Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Will this plumbing diagram for my aux tank work? MS Paint included (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1231316-will-this-plumbing-diagram-for-my-aux-tank-work-ms-paint-included.html)

lngwca 09-13-2017 07:38 AM

What tank is this?. I have been looking for a small one like this. Thanks

Sous 09-13-2017 07:56 AM

Those pictures were posted 4 years ago, so you may not get a response. To me, it looks like a homemade/custom tank.

UcaN 09-13-2017 08:41 AM

Good morning.... yes indeed it is a custom made tank. It's been a few years but all i did was go to a metal supply shop and purchased all the threaded bungs and sheet metal (can't remember what gauge i used) then i took it to another metal shop to have it cut up and bent to the shape and size i provided them.

I plumbed both feed and return lines (feed line drivers side, return line passenger side which is visible in pic above) via a Polak switching valve bypassing the main tank completely. If you notice i have a float sender on the passenger side of the tank which was wired to a switch in the cab, thus making this a complete and separate system. When i hit the switch the main tank is disabled and the truck is fed from my top tank. Makes it real nice not having to get out of the truck and opening a valve.

It's just a small 30 gallon tank which is enough for my needs.

Forgot to mention the fittings on the top drivers side. The large fitting is to fill up the tank... the smaller fitting with the black cap is used to transfer fuel to an off-highway truck i have. I pressurize the tank via the air fitting (10lbs) and viola no need for an electric transfer pump.

lngwca 09-14-2017 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by UcaN (Post 17460831)
Good morning.... yes indeed it is a custom made tank. It's been a few years but all i did was go to a metal supply shop and purchased all the threaded bungs and sheet metal (can't remember what gauge i used) then i took it to another metal shop to have it cut up and bent to the shape and size i provided them.

I plumbed both feed and return lines (feed line drivers side, return line passenger side which is visible in pic above) via a Polak switching valve bypassing the main tank completely. If you notice i have a float sender on the passenger side of the tank which was wired to a switch in the cab, thus making this a complete and separate system. When i hit the switch the main tank is disabled and the truck is fed from my top tank. Makes it real nice not having to get out of the truck and opening a valve.

It's just a small 30 gallon tank which is enough for my needs.

Forgot to mention the fittings on the top drivers side. The large fitting is to fill up the tank... the smaller fitting with the black cap is used to transfer fuel to an off-highway truck i have. I pressurize the tank via the air fitting (10lbs) and viola no need for an electric transfer pump.

Thanks for the reply. The search continues. I'm looking for something slim like this. 20-30 gallons. But appreciate the info. I found a thin DeeZee 9" deep tank however it measures 60" and hits the "rolled" up bottom of of my f250 bed.

afmedic 09-14-2017 02:04 PM

Northern tool has a large selection of transfer tanks. I just installed 2 90 gallon tanks on our dually at work that came from there. They hit the curve on the bed too, but a small platform took care of that

DieselDenny 09-14-2017 02:42 PM

Holy over-engineering!!

I run an aux tank, gravity feed. Simple ball valve on the side of the tank to shut it off if not needed, and can quick disconnect if I need more bed space.

It won't overflow and will disconnect and eject if you roll. If you don't want a constant feed just roll the valve, otherwise your main stays full and your gauge reads full until the aux is exhausted.

I fail to see why you would have a no win situation with just a gravity feed??

My 2 bits but always interested in learning.

Denny

SkySkiJason 09-14-2017 03:47 PM

:I agree with Denny!!

And the 6-port pollack valve is famous for sucking air and just failing to work.

If your aux tank is smaller than main tank, no worry about overfill anyway. But, the fill kits for the aux tanks work good and that is what I would use. (If I didn't burn veggie oil!!! :p)

carl2591 09-15-2017 09:35 PM

I was just going to install a 37 gallon tank in bed. I had installed a 1/4" fitting on top of tank near the back when I did the hutch mod and ran a section of fuel line to to front of bed under the cab.

I plan to put a small diesel transfer pump under there with a N/C elec solenoid valve that will be wired with the pump. (pump on valve open)

I figure when the main tank get to 1/4 I turn on pump, which opens valve and allows fuel to flow through pump to tank while going down the road..

according to spec the pump will flow 35 gallons per hour so i might need to start the pump a bit sooner like below 1/2 tank.

not complex and very useful.