16720082)
Did you have the 20" wheels? Camper pkg is not available with them. Another difference F250/F350 is the 3 leaf spring pack on the F250 which is a 4 leaf on the F350.

It is just a few dollars more for the Hellwig Big Wig sway bar for anyone hauling heavy with a top heavy load (such as a slide in camper) which will better perform than the OEM. They do give a harsher ride, however.
Big Wig - the Ultimate in Towing Solutions | Hellwig Products

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16720178)
The Hellwig is indeed nice Rob but it sacrifices ride quality. For a TC like you run, I'd make that compromise but for 5th wheel towing I think the OEM bar should be sufficient. Heck, I'm not even sure I'd notice whether it's there or not.

To the OP, lots of guys with the previous gen (11-16) have installed their own due to be being excluded from trucks with 20" wheels. The only thing they've said is a PITA is getting to the nut on the top of the sway bar link on the drivers side. On those trucks, the DEF tank had to be loosened and moved a bit to get to the space where the nut needed to be tightened. Is it the same on the 17's or where you able to bolt everything right up without any interference from other components? I was guessing that maybe with the boxed frame that there was just a weld nut in that location now but have no idea. I was just at a dealer yesterday and forgot to look.

Rob, Rodney,

Unless there has been a change for 17 the Big Wig is a 3 hole adjustable sway bar. I ran the center hole and could be harsh if the road was not good, on the #1 its stiffer than OEM (if equipped) but gives a good ride and really gives a seat of the pants feel in the handling dept, truck feels like and does handle out here on the ranch roads with their NARROW lanes and hairpins. #3 if for those who are always loaded...

Rasalas 11-14-2016 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks (Post 16721639)
Rob, Rodney,

Unless there has been a change for 17 the Big Wig is a 3 hole adjustable sway bar. I ran the center hole and could be harsh if the road was not good, on the #1 its stiffer than OEM (if equipped) but gives a good ride and really gives a seat of the pants feel in the handling dept, truck feels like and does handle out here on the ranch roads with their NARROW lanes and hairpins. #3 if for those who are always loaded...

I have maintained the middle hole for the stress the slide in camper adds and to help balance out the air ride. And I understand stiffer ride after removing the factory anti sway which was almost ineffective. One problem is being on an F250 without the upper overloads or an extra leaf in the front. New truck will be better prepared right from the start and I am adding the TorkLift Stableloads which should give me switchable stiffer support under load but the stock ride empty. If the factory anti sway seems to be a problem again I can always upsize to the the BigWig. It will be a one step at a time set of improvements. Even with no doctrine to follow I know it will be good when done. It worked for thousands of miles on the F250, technically way overloaded but (8800 lb OEM MGW) corrected for with heavier components and airbags. I consider the stickers a guide on which to build. Hopefully there will not be so much building this time. Thanks to you both for the comments. I know Rodney and I are on the same page for sure.

17 Oaks 11-15-2016 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rasalas (Post 16722061)
I have maintained the middle hole for the stress the slide in camper adds and to help balance out the air ride. And I understand stiffer ride after removing the factory anti sway which was almost ineffective. One problem is being on an F250 without the upper overloads or an extra leaf in the front. New truck will be better prepared right from the start and I am adding the TorkLift Stableloads which should give me switchable stiffer support under load but the stock ride empty. If the factory anti sway seems to be a problem again I can always upsize to the the BigWig. It will be a one step at a time set of improvements. Even with no doctrine to follow I know it will be good when done. It worked for thousands of miles on the F250, technically way overloaded but (8800 lb OEM MGW) corrected for with heavier components and airbags. I consider the stickers a guide on which to build. Hopefully there will not be so much building this time. Thanks to you both for the comments. I know Rodney and I are on the same page for sure.

Gosh, wish I had known, just gave a set away, I ran them on my dually and agree best of both worlds IMO.

I also ran the Rancho RS 9000XL adjustable shocks and IIRC was running the setting on 7 on the rear, unless I was also pulling my trailer and had the camper loaded, then went for the 9.

