Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   6.7 vs 6.0 vs 6.4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1245207-6-7-vs-6-0-vs-6-4-a.html)

mohle 05-24-2013 11:03 PM

We have had two 6.4's in our fleet, both went down with fuel system problems that are outrageously expensive to fix. Maintenance had always been kept up on them, but the high pressure fuel pumps still failed and required replacement of the whole system. Also have two 6.0's and they are still going strong. Looked at 6.7 for myself, but way too expensive. Kept my 6.0 for towing the family 5th wheel and bought a 2013 Ram 1500 for daily driving.

sammy77 05-25-2013 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 13193248)
A friend of mine just bought a new 6.7L Lariat for under $50. Seems like they are beginning to deal on them.

You're right.
Local dealer had $9k cash back and 0% interest for 60 months on a few '13's!
Basically wiping the added diesel cost away. VERY tempting...don't ask how I know...:-X15

Frankenbiker 05-25-2013 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 13193248)
A friend of mine just bought a new 6.7L Lariat for under $50. Seems like they are beginning to deal on them.

Yeah.... they finally figured out that the 1/3 of the market that can't use these trucks as a tax write-off, balks at paying $70K for a truck. I suspect most of these buyers have been around long enough to remember when a fairly nice house cost less.

When last I was at the dealer closest to me (for the cheapest PSD service in the state), I was wandering around the lot looking at the shiny new toys while they performed the service.

Anything with a diesel was well north of $65K.

The only way to get below $40K was to buy a single-cab stripper.

-blaine

Stroker 6.0 fan 05-25-2013 10:43 PM

I personally have not tried the 6.4 or 6.7 but, have talked to folks who have and or own them. The sticker price on them is quite high. Having twin turbos with the California emissions standards is a drag as you are twice as likly to have turbo foul ups. They also run twin egr coolers but, at least Ford learned from the problems with the 6.0 egr coolers and fixed that issue. The biggest issue I hear is working on them. It is very difficult if not darn near impossible to do any work on the motors without having to pull the cabs which is expensive.

All I can say is I love my 6.0. I run it pretty much stock and tow a horse trailer. It has 110k on it and, I am very anal with the oil changes every 5k miles. So far the truck has taken care of me.

Poor'it in'her 10-14-2013 04:16 AM

I love my 05 6.0 bought it on the cheap from a auction,it wasn't running, I knew nothing about powerstroke's and was able to get the thing running, I doubt I could have done that with the 6.4 or 6.7!

wulfman 10-14-2013 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4 (Post 13192820)
My 6.0L is paid for, does that count? :D

Yep thats the word , paid for .

Mine has been for 6 1/2 years now , so if i do fix anything its nothing like making a payment .:-X22

loubell 10-14-2013 10:52 AM

Asking this question in a 6.0 forum is going to result in a very biased outcome. I don't know a better way to present this question to the masses, but this forum is full of people who are sticking with this drivetrain.

In addition, some of the points brought up about the 6.4 + 6.7 are the same points that were said about the 6.0 vs. the 7.3 a several years ago: hard to work on, no factory or aftermarket support for known problems, purchase price.

Black1 10-14-2013 12:29 PM

Since I bought my '04 in '04:

Fuel has tripled in price.
Trucks have doubled in price.
My income is down >35%.

So I won't be buying a 6.7 anytime soon, unless I win the lottery.

And from my view in the cheap seats the 6.4 was uglier than homemade shoes.

VQT 10-14-2013 01:07 PM

Waiting for Mike Chan to put in his knowledge

diesel_dan 10-14-2013 02:40 PM

The one person I talked into buying a 6.4 I've been trying to get to sell it -- I'm worried something's going to happen since she rarely drives the dang thing. I've popped in on the 6.7 forum here and there, and while early on there were some issues, all the guys over there seem to have to discuss is what bling to buy our how huge a 5th wheel they're towing :p. They're damn quiet and damn powerful, and very damn complex -- but in the horse folk circles we hang in, not a single thing but praise for the 6.7.

As for buying one: used to be Ford employees could give out X plan pins, like maybe 10 a year? That drops the price to invoice or a bit less right off the bat, then any other incentives are added on top. We had some employees on FTE that would help out fellow members with that, some years ago (before some retired ;)). Then we also had Ernie Knoellinger on here that would give an FTE discount through his dealership -- that's how we bought our '07 -- we can get X-plan pricing and Ernie would even beat that by a hundred or two.

Wonder if we have any dealers on board now? Or Ford employees? (if their policy is the same). It is many thousands off and a no hassle deal with one of those routes...

We just dumped a chunk of money into bullet proofing mods for our low miles 6.0. But my wife has zero tolerance for unreliable vehicles, so if it were to start having issues, my guess is a new truck would be in the future... There are some pretty cool features in the new Fords :-X06

Per4mance 10-14-2013 03:05 PM

I drove a 6.7 with heavy mods done to it. I've got to say it was awsome beyond belief, but so was the price tag.

npccpartsman 10-14-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Per4mance (Post 13627210)
I drove a 6.7 with heavy mods done to it. I've got to say it was awsome beyond belief, but so was the price tag.

There was a "stock" 6.7 that put down 800 rwhp back in the early days basically on tuning. That's insane for a stock truck.

Per4mance 10-14-2013 03:46 PM

When I stepped on the skinny pedal on that 6.7 like I do in my truck it went side ways that quick.....unbelievable ! It cost him 7 grand in mill mods

2ndStroke 10-14-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by npccpartsman (Post 13627235)
There was a "stock" 6.7 that put down 800 rwhp back in the early days basically on tuning. That's insane for a stock truck.

Was that the truck in the h&s "breaking point" video??

npccpartsman 10-14-2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndStroke (Post 13627371)
Was that the truck in the h&s "breaking point" video??

Could have been. I think it was an H&S truck but it's been a while.