We MISS our slide in Arctic Fox 1150 but my old Bloodhound, Duke just could not longer jump up or jump out and at 85 lbs he was a load to lift. The 5th wheel has negated the need to pull a trailer sometimes due to the added storage the 5th has. But I suspect we may go back down he road and look at a multi slide camper.

Rasalas 11-15-2016 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks (Post 16722470)
Gosh, wish I had known, just gave a set away, I ran them on my dually and agree best of both worlds IMO.

Thanks for the offer. I found an in the box brand new set listed as used on Amazon over $100 less than regular price. Must have been a return but it is the correct set and all parts were there and unused. Just not looking forward to drilling the springs bit maybe I will risk my solid carbide drills for pilot holes. Should be a little easier. Or make one of the drill presses they offer for free (excluding 2 way shipping). Some days I feel like your old favorite hound. The floor is a long ways away, vertical is even further.:-X22

17 Oaks 11-15-2016 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rasalas (Post 16722576)
Thanks for the offer. I found an in the box brand new set listed as used on Amazon over $100 less than regular price. Must have been a return but it is the correct set and all parts were there and unused. Just not looking forward to drilling the springs bit maybe I will risk my solid carbide drills for pilot holes. Should be a little easier. Or make one of the drill presses they offer for free (excluding 2 way shipping). Some days I feel like your old favorite hound. The floor is a long ways away, vertical is even further.:-X22

My Tork lifts were orginally bought for my '09 F 350, the fit on my '11 dually and my '15 dually and I never had to do any drilling. I never had to lift or even remove my tires. IIRC I used a cutoff wheel or a sawzall to cut my OEM off and the Tork Lifts had a bolt that when thru the existing hole where the OEM rubber was at....

17 Oaks 11-15-2016 08:00 AM

Rob, Rodney, don't know if you guy subscribe to this or not but its free and has a lot of good articles and info online:

Truck Camper Magazine

kylant 11-15-2016 08:29 AM

rasalas,

are you going to use both the stable loads and the bigger upper leaf bumpstops from torklift, or just the bottoms?
I am going this route on the new truck instead of air bags. I find that bags are kind of a pain in the rear

Rasalas 11-15-2016 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by kylant (Post 16722794)
rasalas,

are you going to use both the stable loads and the bigger upper leaf bumpstops from torklift, or just the bottoms?
I am going this route on the new truck instead of air bags. I find that bags are kind of a pain in the rear

I am starting with just the lowers. The payload is somewhere between 3900 and 4700 pounds, depending on which chart I read. Camper is dry weight 2650 pounds which is essentially 3300 pounds when fully charged. Then add personnel (2 of us) and our gear and we are at least at 4000 lbs. A couple of short trips and we should have it dialed in. The uppers are on the maybe list. I don't want them engaged at all times but I also don't want to have to install and uninstall between trips. Air bags will be the third main option. I have them now and the system is fine: a switch and gauge under the dash will inflate or deflate at will. I do not like it that the airbags, when bringing the truck to level completely surpass the springs and the airbags present more lean and sway. Maybe a smoother ride but the handling is different in a negative quality. In combination with the heavier springs of the F350 there might be a happy medium. Opinions I have found through forums and RV sights are all over the place. I have a tendency to disbelieve them all when they are so scattered and will head off down the path described above.

And yes a DRW would solve 95% of the issues, but then there is my lovely Susie who can tell the exact right vehicle for the job just from a picture on the interweb and watching the various trucks drive by the house.:-X19

System 11-15-2016 09:00 AM

Torklift recommends starting with the lowers so good plan Rob. The uppers can slap the overloads when driving unloaded and will make for a jarring ride...

Rasalas 11-15-2016 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16722890)
Torklift recommends starting with the lowers so good plan Rob. The uppers can slap the overloads when driving unloaded and will make for a jarring ride...

Thanks Rodney. I thought the same thing. I also thought about using wing nuts and lock washers on the uppers but it looks like the truck might have to be jacked to give enough separation to remove the uppers. Time will tell the full story.

System 11-18-2016 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjoseph1960 (Post 16719226)
On the 17 Super Duty's, to add a Sway Bar you will also add a Bracket to the frame, I listed the Bracket part number and hardware in the previous email needed to install... The install job took less than an hour...

Thanks again for the info!